Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 27 2013, 10:59 PM   #3001
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

with $457 million worldwide, Star Trek Into Darkness is no flop and will eventually make money once Trekkies buy the Blu Rays.

That a movie can make $457 and still not be in the black is quite mind blowing. I wonder if Nemesis, after a decade of DVD and Bluray re-releases, has finally turned a profit?
Old August 27 2013, 11:14 PM   #3002
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yup. The marketing for the film definitely could have been better. And I have said several times that, while using Khan was the absolute right choice, keeping the cat in the bag was a poor choice. They could have just gone with it as far back as the early teaser, even used TWOK footage (wouldn't be a first for a Trek teaser).

Something like:

Start with delta over a black screen and MontalKhan: "Do you know of the old Klingon proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold? It is very cold in space." Fade into a moving star field slowly zooming on Vengeance, with Shat's "Khan!" echoing in the background. Cut to, CumbyKhan, "Shall we begin?" Fade out to Title, date, credits.

Obviously, not the best example. I'm just trying to show that something like that would have not only put it out there, but by invoking the obviously inevitable comparison/contrast, they've instantly created a natural buzz on the interwebz.

Would it made a huge difference? Probably not, but even 5-10% would have bumped the film into the next bracket.
Old August 27 2013, 11:49 PM   #3003
Flake
Commodore

Well, in the UK I felt there was very little advertising on TV.

There are currently adverts running on UK TV for a new magazine that lets you collect all the starships in Star Trek every fortnight and I am seeing this advert more frequently than I saw adverts for STID!

EDIT: I have got issue 1 of that and the E-D looks great, though annoyingly because of this Paramount/CBS crap I don't think I will get NuEnt/Kelvin/Vengeance unfortunately.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:21 AM   #3004
LeadHead
Interstellar Man of Mystery

So apparently there'll be a Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z double feature thing going soon. Wonder how much that will add to the domestic totals.
Old August 28 2013, 04:33 AM   #3005
Opus
Commodore

Yes, I agree with Forbes assessment of STiD. The marketing of the movie was pretty piss poor, and I can say Khan's reveal in the movie was lacking. They should have gone without the secrecy and go with an awesome Khan movie right out of the gate. TOS' main villian is Khan. He's The Joker to Batman. They missed a perfect opportunity.

That said, still love STiD. Great f-ing flick.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:17 AM   #3006
Dream
Admiral

LeadHead wrote: View Post
So apparently there'll be a Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z double feature thing going soon. Wonder how much that will add to the domestic totals.
They are mainly doing that so WWZ can cross 200 Million in America.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:06 AM   #3007
Dream
Admiral

Something interesting about what happens if a film can reach a certain milestone like 200 or 300 million.

UPDATE! A smart person in distribution contacted me and explained exactly why $200 million is so important, and it's more than bragging rights. It's pay TV! If World War Z passes 200, Paramount gets to ask a lot more money for it from HBO or whoever! It's a huge difference, like tens of millions of dollars more. Basically if Paramount bought all the seats at every show of this double feature they'd still make a bunch of money on the TV deal. The more you know!
http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/27/p...o-200-million/
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:18 AM   #3008
LeadHead
Interstellar Man of Mystery

That is interesting, I just hope that STID gets some benefit from having this week of double feature screenings.
Old August 28 2013, 02:49 PM   #3009
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
with $457 million worldwide, Star Trek Into Darkness is no flop and will eventually make money once Trekkies buy the Blu Rays.

That a movie can make $457 and still not be in the black is quite mind blowing. I wonder if Nemesis, after a decade of DVD and Bluray re-releases, has finally turned a profit?
With all due respect, it made its money back some time ago. The budget was $190,000,000. So the profit so far has been $257,000,000.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:52 PM   #3010
Borgminister

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post

With all due respect, it made its money back some time ago. The budget was $190,000,000. So the profit so far has been $257,000,000.
Oh no you didn't!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:32 PM   #3011
bbailey861
Admiral

LeadHead wrote: View Post
I think this is a great idea and hope they do it in Kingston. I would happily go see the two of them again in a double feature. Is the timing set to coincide with the Blu-ray release?
bbailey861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:33 PM   #3012
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

There are dozens of pages in this thread explaining how that the ticket revenue at the theater does not just all magically get delivered to the movie studios any more than every time you buy a pair of shoes at Foot Locker that all the money goes to Nike.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:42 PM   #3013
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Does that figure include marketing and other costs? And is that profit figure money the studio has made, or simply money in tickets sold?

From the NY Times:
The Viacom-owned studio has increased its international marketing budget for the film by 35 percent over that for the 2009 film, asked stars to do an unusual amount of globetrotting and staggered the release dates to shield “Into Darkness” from competition.
These are costs which have to be factored in before the studio can make a profit.

EDIT: This article talks in detail about how movies make a profit, but their short answer is this:
...a rule of thumb seems to be that the film needs to make twice its production budget globally.

Last edited by Hober Mallow; August 28 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:21 PM   #3014
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

KGator wrote: View Post

There are dozens of pages in this thread explaining how that the ticket revenue at the theater does not just all magically get delivered to the movie studios any more than every time you buy a pair of shoes at Foot Locker that all the money goes to Nike.
There are ALSO dozens of pages in this thread where people explain how movie studios artificially inflate production budget figures as well. (IE Claim the film cost way more to make than it actually did.)

In the end, the simple fact is that STiD made $457+ million worldwide to date. If that's not enough to earn a tidy profit in itself - then it's amazing how all these 'poor money loosing studios' in Hollywood survive.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:49 PM   #3015
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Borgminister wrote: View Post

Oh no you didn't!
Did what?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote