Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 28 2013, 03:16 AM   #31
dub
Captain

Re: Would Nemesis Have Fared Better?

I didn't hate Nemesis, but I've always thought it would have been so much better and more dramatic (and more believable) if Patrick Stewart played Shinzon. Was that ever considered?
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:05 AM   #32
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ It was, apparently. I don't know why they didn't run with it. Maybe they thought having two Brent Spiners and two Patrick Stewarts running around on screen would have been too much?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:59 AM   #33
AllStarEntprise
Captain

^ on the 2009 release of Nemesis dvd and bluray, Brent Spiner talks about it. He says that Berman was against having everyone play 2 of themselves. This was when Nemesis was originally to be a Mirror Universe flick. Brent goes on to say something to the extent of they had done a lot of it before (DS9) and Rick really didn't understand it.

Even Berman hated the Mirror episodes of DS9! Brilliant.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:15 AM   #34
TheSubCommander
Commander

I am still of the opinion that had rather than go with a clone of Picard, Shinzon could have also just been a renegade Romulan, with Sela as an ally, it would have been a lot better.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:54 AM   #35
AllStarEntprise
Captain

^ You know Denise Crosby tried to get a part in the movie and Rick Berman told her there was no place where they could fit her in? Like wth man. She could've easily taken the bulk of Donatra's role. It could've been Sela and Donatra who rallied the Romulans to help the Enterprise fight Shinzon. Idk, if NEM had a bigger budget maybe it would've been better. $50 million for the film's budget and another $10 million for advertising. I think with a $100 million dollar budget we could've got a grander film. Which would include more shots of Romulus, a bigger cast, finer special effects and the big starship battle at the end with the two Romulans ships and Starfleet's Battle Group Omega vs the Scimitar. That would've been cool.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 09:23 AM   #36
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

The first "how could Nemesis have been better" thread I remember appeared not long after the film.

I had suggested instead of cloning Picard they cloned Kirk from his corpse on Veridian III. Then have Spock kidnapped while he was on Romulus, brain washed and thus becoming the viceroy. And no B4. So basically the film becomes Picard/Data vs. Evil Kirk/Spock.

Yeah, it's silly (I was 10 years younger.), but really not anymore stupid than the actual plot. Plus, it had that extra element of awesome going for it.

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ You know Denise Crosby tried to get a part in the movie and Rick Berman told her there was no place where they could fit her in? Like wth man. She could've easily taken the bulk of Donatra's role. It could've been Sela and Donatra who rallied the Romulans to help the Enterprise fight Shinzon.
That doesn't really match with her character.
Old August 28 2013, 09:42 AM   #37
lurok
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So basically the film becomes Picard/Data vs. Evil Kirk/Spock.
I'd much rather have watched that.
Old August 28 2013, 09:49 AM   #38
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Nemesis should have re-introduced Lore and Tom Riker, and a clone of Picard at his age.

TRIPLE TWINS!

Also flashbacks to Tasha Yar and then future scenes with Sela.

QUADRUPEL THE FUN!

In hindsight, Nemesis reminds me of this

JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 11:00 AM   #39
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
It got beat by the Jennifer Lopez Rom-com Maid in Manhattan its opening weekend. Nemesis would've done better if it had been a better movie.
Nemesis probably would have gotten better boxoffice if it had Jennifer Lopez in it.

Maybe in the Shinzon role, the actor they did hire didn't look all that much like Picard either.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 01:09 PM   #40
TheSubCommander
Commander

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ You know Denise Crosby tried to get a part in the movie and Rick Berman told her there was no place where they could fit her in? Like wth man. She could've easily taken the bulk of Donatra's role. It could've been Sela and Donatra who rallied the Romulans to help the Enterprise fight Shinzon. Idk, if NEM had a bigger budget maybe it would've been better. $50 million for the film's budget and another $10 million for advertising. I think with a $100 million dollar budget we could've got a grander film. Which would include more shots of Romulus, a bigger cast, finer special effects and the big starship battle at the end with the two Romulans ships and Starfleet's Battle Group Omega vs the Scimitar. That would've been cool.

Yeah they definitely could have fit Denise Crosby in there. Even if they kept Donatra...they could have been rivals, that were forced to work together, and Picard, to fight Shinzon. In fact, it would have made the then seemingly hopeful beginnings of a Federation-Romulan thaw in relations, dare I say a treaty or alliance, mean that much more if someone like Sela and Picard could work together.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
It got beat by the Jennifer Lopez Rom-com Maid in Manhattan its opening weekend. Nemesis would've done better if it had been a better movie.
Nemesis probably would have gotten better boxoffice if it had Jennifer Lopez in it.

Maybe in the Shinzon role, the actor they did hire didn't look all that much like Picard either.

Yeah, if you are going to have someone play a clone of someone else, they need to have some kind of resemblance other than being bald!

They should have used Patrick Stewart to play Shinzon for sure. The guy looks pretty much like he did even back in the 1970s (IE other than the fake hair, he looks the same as when he was in I, Claudius, to me). For Nemesis, they could have CGI-smoothed his face some in the beginning of the movie, and aged him up as he got sicker.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 01:18 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I guess I'm one of the few that thought Tom Hardy did a decent job with the material he had.

Denise Crosby should've been in Nemesis but in a non-speaking role. Same haircut as Yar, in security yellow and wearing lieutenants pips. As Sela? It would have made a bad movie even more laughable.
Old August 28 2013, 01:45 PM   #42
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
They should have used Patrick Stewart to play Shinzon for sure. The guy looks pretty much like he did even back in the 1970s (IE other than the fake hair, he looks the same as when he was in I, Claudius, to me). For Nemesis, they could have CGI-smoothed his face some in the beginning of the movie, and aged him up as he got sicker.
I liked the idea of a battle-hardened, adult Patrick Stewart Shinzon with a big fat scar over his entire head.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:36 PM   #43
austen_pierce
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I liked the idea of a battle-hardened, adult Patrick Stewart Shinzon with a big fat scar over his entire head.
According to Data's report, Shinzon fought in the Dominion War. Maybe have Shinzon masked to hide his true identity during those events with a dramatic reveal scene in Nemesis.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:58 PM   #44
sonak
Vice Admiral

I guess I'm one of the few that thought Tom Hardy did a decent job with the material he had.

Denise Crosby should've been in Nemesis but in a non-speaking role. Same haircut as Yar, in security yellow and wearing lieutenants pips. As Sela? It would have made a bad movie even more laughable.

I agree with you, I don't think Tom Hardy's performance was an issue. And I don't think that him not really looking like Picard was either.

For me the bigger concern was that the CHARACTER of Shinzon was nothing like Picard. He's more like "random psycho of the week" than a supposed "dark mirror" of Picard, so the concept doesn't work for me.
Old August 28 2013, 05:00 PM   #45
jpv2000
Captain

I actually loved Nemesis. It is my favorite TNG movie.

Probably because of the simple reason of finally letting Riker and Troi marry and making Riker a Captain. Both of which I had wanted for years.

I also love the Titan series which Nemesis gave birth to so to speak. Nemesis basically made all my hopes for TNG trek come true.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote