Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 17 2013, 11:15 PM   #91
RollTide1017
Ensign

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Why do you think there will be a 2 disc set later, there has been no hint of that at all? I'd love to see it happen but I just don't think it will, at least not anytime soon. There was only one release of the 2009 movie.
RollTide1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 11:21 PM   #92
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

RollTide1017 wrote: View Post
Why do you think there will be a 2 disc set later, there has been no hint of that at all? I'd love to see it happen but I just don't think it will, at least not anytime soon. There was only one release of the 2009 movie.
There's already two distinct versions of the Blu-ray release. One that seems to be a general release and one that is being sold by Target and has multiple special features.
Old August 18 2013, 04:15 AM   #93
RollTide1017
Ensign

Well, I'm not sure that is much of a hint. This isn't the first movie to have special features that are exclusive to a certain retailer. Best Buy gets quite a few exclusive "bonus disc" releases every year and none of those have been released in a second general release edition. Earlier this year, target had an exclusive version of Les Miserables with 40 minutes of additional features and there is no sign of it being released in a more widely available form.

Hey, I hope you guys are right and I'm wrong because I have STID on pre order at Best Buy for the early access to the DC on Tuesday but, I'd really like the extra features on the Target release. I'm torn right now between really wanting to see the movie again this week or canceling it with Best Buy to get the Target version. I just have this feeling that if you want the extra 30 minutes of features then you'll need to get the Target version because I doubt they'll see the light of day on another release anytime soon, just like the other exclusives released in the past.

Let me add that I hate retailer exclusives! It is a huge slap in the face to fans. Those extra features on the Target release should be on every version so every fan has access to them.
Old August 18 2013, 04:58 AM   #94
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Let me add that I hate retailer exclusives! It is a huge slap in the face to fans. Those extra features on the Target release should be on every version so every fan has access to them.
So Target has no right to create an exclusive product that will draw extra customers into their store? They must agree to sell only what all the other shops are selling?

How is offering their customers more - and paying big $$$ to do so - also slapping fans in the face?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 06:08 AM   #95
thumbtack
Commodore

Still can't decide if I want the phaser or the extra features.
Old August 18 2013, 03:40 PM   #96
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Past experience. A single disk release is almost always following by a "Deluxe Edition".

More money to be made that way.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 03:46 PM   #97
Mage
Commodore

There was only one release of the 2009 movie.
There's a single and 2-disc version on BR of the 2009 movie available in the Netherlands.
Old August 19 2013, 04:04 PM   #98
RollTide1017
Ensign

RandyS wrote: View Post
Past experience. A single disk release is almost always following by a "Deluxe Edition".

More money to be made that way.
I think that has become the exception more then the rule in the past few years. I can name plenty of big summer films from the past few summers that have only seen 1 release so far. I'd love it if I'm wrong but, I just think it is highly unlikely that another version will be release by November or December of this year as some have speculated. At the very least, I wouldn't expect a second release until sometime next year.

Again, this is all just my opinion and I could be completely wrong. In fact, I hope I am as I'd have no problem buying it now and a more feature loaded edition again in a few months. Kinda like how I already bought the Hobbit BD and will gladly buy the extended edition in November.

Mage wrote: View Post
There's a single and 2-disc version on BR of the 2009 movie available in the Netherlands.
Yes, but in the US the 2 disc was released first and the single disc was released almost a year later.

Last edited by RollTide1017; August 19 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old August 28 2013, 08:52 AM   #99
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Blu-ray.com review of Star Trek Into Darkness
Old August 28 2013, 10:06 AM   #100
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Well, I'm not sure that is much of a hint. This isn't the first movie to have special features that are exclusive to a certain retailer. Best Buy gets quite a few exclusive "bonus disc" releases every year and none of those have been released in a second general release edition. Earlier this year, target had an exclusive version of Les Miserables with 40 minutes of additional features and there is no sign of it being released in a more widely available form.

Hey, I hope you guys are right and I'm wrong because I have STID on pre order at Best Buy for the early access to the DC on Tuesday but, I'd really like the extra features on the Target release. I'm torn right now between really wanting to see the movie again this week or canceling it with Best Buy to get the Target version. I just have this feeling that if you want the extra 30 minutes of features then you'll need to get the Target version because I doubt they'll see the light of day on another release anytime soon, just like the other exclusives released in the past.

Whats the difference between Best Buy's 30 minutes of exclusive content and Targets. My husband will be in the USA in a month and I'll get him to get one for me if its Region Free?

Can anyone getting the Phaser Combo from Amazon please report if its Region Free. I'd like to get it but suspect it will be Region 1. Please.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:19 AM   #101
MacLeod
Admiral

^Well strictly speaking it would be region A not region 1 for a BR release. They should have never have brought in region coding for DVD or blu-ray.

My copy has already been posted as the releasfor example in the UK you might have to wait months for a disc to come out that had already been released in the US. e date for the UK is the 2nd of September.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:55 AM   #102
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^Well strictly speaking it would be region A not region 1 for a BR release. They should have never have brought in region coding for DVD or blu-ray.

My copy has already been posted as the releasfor example in the UK you might have to wait months for a disc to come out that had already been released in the US. e date for the UK is the 2nd of September.
Sorry yes its Region A, B. Numbers are for DVDs? I'd like the phaser but its no use to me if I can't watch the 3D bluray on my Region coded playstation.

Doesn't the UK get it first, the US about 8 days later, we don't get it until 8 days after that?

I see Amazon UK says they have a region free version but Amazon US says nothing either way so I'm not sure.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 11:00 AM   #103
MacLeod
Admiral

^Yep as stated in my post, the UK gets it on Monday the 2nd of September. I've got a nice 3D/2D steelbook coming. It's just a shame that Amazon.co.uk never did the Phaser set, like the Amazon US, Amazon France and Amazon Germany.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 12:40 PM   #104
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Shame there isn't another ship tour thingie for the Vengeance, or an updated Enterprise one showing the atrium behind the bridge and shuttlebay 2.
Old August 28 2013, 01:00 PM   #105
Tosk
Rear Admiral

And even more of a shame that the extras seem pretty stingy all over this time around. A handful of featurettes doesn't really blow my skirt up.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote