USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 27 2013, 05:03 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Spawn Movie could shoot next year says Todd McFarlane

“The thing that keeps slowing it down is that the negotiation I’ve done is I write, produce, direct," McFarlane tells The Gate (via The Hollywood Reporter), "but I’ve got to push a lot of my other endeavors off to the side so I can just get tunnel vision on it. And so everybody at my company is now going, ‘We've got to find Todd the time to finish all this.’”

He goes on to say that the film is looking at a 60-70 day shoot and reiterates his previous claims that the project will differ greatly from big screen version released by New Line Cinema in 1997.

"It’s not going to be a giant budget [film] with a lot of special effects," he says. "It’s going to be more of a horror movie and a thriller movie, not a superhero one."
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108206

After that last horrible Spawn movie, I think anything could be better. Good to see that they are going for more of a horror movie.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Spawn Movie could shoot next year says Todd McFarlane

McFarlane has been yakking about making another Spawn movie since the last Spawn movie. Nothing ever comes of it.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Hasn't he also been yanking about another animated series for like 8 years now? Honestly though, I think Spawn's moment has passed. That's what happens when you're more concerned with making toys than anything else.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I think Spawn's moment has passed.
And that's literally all it was, a moment.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Dream
Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
McFarlane has been yakking about making another Spawn movie since the last Spawn movie. Nothing ever comes of it.
Hasn't he also been yanking about another animated series for like 8 years now? Honestly though, I think Spawn's moment has passed. That's what happens when you're more concerned with making toys than anything else.
Edgar Wright has been going on about his Ant-Man movie for 8 years now since 2005.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/09/...direct-ant-man

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...-talks-ant-man

The release date wasn't announced until recently. That's ten years from when he signed on to release date. What's the difference?

Honestly though, I think Spawn's moment has passed..
But... but we got two Kick-ass movies! Obviously you don't need to be A list comic property to get a movie!
Old August 27 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Avon
Fleet Captain

have sales of spawn toys dried up so he's pushing the movie angle again?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

What is the readership of Spawn today versus in 1997? Does anyone here still read it?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Is the comic even still running? I admit my knowledge of the IP is mostly limited to the movie and animated series, but I got the impression that is was the kind of story that had a logical beginning middle and end. If it's still running after all this time they much have jumped the shark long ago and probably mashed the reset button a few times too.

Dream wrote: View Post
Honestly though, I think Spawn's moment has passed..
But... but we got two Kick-ass movies! Obviously you don't need to be A list comic property to get a movie!
It's not about popularity so much as relevance. Spawn IMO was at the nadir of a trend in 90's superhero comics (that began with Miller's TDKR) towards ever more darker and exploitative content, mostly just for shock value. I say exploitative, not "adult" or even "mature" because those labels have a habit of being applied to things that are anything but...but I digress. I get the impression comic readers (what few are left) have grown increasingly disinterested in that type of product and I can't see even a new movie re-igniting much interest.

'Kick Ass' was the exception and worked mostly because it chose *not* to be faithful to the tone of the source material and instead take it in a new direction.
Old August 28 2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

Surprisingly enough, Spawn has been publishing all this time I think I stopped reading back around #75. It was so boring. He never did anything.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

According to Comichron Spawn seems to sell just over 16,000 copies per issue based on the sales figures from May and June of this year.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:16 AM   #11
Dream
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
According to Comichron Spawn seems to sell just over 16,000 copies per issue based on the sales figures from May and June of this year.
Is that good?
Old August 28 2013, 02:16 AM   #12
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Oy. Spawn. THAT brings back memories I thought I had managed to forget.
Old August 28 2013, 02:22 AM   #13
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Is that good?
eeeeh. if it were a Marvel or DC book it would have got canceled with numbers like that. its fairly decent for a non mainstream book.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:28 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
Is that good?
eeeeh. if it were a Marvel or DC book it would have got canceled with numbers like that. its fairly decent for a non mainstream book.
I was going to say, 16,000 copies sounds like pretty weak tea. Certainly strikes me as too weak to warrant another movie. IF they do one I wonder if it'll be a reboot or sequel? (I assume the former.) Eitherway, not interested I never got the "excitement" or support behind Spawn.

But that.. that... movie. :shudder: John Leguizamo. Oy.
Old August 28 2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Hey, Leguizamo was the best thing in that movie! Even Sheen (I'd forgotten he was even in it till just now) was phoning it in. Don't get me wrong, the guy was irritating, but at least he committed to the role and you have to respect what they put him through with that fat suit and heavy make-up.

I don't even remember who played Spawn, Wanda or....umm....what, was Twitch and 'Totally-Not-Harvey-Bullock' even in the film? I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited by Reverend; August 28 2013 at 09:30 PM.