RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,683
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 875
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 24 2013, 11:04 PM   #286
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Yeah, I did the same thing: I recorded every single episode of TNG, and then DS9 and then Voyager. I once had a vast collection of Star Trek on VHS.

It was tough when TNG & DS9, and then DS9 & Voy were airing at the same time. It felt like I never had enough tapes.

I recorded some of ST: Enterprise on DVD (I still have the pilot that I recorded from UPN), but I wound up missing a majority of that series. Been meaning to catch up on it now.

Come to think of it, there's still a good chunk of Voy that I haven't seen. Maybe that's why I don't really care whether they make more shows in the prime timeline, because I still have yet to watch a part of it.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 12:42 AM   #287
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

captain crow wrote: View Post
The "prime timeline" is dead. Deal with it and move on.
Just how dead remains to be seen. Most likely the alternate Abrams version of Star Trek will die quickly following his third Star trek movie. What come after that might be something completely new, another reset/reboot. Or it just as easily could be a return to the "prime universe" once again.

We'll see.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 02:37 AM   #288
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Star Trek Online, due to its massive scale, has done more changes to the prime timeline than any other expanded universe material. I wonder if, should they ever decide to revisit the prime timeline, they will keep these changes. After all, having an Enterprise-F is a major thing in Star Trek.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:35 AM   #289
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

But Star Trek Online is designed from the ground up to result as much fighting as possible. The galaxy's basically in a constant state of anarchy. If TPTB were to ressurrect the Prime universe, I'd prefer they used the novelverse's post-Nemesis backstory, which is far truer to the spirit of the shows and movies.

Not that I think they ever would - like Star Wars VII will most likely ignore their post-RotJ Expanded Universe. Trek's already done it once before - Enterprise rendered every pre-TOS story obsolete in one swoop.
Old August 25 2013, 01:09 PM   #290
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
But Star Trek Online is designed from the ground up to result as much fighting as possible. The galaxy's basically in a constant state of anarchy. If TPTB were to ressurrect the Prime universe, I'd prefer they used the novelverse's post-Nemesis backstory, which is far truer to the spirit of the shows and movies.

Not that I think they ever would - like Star Wars VII will most likely ignore their post-RotJ Expanded Universe. Trek's already done it once before - Enterprise rendered every pre-TOS story obsolete in one swoop.
Probably for the better too. Creators and writers should have as free a hand as possible when creating new stories.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:39 PM   #291
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
Star Trek Online, due to its massive scale, has done more changes to the prime timeline than any other expanded universe material.
Do you know if ST Online has on their site a synopsis of their timeline/history? I tried to find one once (didn't look to hard), but couldn't.

If TPTB were to ressurrect the Prime universe, I'd prefer they used the novelverse's post-Nemesis backstory, which is far truer to the spirit of the shows and movies.
There's something about that that I wonder about. As I understand it, one of the reasons that TPTB created the character of Tom Paris, instead of simply using the character of Nicholas Locarno, was they didn't want to pay the original writer/creator of Nicholas Locarno everytime they used the character.

If a new series employ large numbers of characters and situations from the novels, would CBS then have to compensate the novels authors for their ideas, or does CBS now own all those ideas after paying the authors for their novels?

Intellectual property.

This question was raised a while back concerning a possible Titan TV series, who "owns" Christine Vale?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:54 PM   #292
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
Star Trek Online, due to its massive scale, has done more changes to the prime timeline than any other expanded universe material.
Do you know if ST Online has on their site a synopsis of their timeline/history? I tried to find one once (didn't look to hard), but couldn't.
http://www.stowiki.org/Path_to_2409
If TPTB were to ressurrect the Prime universe, I'd prefer they used the novelverse's post-Nemesis backstory, which is far truer to the spirit of the shows and movies.
There's something about that that I wonder about. As I understand it, one of the reasons that TPTB created the character of Tom Paris, instead of simply using the character of Nicholas Locarno, was they didn't want to pay the original writer/creator of Nicholas Locarno everytime they used the character.

If a new series employ large numbers of characters and situations from the novels, would CBS then have to compensate the novels authors for their ideas, or does CBS now own all those ideas after paying the authors for their novels?

Intellectual property.

This question was raised a while back concerning a possible Titan TV series, who "owns" Christine Vale?

The tie-in writers operate under different rules to the TV writers. Anything they create in the Trek universe is property of CBS. Vonda McIntyre (Enterprise: The First Adventure) and Diane Carey (Final Frontier, Best Destiny) named and developed George Kirk, yet AFAIK, neither got a penny from Paramount or CBS when a version of George Kirk cropped up in JJ's first Star Trek.
Old August 25 2013, 06:09 PM   #293
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

This is because TV writers have a union, and novelists don't.

The book are written on a strictly work-for-hire basis, so we don't own any characters or planets we create. This applies to not just Star Trek, but pretty much any TV tie-in book.
Old August 27 2013, 10:06 PM   #294
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Yes! Yes! And yes again!

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:31 PM   #295
Admiral

I want Man of Steel 2 to be set in the Smallville continuity.
Old August 27 2013, 11:29 PM   #296
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm going to boycott if it isn't set in the Superfriends continuity from the 1970's!
Old August 27 2013, 11:30 PM   #297
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm going to boycott if it isn't set in the Superfriends continuity from the 1970's!
What, no love for the Lois & Clark timeline?

If years of reading comics has taught me anything, it's that timelines are like buses. There will always be another one coming around before you know it.
Old August 29 2013, 03:19 AM   #298
FKnight
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
NuSpock may even feel that he is honoring the memory of his martyred mother by allowing himself to be more "human" with Uhura this time around . . ..
Yeah.
SPOCK: I feel anger for the one who took mother's life. An anger I cannot control.
SAREK: I believe, as she would say, do not try to.

Of course they were speaking in the first movie of Spock's anger toward Nero, but it's not hard to follow that Spock would take this to heart as far as other emotional contexts.

dub wrote: View Post
My fear is now that they got away with re-using characters and lifting lots of dialogue/situations from previous Trek, and people are spending the money to see it, they'll keep doing that. Apparently a lot of people really love that. I find it extremely corny. No amount of special effects, suspenseful music or action can make Spock shouting "Khannnnn" anything but eye-roll-worthy for me (and all of the other dialogue lifted from TWOK falls into that category for me). A little goes a long way. A quote here or there, fine. Perhaps even cool. But they went totally overboard with it. They milked it dry and continued suckling for good measure. The thing is, I don't mind many aspects of the re-boot. The actors are great. The special effects are incredible. And even though I enjoy joking about it, I liked the lens flares! But the main thing is I just want a great story, and I think STID was almost there. I'd just rather see it without SO many "nods" to previous Trek. But that's just me, and I realize I'm in the minority and everyone loves/hates different things, and yada yada yada, so I'm bracing myself for another over-the-top quote-fest in the third installment.

But to answer the OP - I'm fine with either timeline as long as it's good!
^^ Seriously -- all of the "nods" and lifted dialog blemish an otherwise good movie. It doesn't ruin the movie and I'll watch it again, but the fan service was almost at fanfic levels.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:37 AM   #299
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

^I had the feeling they made "Into Darkness" for older trekkies, like a homage movie. Sadly it felt like a few in the theater I was in and myself got those references. I rolled my eyes during Spock's "Khhaaann!" too but I still enjoyed the movie.
Old August 29 2013, 09:22 PM   #300
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah there was a lot of old school feeling to it. But I liked how they did it in the 2009 version, by introducing each character pretty much one by one made it so cool. Into Darkness was just so violent in my opinion. And Star Trek isn't known for violence.