RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,340
Posts: 5,353,669
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 523
Newest member: nmatos2005

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 27 2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore
 
Argus Skyhawk's Avatar
 
Location: Argus Skyhawk
If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

If you like a movie that I don't like, it is clearly because you don't think for yourself. You only like that movie because it's popular. You are just going along with the crowd. You're being one of the sheeple. Just keep drinking the Kool-Aid. You probably think it's a great movie because it has lots of explosions and special effects. You're being a fanboy, and the movie fulfills your immature fantasies of being cool.

Unless you like an unpopular movie, in which case you are obviously not as smart as the rest of us. Either that or you are being an art-house snob, and you think it's a great movie because you frequently mistake “boring and pretentious” for “brilliant”.

However, if you don't like a movie that I like, it is clearly because you are not open-minded enough. Most likely, the movie is too intelligent for you. You don't get it because you only like stuff with lots of explosions and special effects. It is because of people like you that Hollywood keeps churning out so much junk.

Unless you are being a snob, in which case you just don't like the movie because you are expecting it to be great literature, and you can't appreciate a movie for just being fun. In any case, your rejection of the movie is only a knee-jerk reaction against anything that is popular. You're just being a hipster and you think you're too cool for everyone else.

Yes, it all boils down to this: If you don't share my opinion of a movie, it is not because different people naturally have different preferences and will simply enjoy different things. Don't be silly. If you don't share my opinion, it is because something is wrong with you.
__________________
I thought I had found everlasting joy and happiness, but when I clicked the link, it just took me to a Rick Astley video.
Argus Skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
If you like a movie that I don't like, it is clearly because you don't think for yourself. You only like that movie because it's popular. You are just going along with the crowd. You're being one of the sheeple. Just keep drinking the Kool-Aid. You probably think it's a great movie because it has lots of explosions and special effects. You're being a fanboy, and the movie fulfills your immature fantasies of being cool.

Unless you like an unpopular movie, in which case you are obviously not as smart as the rest of us. Either that or you are being an art-house snob, and you think it's a great movie because you frequently mistake “boring and pretentious” for “brilliant”.

However, if you don't like a movie that I like, it is clearly because you are not open-minded enough. Most likely, the movie is too intelligent for you. You don't get it because you only like stuff with lots of explosions and special effects. It is because of people like you that Hollywood keeps churning out so much junk.

Unless you are being a snob, in which case you just don't like the movie because you are expecting it to be great literature, and you can't appreciate a movie for just being fun. In any case, your rejection of the movie is only a knee-jerk reaction against anything that is popular. You're just being a hipster and you think you're too cool for everyone else.

Yes, it all boils down to this: If you don't share my opinion of a movie, it is not because different people naturally have different preferences and will simply enjoy different things. Don't be silly. If you don't share my opinion, it is because something is wrong with you.
Exactly! Thank you for stating this for me in plain english!
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

I don't share your opinion of this post.

__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: melting
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

^Hipster.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

I'm waiting to see what rotten tomatoes makes of this post before forming a view
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Ha, so true.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Whether escapist or art-house, bottom-line, the movie should be done well. And preferably with as much originality and skill as possible. Some great films make lots of money but most of the very best seem to struggle to make half or less.....
__________________
''Man in red shirt: Scotty, or dead. Woman in red shirt: Uhura, or love interest.''
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:50 PM   #8
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

The problem is everyone has a different interpretation of what is considered "done well."
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

davejames wrote: View Post
The problem is everyone has a different interpretation of what is considered "done well."
gray in the center with no pink.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:07 AM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Clearly you only made this post because you think the United States is the center of the world and are ignorant to posts being created in smaller countries.

REAL POSTS HAVE SUBTITLES!

Really a movie should be judged based on how well it accomplished what it was trying to accomplish.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Who are you to say what the movie is supposed to accomplish?
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Clearly you only made this post because you think the United States is the center of the world
Wait...you mean IT'S NOT????
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Clearly you only made this post because you think the United States is the center of the world and are ignorant to posts being created in smaller countries.

REAL POSTS HAVE SUBTITLES!

Really a movie should be judged based on how well it accomplished what it was trying to accomplish.
wej Huch law' motlh!
Not much usually!
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:26 PM   #14
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Not everybody will agree, but I'd say WORLD WAR Z is a good example of relative originality and skill. I was zombied-out years ago, but when did we ever get to see a zombie anthill before? And Brad Pitt was commendably anti-Nicolas Cage in his bearing and performance. It probably made money on Pitt's looks, but Pitt's character consistently used his head, which is more than I can say for you, Chris Pine.
__________________
''Man in red shirt: Scotty, or dead. Woman in red shirt: Uhura, or love interest.''
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Triskelion
Rear Admiral
 
Triskelion's Avatar
 
Location: \,,/. ▷\✦_✦ L L + P
Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

If it's not Scottish - it's crap!
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.