IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 27 2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

If you like a movie that I don't like, it is clearly because you don't think for yourself. You only like that movie because it's popular. You are just going along with the crowd. You're being one of the sheeple. Just keep drinking the Kool-Aid. You probably think it's a great movie because it has lots of explosions and special effects. You're being a fanboy, and the movie fulfills your immature fantasies of being cool.

Unless you like an unpopular movie, in which case you are obviously not as smart as the rest of us. Either that or you are being an art-house snob, and you think it's a great movie because you frequently mistake “boring and pretentious” for “brilliant”.

However, if you don't like a movie that I like, it is clearly because you are not open-minded enough. Most likely, the movie is too intelligent for you. You don't get it because you only like stuff with lots of explosions and special effects. It is because of people like you that Hollywood keeps churning out so much junk.

Unless you are being a snob, in which case you just don't like the movie because you are expecting it to be great literature, and you can't appreciate a movie for just being fun. In any case, your rejection of the movie is only a knee-jerk reaction against anything that is popular. You're just being a hipster and you think you're too cool for everyone else.

Yes, it all boils down to this: If you don't share my opinion of a movie, it is not because different people naturally have different preferences and will simply enjoy different things. Don't be silly. If you don't share my opinion, it is because something is wrong with you.
Old August 27 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Re: If you don't share my opinion of a movie...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
If you like a movie that I don't like, it is clearly because you don't think for yourself. You only like that movie because it's popular. You are just going along with the crowd. You're being one of the sheeple. Just keep drinking the Kool-Aid. You probably think it's a great movie because it has lots of explosions and special effects. You're being a fanboy, and the movie fulfills your immature fantasies of being cool.

Unless you like an unpopular movie, in which case you are obviously not as smart as the rest of us. Either that or you are being an art-house snob, and you think it's a great movie because you frequently mistake “boring and pretentious” for “brilliant”.

However, if you don't like a movie that I like, it is clearly because you are not open-minded enough. Most likely, the movie is too intelligent for you. You don't get it because you only like stuff with lots of explosions and special effects. It is because of people like you that Hollywood keeps churning out so much junk.

Unless you are being a snob, in which case you just don't like the movie because you are expecting it to be great literature, and you can't appreciate a movie for just being fun. In any case, your rejection of the movie is only a knee-jerk reaction against anything that is popular. You're just being a hipster and you think you're too cool for everyone else.

Yes, it all boils down to this: If you don't share my opinion of a movie, it is not because different people naturally have different preferences and will simply enjoy different things. Don't be silly. If you don't share my opinion, it is because something is wrong with you.
Exactly! Thank you for stating this for me in plain english!

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I don't share your opinion of this post.

Old August 27 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

^Hipster.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I'm waiting to see what rotten tomatoes makes of this post before forming a view
Old August 27 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ha, so true.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

Whether escapist or art-house, bottom-line, the movie should be done well. And preferably with as much originality and skill as possible. Some great films make lots of money but most of the very best seem to struggle to make half or less.....
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:50 PM   #8
davejames
Vice Admiral

The problem is everyone has a different interpretation of what is considered "done well."
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
The problem is everyone has a different interpretation of what is considered "done well."
gray in the center with no pink.
Old August 28 2013, 03:07 AM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Clearly you only made this post because you think the United States is the center of the world and are ignorant to posts being created in smaller countries.

REAL POSTS HAVE SUBTITLES!

Really a movie should be judged based on how well it accomplished what it was trying to accomplish.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Who are you to say what the movie is supposed to accomplish?
Old August 28 2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Clearly you only made this post because you think the United States is the center of the world
Wait...you mean IT'S NOT????

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Konata Izumi
Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Clearly you only made this post because you think the United States is the center of the world and are ignorant to posts being created in smaller countries.

REAL POSTS HAVE SUBTITLES!

Really a movie should be judged based on how well it accomplished what it was trying to accomplish.
wej Huch law' motlh!
Not much usually!
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:26 PM   #14
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

Not everybody will agree, but I'd say WORLD WAR Z is a good example of relative originality and skill. I was zombied-out years ago, but when did we ever get to see a zombie anthill before? And Brad Pitt was commendably anti-Nicolas Cage in his bearing and performance. It probably made money on Pitt's looks, but Pitt's character consistently used his head, which is more than I can say for you, Chris Pine.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Insp.LeStrange
Rear Admiral

If it's not Scottish - it's crap!
Insp.LeStrange is offline   Reply With Quote