RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 522
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 27 2013, 07:31 PM   #256
GNDN
Commodore

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Captain_Q wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
LilyThompson wrote: View Post

Well, dude, you read my mind. Not only is it out of character, but it's out of place. A better line would have been for him to be silently shaking with anger, if he had to be that emotional at all. It was a great tear-jerking scene until this happened.
This too. And I liked that movie. It just seemed... unneccessary.
I laughed way too hard in the theater when Spock yelled that. I just couldn't help it.
I didn't laugh when he said "THHAAAAAAAAAT"... but saw it coming a mile away... cringed a bit inside as to whether he'd really say it, then tossed off my 3-D glasses and sighed. --->

Pretty much out of the movie from that point on.

Saw it a second time, no 3-D, accepted what was to come, but still not sold on it. Gotta see how the blu-ray plays.
Old September 8 2013, 04:30 PM   #257
JariM
Lieutenant

Cutler: "They don't have movies where you come from, do they?"

Phlox: "We had something similar a few hundred years ago, but they lost their appeal when people discovered their real lives were more interesting."

Ugh.......
Old September 8 2013, 05:31 PM   #258
Sran
Fleet Captain

^Indeed. Real life is not more interesting.

--Sran
Old September 8 2013, 06:52 PM   #259
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
^Indeed. Real life is not more interesting.

--Sran
Denobulans did typically have three spouses. That would effectively gut several film genres and create a serious drain on one's time.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 06:53 PM   #260
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

JariM wrote: View Post
Cutler: "They don't have movies where you come from, do they?"

Phlox: "We had something similar a few hundred years ago, but they lost their appeal when people discovered their real lives were more interesting."

Ugh.......
Oh brother..... Which explains why the holodeck was a popular pastime. Or watching plays. He could have just said something like, 'once we did but not any more'.

I understand where he was getting at, (TV does has it negatives) but the part about abandoning the whole thing because of real lives being more interesting...seems preachy again.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:22 PM   #261
Sran
Fleet Captain

^Especially since the Voyager crew had no problem visiting Tom Paris' recreation of a theater.

--Sran
Old September 9 2013, 11:22 AM   #262
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
^Especially since the Voyager crew had no problem visiting Tom Paris' recreation of a theater.

--Sran
Hypocrites? Hah, Voyager couldn't wait to re-instate television. Paris actually had a television in his quarters. And the Captain Proton stuff. And this what Kes actually said about TV soap operas;

KES: That's because you've been spoiled by the holodeck. There's something to be said for non-interactive stories like this, being swept away in the narrative.
What happened to all that stuff Data and Phlox said about TV?

Janeway: There's coffee in that nebulae.
Nothing particularly wrong with this one, but have to throw it out anyway.
Old September 9 2013, 11:35 AM   #263
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Plus, they still have news channels in the future ("Endgame"/Generations/Into Darkness)
Old September 9 2013, 05:17 PM   #264
Praetor
Vice Admiral

It creates a fascinating paradox - people who are above all that and work only to better themselves, yet in actuality are still fascinated by the stuff they're better than. Root beer indeed.

Come to think of it, I think that's why all those preachy lines always drive me nuts.

I'm not saying that a positive example of a future is a bad thing, or a bad thing to aspire to, but when it's played as a vaguely hypocritical way of life, it's annoying and disheartening.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 06:13 PM   #265
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Hah, Voyager couldn't wait to re-instate television. Paris actually had a television in his quarters.
Captain Pike was so ahead of the curve when it came to having a television in his quarters.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 06:16 PM   #266
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Or at least intellectually honest?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old September 9 2013, 08:50 PM   #267
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Captain Pike was so ahead of the curve when it came to having a television in his quarters.
Wonder what he was watching? lol

Praetor wrote: View Post
It creates a fascinating paradox - people who are above all that and work only to better themselves, yet in actuality are still fascinated by the stuff they're better than. Root beer indeed.

Come to think of it, I think that's why all those preachy lines always drive me nuts.

I'm not saying that a positive example of a future is a bad thing, or a bad thing to aspire to, but when it's played as a vaguely hypocritical way of life, it's annoying and disheartening.
That's what I see. A simple answer would have been good enough, but Trek characters took it a step further with extra commentary about how backwards a past activity was.

What would make people suddenly want to go back reading books all day, watching plays, practicing on an instrument for hours, and nothing else?

It took over 90,000 years for humans to finally create television. Did Trek think humans were going to give it up suddenly and go back to telling stories, gardening, having picnics everday?

If you were to ask Picard if he watched TV he'd probably say something similar to Phlox, about finding real life more interesting than watching someone else's.

But if you were to ask him, 'but when you pretend to be Dixon Hill when you use the holodeck, how is that any different?"

Would love to see the expression....
Old September 9 2013, 09:28 PM   #268
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Yeah. I mean, sure with all the post-apocalyptic horror nobody wanted to watch television for a while there, but once that was all sorted, surely all kinds of new fancy technologies would make staged entertainment of any kind more enjoyable? If VGR's any indication, someone's in the habit of holo-converting some of our 20th century classics. I believe Harry named "To Catch a Thief" as one such film.

The one reason that I can see TV as we know it disappearing is because of the exodus of humanity to the stars - but within our lifetimes we're already seeing a marked shift towards the on-demand market, which could easily still work in the future.

"It's not interesting to us anymore" is stupid. It probably wouldn't be to one of us Trekkies who was transported to the future, sure. We'd be busy trying to get into Starfleet Academy.
Old September 9 2013, 10:38 PM   #269
jpv2000
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Hah, Voyager couldn't wait to re-instate television. Paris actually had a television in his quarters.
Yep, he obviously knew that what goes around, comes around.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:33 AM   #270
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

How is it hypocritical of Janeway's crew that they enjoyed movies and television because a Denobulan 200 years earlier had a different opinion about such media?
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote