Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 25 2013, 04:12 AM   #2596
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finally started Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks the other day. It's not bad so far - a little weird, but right now I'm chalking that up to the fact that I haven't jumped into a new universe in a really long time.

I get to go on vacation next weekend, and I'm looking forward to doing some serious reading. Can't wait.
Old August 25 2013, 02:37 PM   #2597
Christopher
Writer

^Speaking of jumping into new universes, I recently read Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space, and liked it enough to track down the other two books in that trilogy, Redemption Ark (which I'm currently reading) and Absolution Gap. There are other tales in the same universe, but apparently those three are the main trilogy, so I'm starting with them (even though Chasm City came out between the first two). Apparently it's regarded as a somewhat dark or "noir" hard-SF series, but I actually find it more upbeat than some; there are dark situations, to be sure, but the main characters tend to be relatively decent and sympathetic people, which to me gives it an optimistic flavor. It's not a dystopia where everybody's awful, just a world where both good and bad things happen and where most people are acting for what they believe is the greater good even when they disagree profoundly about what that is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:24 PM   #2598
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Speaking of jumping into new universes, I recently read Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space, and liked it enough to track down the other two books in that trilogy, Redemption Ark (which I'm currently reading) and Absolution Gap. There are other tales in the same universe, but apparently those three are the main trilogy, so I'm starting with them (even though Chasm City came out between the first two). Apparently it's regarded as a somewhat dark or "noir" hard-SF series, but I actually find it more upbeat than some; there are dark situations, to be sure, but the main characters tend to be relatively decent and sympathetic people, which to me gives it an optimistic flavor. It's not a dystopia where everybody's awful, just a world where both good and bad things happen and where most people are acting for what they believe is the greater good even when they disagree profoundly about what that is.
Just a word of warning, as a trilogy, those three books are pretty loose. In particular, the third book isn't the epic finale you're expecting, more of a side story that winds its way into the narrative from the previous two, something which a lot of people find disappointing.

I do wholeheartedly recommend all the other books in the same universe, though, particularly the short stories. The Diamond Dogs / Turquoise Days novella pair is especially phenomenal, and the final short story in the Galactic North collection is much more the epic ending that Absolution Gap doesn't manage to be. (Not directly related to the trilogy, but chronologically after it, and I found it more satisfying as a conclusion.)
Old August 25 2013, 05:56 PM   #2599
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Er, I picked up a couple of comics the other day: DEXTER #1 and FEARLESS DEFENDERS #7.

(Yes, I know I'm behind on both titles.)

DEXTER. although technically based on the book version, felt like the early seasons of the show, although the fact that they can't use the actors' likenesses is a bit jarring at first. (Dexter looks way too young and wholesome. More like Peter Parker than Dexter.)

And, as a long-time DEFENDERS fan, I'm really enjoying the new series and am curious to see where they're going with the Valkyrie these days.

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 25 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 09:55 PM   #2600
USS Firefly
Commander

Just finished Star trek Vanguard: Storming heaven.
Is there another book were they are mentioning some of the characters of Vanguard after the series?
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 09:59 PM   #2601
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
Just finished Star trek Vanguard: Storming heaven.
Is there another book were they are mentioning some of the characters of Vanguard after the series?
In Tempest's Wake, the eBook exclusive coda to the Vanguard series.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/In_Tempest%27s_Wake

And next year in August The Seekers will start, a series featuring two of the ships assigned to Vanguard in their adventures in the Taurus Reach after the events of the Vanguard series.

http://www.davidmack.pro/blog/?p=4675
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 05:17 PM   #2602
Use of Time
Commodore

I finished Vulcan's Forge and have just gotten into The Pandora Principle.
Old August 26 2013, 07:55 PM   #2603
Mage
Commodore

Got some secondhand copies of Pathways and Mosaic by Jeri Taylor and Fire Ship. Heard the last one wasn't that great, but the other two I've heard good things about, and I'm already liking Pathways.
Old August 26 2013, 09:19 PM   #2604
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Decided to go with Star Trek: The Lost Era: The Sundered by Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels. My big Peter David read is expanding exponentially at the minute, and not really sticking to its name.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:44 PM   #2605
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Less than 100 pages to go in the Cold Equations trilogy. Three very different books, but the common theme of AI and Data has been fun.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 01:10 AM   #2606
jpv2000
Captain

I'm now on Destiny Book Three: "Lost Souls" and still loving it.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 05:44 PM   #2607
Lonemagpie
Writer

Read Witchblade Vol. 2 by Ron Marz et al outside while it was sunny. Oddly this collection is issues 86-92 or something...

With Marc Silvestri out of the way the sexism is dialled down a lot in this volume - despite the typically lurid covers, Sara actually dresses sensibly for a New York Cop throughout - except for in the last episode, which has his take on Sara as Botticelli's Venus, gratuitous nudity, and does the Witchblade's origin as both predictable and a total ripoff of the origin of the Slayer line in Buffy.

Before that, however, it's actually really good - Sara does proper police work, there's action, atmosphere, good art, somewhat predictable storylines (hello "Fugitive"), and... Yeah, actually pretty decent. "Partners" is especially good- very moving, female-friendly, takes some risks...

Good jumping-on point for new readers, and an improvement on where I'd left off in the series back around the #30s or so.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 07:20 PM   #2608
USS Firefly
Commander

Too bad I don't have a e-reader
Good to read that the story about the Endeavour's crew continues, hopefully the ship gets a TMP Refit
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 07:42 PM   #2609
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
Too bad I don't have a e-reader
There are programs/apps to read eBooks on your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 12:24 AM   #2610
Sran
Fleet Captain

Cast No Shadow by James Swallow

--Sran