Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 26 2013, 03:48 AM   #1
austen_pierce
Commander

Would Nemesis Have Fared Better?

Had it NOT been released at the same time as The Two Towers?

I remember thinking that the latter was sure to drain sales from Nemesis.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 04:06 AM   #2
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Re: Would Nemesis Have Fared Better?

Not really. It still had James Bond Die Another Day and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to compete with. Also Rick Berman says something to the extent that LOTR didn't have an effect on the BO for NEM because overseas it was not positioned to compete against and other films overseas.

Rick Berman talks about all the shows and films in this video and these articles.

He talks about the movies around 2:39:00. He starts talking about Nemesis around 2:41:00.

Also gives these articles a read for more insight from Berman.

http://www.startrek.com/article/rick...of-trek-part-3
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Had it NOT been released at the same time as The Two Towers?

I remember thinking that the latter was sure to drain sales from Nemesis.
It got beat by the Jennifer Lopez Rom-com Maid in Manhattan its opening weekend. Nemesis would've done better if it had been a better movie. Also, it may have done a bit better financially if it hadn't been near the end of the incredible Trek glut.
Old August 26 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Lance
Fleet Captain

It wouldn't have made the movie any better in terms of story or any of that. But yes, I do think it would have fared better at the box office. NEM faced the most opposition of any Star Trek movie since TFF and the fabled "summer of blockbusters" in 1989. Possibly it faced even stiffer competition than TFF did (no disrespect to Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Batman or Ghostbusters II, but The Two Towers really was THAT big).

There was evidently a degree of franchise fatigue in play as well (Enterprise was hardly setting the world on fire either at the time). But I honestly do think NEM could have done better in terms of $$$ if it hadn't been faced with the opposition that it was. I mean let's face it, come what may, it could hardly have done much worse.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 05:54 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I mean let's face it, come what may, it could hardly have done much worse.
You're right. But it would've been embarrassing to watch it get sucker-punched by romantic-comedies for the five or six weeks it lasted in theaters.
Old August 26 2013, 06:00 PM   #6
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
It got beat by the Jennifer Lopez Rom-com Maid in Manhattan its opening weekend. Nemesis would've done better if it had been a better movie.
The general public are too dumb to care about that, hence why they went to see Maid in Manhattan instead. Nemesis would have done better if they'd waited for more time to pass, promoted it better, and picked a less boring colour palette.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It got beat by the Jennifer Lopez Rom-com Maid in Manhattan its opening weekend. Nemesis would've done better if it had been a better movie.
The general public are too dumb to care about that, hence why they went to see Maid in Manhattan instead. Nemesis would have done better if they'd waited for more time to pass, promoted it better, and picked a less boring colour palette.
It had been nearly four since Insurrection. I'm not sure they would have sold more tickets if they had waited for the actors to become even older and more lifeless.

Star Trek: Nemesis would've fared better at the box-office if it had been a better movie. And I'm not sure it's fair to insult the intelligence of general audiences as they usually turn out for Trek films if they are decent.
Old August 26 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

How would they know if a Star Trek film was decent or not.... before they'd seen it?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:30 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

How would they know if a Star Trek film was decent or not.... before they'd seen it?
Word of mouth? Just because you or I will buy a ticket sight unseen to a Trek movie doesn't mean general audiences are in the same habit.

But in Nemesis case, the script had been leaked early and people were bitching and moaning about it six months before it premiered.
Old August 26 2013, 06:31 PM   #10
SeerSGB
Admiral

Reviews, trailers, commercials, plot synopsis, etc. People make their mind up about seeing a movie and--right or wrong--about the quality before their take the time and money to see it.
Old August 27 2013, 01:53 AM   #11
austen_pierce
Commander

I don't think Nemesis lost any/many tickets to Maid in Manhattan. The two simply draw from a different fan base (at least then). I had forgotten about Bond and Harry Potter; those definitely also had an impact. I don't think they should have waited longer. It had been too long as it was since the lackluster Insurrection.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 04:38 AM   #12
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

People are still blaming NEM's poor BO on TTT? It came out two weeks before TTT, and still flopped miserably.

I'm not surprised that the general public wasn't interested in it, because I wasn't interested in it, and I'm a Trek fan.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 05:42 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

If my experience was anything to go on it might have done better had Insurrection not preceded it.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Dream
Admiral

Nemesis shouldn't have been MADE in the first place, hell NONE of the TNG movies should have been made since they obviously didn't care about good writing.

Let's strike the TNG movies from canon!
Old August 27 2013, 09:33 AM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Nemesis was simply not a good enough film. And the promotion sucked, badly. I remember the ET special on Nemesis that focused on the choice of wedding rings and that Data gets to sing. YAY, that's gonna fill the seats.

I always get the feeling that Paramount intentionally let this film run into the ground to get rid of TNG in the films. Berman himself said in an interview that TPTB didn't want the TNG crew anymore. Then they made all those kind of weird deals regarding director and writer. They reduced the production budget (while with 60 million it was more than in the other films, Patrick Stewart's, Brent Spiner's and Co's salaries rose as well, meaning for the film itself they had even less money). And in other interviews, the cast members said the sets were already being demolished while they were filming. It was clear this film was going to be the last one, no matter what.

A few years later, the budget of the new film skyrocketed and they promoted the living shit out of it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote