Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 26 2013, 06:03 AM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Ships of the Line 2014

Markonian wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post

Great idea! Probably the easiest way is to open a specific thread, something like "Picture the Novelverse!". Do you feel up to it?
How would people like it set up ?

Without wanting to overcomplicate it, there's ships and characters - would you want separate threads ?

How would we separate 'accepted' images such as used on novel covers, Memory Beta stuff or authors sketches from speculative fan produced stuff ?

Should group images by asking people to post on a particular subject (i.e. The Voyager Fleet) before moving onto another topic ?
I agree with wish to not overcomplicate it. As such, I suggest to focus on the artistic effort rather than imposing limits. Mix it, baby!
I'd go that way too. I say just let people post whatever they want as long as it comes from the books and isn't too inappropriate.
Old August 26 2013, 06:23 AM   #32
Lego Thrawn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad it's finally out... for a while, there was word there wouldn't be a 2014 SotL. Glad they changed their minds! Gonna get mine this week.
Lego Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:06 AM   #33
Relayer1
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post

How would people like it set up ?

Without wanting to overcomplicate it, there's ships and characters - would you want separate threads ?

How would we separate 'accepted' images such as used on novel covers, Memory Beta stuff or authors sketches from speculative fan produced stuff ?

Should group images by asking people to post on a particular subject (i.e. The Voyager Fleet) before moving onto another topic ?
I agree with wish to not overcomplicate it. As such, I suggest to focus on the artistic effort rather than imposing limits. Mix it, baby!
I'd go that way too. I say just let people post whatever they want as long as it comes from the books and isn't too inappropriate.
The thread's up - could do with some posts !
Old August 27 2013, 08:05 AM   #34
sojourner
Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
July: The NCC-76890 looks like it's set in-between the Ambassador- and Galaxy-classes but more advanced than both. While it is certainly good-looking, I wouldn't think Starfleet releases an exact intermediary between two flagship classes. Maybe we could learn more about that ship if it receives a cameo in a novel.
You're referring to the design in this thread, I believe?
Yeah, the Onimaru is one of Madkoifish's designs. You can find on his blog (with lots of eyecandy) here. He does some really stunning ship designs.

Also, June is the Belknap class, a fan design that I believe predates FASA trek products. The only images I can find from the calendar on the web are too small to determine if this is a nuTrek version or not.
Old August 27 2013, 02:36 PM   #35
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I wonder what the original designer of the Belknap-class (which I originally saw in the unlicensed technical manual Ships of the Star Fleet) thinks of another artist making money from a CG rendering of their design? It's not the first time it's appeared in a licensed Trek product - a ship of that class was seen in a DC TNG annual.
Old August 27 2013, 08:22 PM   #36
Doom Shepherd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I wonder what the original designer of the Belknap-class (which I originally saw in the unlicensed technical manual Ships of the Star Fleet) thinks of another artist making money from a CG rendering of their design? It's not the first time it's appeared in a licensed Trek product - a ship of that class was seen in a DC TNG annual.
As I understand the copyright, Paramount has rights to "all derivative works," which extends to all fanmade designs. So it probably sucks, but there's probably nothing they can legally do about it.

(Came across a similar issue a few years back in a ships forum where two artists were fighting over the "rights" to one's redrawing of the other's original design.)
Old August 28 2013, 04:48 AM   #37
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Also, June is the Belknap class, a fan design that I believe predates FASA trek products. The only images I can find from the calendar on the web are too small to determine if this is a nuTrek version or not.
Hmm... I can only find small images too, but the nacelles appear to be prime-universe ones...
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:47 AM   #38
sojourner
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I wonder what the original designer of the Belknap-class (which I originally saw in the unlicensed technical manual Ships of the Star Fleet) thinks of another artist making money from a CG rendering of their design?
I am not sure the CGI artists are getting paid for their contributions. I'll see if Madkoifish is willing to comment on the subject.
Old August 28 2013, 09:37 AM   #39
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

They are.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:23 AM   #40
Leonard Emery
Cadet

June is actually an Athabaska class exploratory cruiser.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...atter/DoV2.png

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...enGateclay.jpg
Leonard Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:02 AM   #41
sojourner
Admiral

Leonard Emery wrote: View Post
That's a modified Belknap.

To follow up, yeah, Madkoifish confirmed that they do get paid for their contributions to the calendar.
Old August 29 2013, 05:07 AM   #42
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Leonard Emery wrote: View Post
Judging from your user name, I'd say that's a pretty definitive answer!

Thanks for sharing this info!

(IIRC, the Athabaska Class is from the old Starfleet Prototype, is that correct?)

Last edited by Avro Arrow; August 29 2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Modified to add quote so it didn't look like I was replying to the wrong person.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:11 AM   #43
sojourner
Admiral

The Belknap dates from at least 1985 as you can see from this page.

I actually bought these prints back in the 80's

Regardless, the calendar image looks great. It's always hard to make that class look good from any angle but the side. Great job!

Last edited by sojourner; August 29 2013 at 05:22 AM.
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 03:01 AM   #44
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Finally got my copy this week.

Are the reviews going in this thread?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 02:46 PM   #45
trampledamage
Clone

Re: Ships of the Line 2014 - REVIEWS

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Finally got my copy this week.

Are the reviews going in this thread?
I think people have already been discussing their impressions of the calendar so yes, let's put reviews in here too. I'll amend the title.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote