RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,807
Posts: 5,326,245
Members: 24,549
Currently online: 641
Newest member: kania

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 26 2013, 09:59 PM   #226
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post
As far as I can see the only flaw in the confession is the money Walt payed for medical treatment. Why would a drug kingpin need his employee brother in law to pay a couple hundred thousand in medical fees?
Deniability. Think about it. DEA agent on a modest salary is paying for almost $200K in top-notch rehab? I don't think so. Instead, use a cover story that your gambling addict brother-in-law paid for it with his winnings, instead. The best part of said cover story is that it's (mostly) true! This puts all the risk on Walt, which fits perfectly with the narrative of Hank blackmailing and threatening him into doing it. The whole thing hinges on Hank being this master manipulator, a more shrewd kingpin than even Gus Fring. His relentless pursuit of Fring, by the way, is cast in an entirely different light once you believe he was using DEA resources to thwart his competitors. This might be a smarter move by Walt than we realize, though it has no evidence to back it up other than the money Walt paid for Hank's treatment--which is, as Hank said, the "nail in the coffin" for him.
why not just say your wife has really good health insurance at her job?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 10:10 PM   #227
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

^ Because the insurance didn't pay. There's no paper trail to back that up. They paid cash.

davejames wrote: View Post
I can't help but wonder what Skyler's thought process is during all this. Has she really been corrupted so much by Walt that she's okay with framing Hank and Marie this way? As much as she'd clearly like to hold onto the money and keep Walt (and herself) out of prison, it seems like an awfully vicious way to treat her own family.

Or is she just so much in a state of shock that she's not thinking clearly anymore and is simply going along with whatever Walt says now?

I'm not a Skyler-hater by any means, and think the actress is doing a terrific job, but I'm just having a really hard time reading what the character is thinking right now.
Looks to me like she's stuck between a rock and a hard place, though a lot of commentary from Talking Bad suggests that she's a lot more insidious than she looks on the surface.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 10:52 PM   #228
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post
As far as I can see the only flaw in the confession is the money Walt payed for medical treatment. Why would a drug kingpin need his employee brother in law to pay a couple hundred thousand in medical fees?
Deniability. Think about it. DEA agent on a modest salary is paying for almost $200K in top-notch rehab? I don't think so. Instead, use a cover story that your gambling addict brother-in-law paid for it with his winnings, instead. The best part of said cover story is that it's (mostly) true! This puts all the risk on Walt, which fits perfectly with the narrative of Hank blackmailing and threatening him into doing it. The whole thing hinges on Hank being this master manipulator, a more shrewd kingpin than even Gus Fring. His relentless pursuit of Fring, by the way, is cast in an entirely different light once you believe he was using DEA resources to thwart his competitors. This might be a smarter move by Walt than we realize, though it has no evidence to back it up other than the money Walt paid for Hank's treatment--which is, as Hank said, the "nail in the coffin" for him.
So Hank became a drug kingpin, committed murders, etc for $200,000? Where's the rest of the money? Right now, Hank really has no motive for being Heisnberg unless someone could find millions of dollars hidden away somewhere (I'm tempted to do one of those lame ass "oh wait" takes here).

This is the reason, I think, Hank initially referred to Walt's confession as a threat. There is no evidence other than Walt's word that Hank is Heisenberg.

I took the 'nail in the coffin' remark to be a reference to Hank's career if the video were given to the DEA. Because it would be highly unlikely that Walt's 'confession' alone would be enough to even get a case to trial against Hank, despite the $177,000 rehab payment. But the video would certainly place Hank in a position where his personal integrity could become an issue and that alone would probably end his government law enforvment career.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 10:58 PM   #229
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

gblews wrote: View Post
I took the 'nail in the coffin' remark to be a reference to Hank's career if the video were given to the DEA.
The nail in the coffin was the fact that Hank's wife paid cash that they aren't supposed to have. That's tangible evidence that Hank could have been involved in drugs.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:14 PM   #230
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season





Dean Norris makes a surprisingly credible Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:36 PM   #231
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

^

He does do a convincing Bryan Cranston. I didn't even know that was him in make-up at first. Great clip.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:47 PM   #232
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

gblews wrote: View Post
So Hank became a drug kingpin, committed murders, etc for $200,000? Where's the rest of the money? Right now, Hank really has no motive for being Heisnberg unless someone could find millions of dollars hidden away somewhere (I'm tempted to do one of those lame ass "oh wait" takes here).

This is the reason, I think, Hank initially referred to Walt's confession as a threat. There is no evidence other than Walt's word that Hank is Heisenberg.

I took the 'nail in the coffin' remark to be a reference to Hank's career if the video were given to the DEA. Because it would be highly unlikely that Walt's 'confession' alone would be enough to even get a case to trial against Hank, despite the $177,000 rehab payment. But the video would certainly place Hank in a position where his personal integrity could become an issue and that alone would probably end his government law enforvment career.
I think Walt's main intention with the video was just to "muddy the waters" enough that Hank might decide it would be more trouble than it's worth to continue pursuing him. Even if the DEA did eventually see through the ruse and side with Hank, it would take a lot of time and energy on his part to get to that point. And in the meantime he would have completely trashed his career.

Plus I think Walt wanted to show him just how good a liar and actor he was-- something which I don't think Hank truly realized until he saw his performance in the video.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:08 AM   #233
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
I took the 'nail in the coffin' remark to be a reference to Hank's career if the video were given to the DEA.
The nail in the coffin was the fact that Hank's wife paid cash that they aren't supposed to have. That's tangible evidence that Hank could have been involved in drugs.
Not by itself. They would have to come up with considerably more than $177,000. And Hisenberg's dope was still being sold long after the rehab payment. How much cash do Hank and Marie have now? There are unaccounted for millions AFTER the rehab payment.

If there is no cash or electronic funds, and no means or evidence of laundering, then all the financial evidence would consist of $177,000. That is a paltry sum if you are trying to prove that a person has reaped the financial benefits of a drug empire which Walt claims in his confession Hank runs. If that's true, then where's all the "benefits"?

Walt would be telling the DEA that Hank is the drug kingpin while Walt, an "underling" and therefor a lesser earner, needs an obvious means of money laundering while the top dog does not? Should be the other way around.

Hank feels his career is already "in the coffin", the 'last nail" in the coffin is the blow to his integrity caused by Walt's accusations and how the $177,000 would muddy the water even further.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:25 AM   #234
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

The point of the video wasn't to hurt Hank, it was to create a mutually assured destruction situation with Hank.

I don't see Skylar as a monster, so much as a terrified, defeated woman.

Walt didn't kill Jesse out in the desert because he's stubborn, and he's emotional. He doesn't want to, and convinced himself he didn't need to. And he wouldn't have needed to if Jesse hadn't figured out he poisoned Brock.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:55 AM   #235
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

gblews wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
I took the 'nail in the coffin' remark to be a reference to Hank's career if the video were given to the DEA.
The nail in the coffin was the fact that Hank's wife paid cash that they aren't supposed to have. That's tangible evidence that Hank could have been involved in drugs.
Not by itself. They would have to come up with considerably more than $177,000. And Hisenberg's dope was still being sold long after the rehab payment. How much cash do Hank and Marie have now? There are unaccounted for millions AFTER the rehab payment.

If there is no cash or electronic funds, and no means or evidence of laundering, then all the financial evidence would consist of $177,000. That is a paltry sum if you are trying to prove that a person has reaped the financial benefits of a drug empire which Walt claims in his confession Hank runs. If that's true, then where's all the "benefits"?

Walt would be telling the DEA that Hank is the drug kingpin while Walt, an "underling" and therefor a lesser earner, needs an obvious means of money laundering while the top dog does not? Should be the other way around.

Hank feels his career is already "in the coffin", the 'last nail" in the coffin is the blow to his integrity caused by Walt's accusations and how the $177,000 would muddy the water even further.

But same thing for Walter, all he has to show is a car wash and a new car, where is the rest the DEA would wonder. So this can apply to Hank thinking he stashed the money away.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 01:11 AM   #236
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Let's not forget that Walt's gambling story is pretty airtight, too, so the DEA would have to go pretty deep down the rabbit hole to unravel it. Saul arranged it, including getting some casinos on board to write off losses. The paper trail for all that is neat and clean, and that money was used to buy the car wash, which is profitable enough to support Walt leasing two new cars.

Of course, if Walt did try to sell the "Kingpin Hank" story, the gambling story would go right out the window and Walt would lose the car wash, his house, the cars--everything (except the money buried in the desert, which no doubt the DEA would be surveilling him to find.)
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 01:31 AM   #237
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
Now that the cat's out of the bag about Brock, I'm guessing Walt will be forced to go after Jesse. I'm so used to seeing Walt figure out solutions, but not this time.
I'm just speculating here and my post doesn't actually contain any spoilers, but I'm putting my thoughts behind a spoiler tag just in case I happen to be right.




Walt's "confession" video was brilliant, I had to rewind the scene because I was laughing so hard. A classic Breaking Bad scene.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:30 PM   #238
Seven of Five
Commodore
 
Seven of Five's Avatar
 
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

The video was pretty fun, but I loved the awkward-as-hell dinner. The over-enthusiastic waiter that kept interrupting was the icing on the cake. I'm surprised Hank and Marie's death glares didn't actually finish Walt and Skylar off right there and then.

I actually felt sympathy for Skylar this week, which I hadn't done since she sided with her husband when Hank tried to help her. She knows that she is up shit creek, and seems to be just plodding on as best as she can, both with Walt and at work. I can't help but feel that she may yet come running to her sister with the kids after she finally wakes up. What makes this feeling stronger for me was a scene where the white outfit she was wearing was heavily contrasted with Walt being pretty much black in the shadows.

Jesse finally realising what Walt did to Brock was a major turning point, even if his working it out was a little contrived. I nearly shed a tear for the hug Walt gave him in the desert though. It summed up the complicated relationship those two have had. Walt is a dangerous man, and would hurt Jesse if it would help himself. Yet after that, Walt does care about what happens to him.

I think Todd will die by the hands of the new scary-Jesse, in revenge for killing the kid at the railway, which may result in Walt needing to rescue him for old time's sake from the family.
__________________
Other prisons do Shakespeare and shit. I want to play a role, like Desdemona or Ophelia or Clair Huxtable.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 05:46 PM   #239
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

There was a lot of telling in that shot of Skyler in the back room of the car wash, lost in her own thoughts (or lack of) and when Walt comes in he's obscured by the darkness. Skyler speaks to him, but there's really no one at the controls, so to speak. She's exhausted from spending so much time with this person that she is supposed to know so well; she doesn't really know him at all. He's a total stranger to her. But does she argue with him and put up a stink like the previous seasons? No. She's beaten down so completely by Walt's alter ego that she now supports him 100%. I guess this observation could have been made before this episode but I liked how clear it was from the composition of the scene.

I too hadn't time to catch up with rewatching the whole series -only made it as far as season three... so the ricin/cigarette revelation went over my head, too as it was covered in season 4 and/or 5a.

I guess Hank and Jesse might team up against Walt? I hope not. I like the idea of Jesse and Walt going down together.
I wonder how serious talk of a Better Call Saul spin off is. Hopefully he survives.
Walt and Skyler are going to become more and more isolated. It's not as though they have any friends outside of their small family. I just hope Walt Jr./Flinn is able to react to and figure out the meth thing for himself. I can't imagine he'd turn against Walt but if he did... would Walt be able to take it? Maybe there's something prophetic in what hank's wife says... maybe Walt will suicide somehow, even if it's by-cop.
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 06:06 PM   #240
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

billcosby wrote: View Post
I wonder how serious talk of a Better Call Saul spin off is. Hopefully he survives.
There is talk of it being a prequel or a seque or 30 or 60 minutes, so it doesn't seem planned.

I think he will live though.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
breaking bad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.