Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 23 2013, 09:53 PM   #796
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The more and more I read about GR, the more I think that, while he had good ideas, he really depended on the people around him to really make them great.

If you look at the places where GR had little accountability to anyone (some of TOS, TMP, TNG S1-2) they were really pretty rough and generally perceived as being okay but not great.

That's just my opinion though...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 10:40 PM   #797
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Makarov wrote: View Post
I was surprised to hear that Gene Roddenberry didn't want to do "Redemption" because he thought Worf didn't deserve his own episodes. I know he's applauded for his vision but jeez, he didn't want a bald captain or worf episodes... it seems Rick Berman and the rest of the creative team saved the day in that regards.
I wasn't aware of that, but it might have had something to do with the fact that Roddenberry never wanted Worf in the first place. He didn't want Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, or any reference whatsoever to the original series, beyond the nebulous idea of the show taking place 80 years or so after the original series. He essentially wanted a reboot.
Old August 23 2013, 11:11 PM   #798
Flake
Commodore

I think the fact that Roddenberry was going a bit loopy when he made TNG made the show much better

Making it fresh and different was the way to go, if they had gone with a different producer we would have ended up with a ripoff of TOS instead. He took a big risk because he believed 100% in his abilities and believed in his concept while all around him producers were stating he show would undoubtedly fail.

Without the foundations that Roddenberry laid I think the second Trek series would have not been as successful. It is fortunate that people were able to build upon his work as he became more ill and made the show better.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:18 PM   #799
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Flake wrote: View Post
I think the fact that Roddenberry was going a bit loopy when he made TNG made the show much better

Making it fresh and different was the way to go, if they had gone with a different producer we would have ended up with a ripoff of TOS instead. He took a big risk because he believed 100% in his abilities and believed in his concept while all around him producers were stating he show would undoubtedly fail.

Without the foundations that Roddenberry laid I think the second Trek series would have not been as successful. It is fortunate that people were able to build upon his work as he became more ill and made the show better.
I tend to think the people around him -- Justman, Fontana, Gerrold -- were as much responsible or even more so for TNG having any chance. These were people who actually co-created TNG but were robbed of getting any of the credit by Roddenberry's massive ego. If it hadn't been for them, TNG may have been DOA.
Old August 23 2013, 11:38 PM   #800
Makarov
Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware of that, but it might have had something to do with the fact that Roddenberry never wanted Worf in the first place. He didn't want Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, or any reference whatsoever to the original series, beyond the nebulous idea of the show taking place 80 years or so after the original series. He essentially wanted a reboot.
Definitely could be. Also in the special features they said the reason was that Worf wasn't a main cast character, and Gene Roddenberry didn't want episodes centered on non-main cast.

I'm really glad TNG is so different from TOS, so maybe Roddenberry is to thank for that. Worf is one of my favorite characters though, I mean Birthright is one of my favorite episodes ever. It would suck to not have his centric eps.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:40 PM   #801
Flake
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post

I tend to think the people around him -- Justman, Fontana, Gerrold -- were as much responsible or even more so for TNG having any chance. These were people who actually co-created TNG but were robbed of getting any of the credit by Roddenberry's massive ego. If it hadn't been for them, TNG may have been DOA.
Roddenberry was in charge though so he should get the credit IMO because if it failed and was DOA you can bet he would've got the blame. He came up with the concept and the characters etc I think? He had some lame ideas but some good ones too. Berman refined it later on. Sure the people around him and Berman were a huge part of the success but Roddenberry came up with it! He assembled the team?
Old August 25 2013, 01:02 AM   #802
Makarov
Commander

I gotta hand it to that actor who plays the admiral Thomas Henry in The Drumhead. He does a great disgusted walk off, without even having any lines.

Funniest line in the season is after Riker flips out "Shut up! As in close your mouth and stop talking!" Troi says "I can sense you're upset" That's some betazoid skill right there.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 01:54 AM   #803
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Funny moment for me is as the special envoy during "The Drumhead" whatshername is badger Picard as he's on the stand he says, "You know... There are some word's I've known since I was a boy..." and I always half-expect him to launch into a profanity-laden tirade on her.
Old August 25 2013, 02:01 AM   #804
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Funny moment for me is as the special envoy during "The Drumhead" whatshername is badger Picard as he's on the stand he says, "You know... There are some word's I've known since I was a boy..." and I always half-expect him to launch into a profanity-laden tirade on her.
One of the things I love about picard is his ability to be badass but still keep that calm composure. I watched "The Wounded" this week and the way he tells off Macet while giving him the death stare is funny and awesome at the same time.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; August 25 2013 at 06:40 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 02:02 AM   #805
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Yeah, Picard is good at the subtle badassery.
Old August 25 2013, 11:22 PM   #806
Flake
Commodore

_finally_ got season 4 blu-ray yesterday and finally just now found a minute to watch it. First episode I want to see is 'Brothers' and the first thing I am greeted with is that awful fly-by! (blurry windows) How can they pass that? Oh well.. only a die hard trekkie would complain about such things
Old August 26 2013, 06:58 AM   #807
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Man "The Drumhead" is more timely today than it's ever been. Still a great episode after all these years.

I guess I should admit that "QPid" is a guilty pleasure, yet I don't feel guilty for liking it. I liked seeing Picard has Robin Hood and it was great to see Vash back. However, I think the reason I love this episode was that it was the first episode I ever remember watching in all of Star Trek. I know because I was watching with the family, I would always look forward to when the "Robin Hood" episode was re-airing because it was just so much fun. As someone who was 5 years old at the time, that fun meant more than it does today. I also think I fell in love with Q after this episode. So many memories for an episode I find out later isn't that well liked.
Old August 26 2013, 10:22 AM   #808
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

It's shocking to me how much "The Drumhead" resonates true i in this day, probably a heck of a lot more than it resonated back in 1991.
Old August 26 2013, 02:15 PM   #809
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm near the end of season four and damn, it's pretty. But so much of it is just so "sterile". So much of the dialogue is stilted and dull, many of the supposed emotional moments just feel forced. There's just no other way to explain it.

With each passing season I become less emotionally invested in the characters.
Old August 26 2013, 04:53 PM   #810
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm near the end of season four and damn, it's pretty. But so much of it is just so "sterile". So much of the dialogue is stilted and dull, many of the supposed emotional moments just feel forced. There's just no other way to explain it.

With each passing season I become less emotionally invested in the characters.
Interesting, but I dont see that at all. It's the best STNG season, only two weak ones in the entire bunch.