Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 24 2013, 06:11 AM   #16
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: So is [SPOILER] really a copy?

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
EDIT: Is there a way to change the thread title?
What change did you have in mind?
"So is [SPOILER] really a copy?"
Done.

All posts to this point now reflect the amended title.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
[serenitytrek, please do not again quote a lengthy post merely as an excuse to call attention to a YouTube comments thread - a large sample of which appears to consist of you and your pal "trekfreek" arguing with people. Your post below had zero relevance to the post you quoted and zero relevance to the topic of this thread. That's spamming, and you ought to know better. - M']
I find the JJ raped my childhood comments so over the top.
Don't spam, serenitytrek1.
Old August 26 2013, 09:48 AM   #17
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

If the climax of your film consists of a rip off of a previous film's climax, you have a problem.

And then the scene is on so many levels inferior to the original. Kirk's reaction to Bones' call, the intercut of the themes birth and death when he runs through the corridors, the score, and then the acting. Shatner's simple, low key "No..." at the end is impressive. No completely out of place KHAAAAN screaming. It really makes no sense in STD, it absolutely doesn't.

The scene in STD feels like a bunch of fanboys with lots of money trying hard.

I'm sure that if you showed both scenes to an unbiased group of people, they would pick the scene in TWOK over STD.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:25 AM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Beats the Hell out of much of Voyager and Enterprise where you had people who were admittedly not fans who had lots of money and didn't seem to be trying very hard at all.
Old August 26 2013, 11:33 AM   #19
SeerSGB
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If the climax of your film consists of a rip off of a previous film's climax, you have a problem.

And then the scene is on so many levels inferior to the original. Kirk's reaction to Bones' call, the intercut of the themes birth and death when he runs through the corridors, the score, and then the acting. Shatner's simple, low key "No..." at the end is impressive. No completely out of place KHAAAAN screaming. It really makes no sense in STD, it absolutely doesn't.

I'm sure that if you showed both scenes to an unbiased group of people, they would pick the scene in TWOK over STD.
I was fine with the scene up to Quinto's scream. That was it for me, I about busted out laughing. He's not a bad actor, he's done great with Spock, but they shouldn't have had him do the scream he doesn't have the voice for it.

That also marks a turning point where everything felt to rushed to get to the ending.
Old August 26 2013, 12:15 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I actually enjoyed STID for the most part, but Kirk's death scene being a blatant remake of Spock's is one thing I really can't stand. That entire scene just pulled me out of the movie completely, had me thinking "Seriously? We're doing this?" Hell, I know a guy in RL who practically is an Abrams gusher who feels that scene ruined the movie completely.

The scene lacks any kind of real emotional resonance because it leave the fans thinking of the far superior version of the scene they've already seen. And really, taking one of Trek's most memorable scenes and watering it down for cheap dramatic value, how low is that?

I generally agree with this. It threw me out of the movie as well. It was a blatant rip-off of the TWOK scene. Sure you can change the dialouge a bit reverse the roles, but it at it's core it was the same scene. Just not done as well of course others might have different opinions.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 01:19 PM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I actually enjoyed STID for the most part, but Kirk's death scene being a blatant remake of Spock's is one thing I really can't stand. That entire scene just pulled me out of the movie completely, had me thinking "Seriously? We're doing this?" Hell, I know a guy in RL who practically is an Abrams gusher who feels that scene ruined the movie completely.

The scene lacks any kind of real emotional resonance because it leave the fans thinking of the far superior version of the scene they've already seen. And really, taking one of Trek's most memorable scenes and watering it down for cheap dramatic value, how low is that?

I generally agree with this. It threw me out of the movie as well. It was a blatant rip-off of the TWOK scene. Sure you can change the dialouge a bit reverse the roles, but it at it's core it was the same scene. Just not done as well of course others might have different opinions.
I'm reminded of the joke I made when I first saw the movie, that the scene in STID had everything from TWOK except the elderly Chinese guy. And you have no idea how much I was expecting to see Spock bump into an elderly Chinese guy when he ran into the engine room. It was almost like seeing the Enterprise reveal in XI, where I kept looking around the corners of the screen trying to find a backwards-flipping spaceman.
Old August 26 2013, 04:24 PM   #22
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The Kirk "death" in Darkness felt to me more like Generations than the Spock in TWOK. I think they walked a fine line with Spock yelling "KHAN!!!!!!" Also the fight between Khan and Spock reminded me of young Spock beating on the bully in the first Trek movie.

-Chris