Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 25 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Would Q allow humanity or federation to be dstroyed?

Shawnster wrote: View Post
I don't understand what Q's objection was to the human race, specifically. In Encounter at Farpoint, Q's specific target for ire is humanity. From what I've seen in all of Star Trek, Humans are no different than any other species in the galaxy when it comes to morals, goals, ambitions, desires, manifest destiny, etc...
The original intent evident in "Farpoint" is that humanity/Starfleet was just now impinging on the Q's territory as they expanded farther into space. That idea was later abandoned as subsequent episodes amped up the Q's power to godlike, universe-spanning levels.

The idea that I believe emerged in later episodes starting with "Hide and Q," and which I hinted at in my novel The Buried Age, is that the Q were testing us because they recognized that we had the potential to evolve to their level.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Dream
Admiral

The Q continuum definitely are interested in humans, otherwise they wouldn't they wouldn't have made first contact with humanity in "Farpoint". They choose Q (De Lancie) to be their representative, who turned out to be pretty poor at his duty since he began to feel for the mortals after all his experiences with them. I see their interest in humans continuing as long as they are watching. Maybe they think studying us will allow them to learn more about themselves?

It's the other races they don't seem to give a damn about.

However, I don't see them appearing out of no where to save the day. That's never been their style with perhaps one or two exceptions. They've always caused more problems than they have solved.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 04:00 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Q going out of his way to save humanity is akin to us going out of our way to save an anthill that's about to be flooded. Sure we could do it, but why bother? They're just annoying pests.
Old August 25 2013, 04:38 PM   #19
The Librarian
Commodore

I agree with the people who say he probably wouldn't intervene in a mundane invasion or disaster, certainly not beyond a few hints to his favorites. As Guinan points out in "The Best of Both Worlds", the destruction of Earth does not mean the destruction of humanity. Being scattered around the galaxy might not impact whatever it is that makes Q so interested in us. If the Dowd or whoever tried to wish us into the cornfield, that would be a different thing.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:33 PM   #20
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

The idea of Q saving humanity from the Borg seems particularly wrong. The whole basis of Q prematurely introducing humanity to the Borg was to give them a kick in the behind regarding their readiness to face such threats. There'd have been no point to the exercise if Q planned to protect them from the Borg anyway.

As for Shinzon...technically he was a human, and a clone of Picard no less...had he succeeded, Q may have simply gained a new favorite human. Besides, Q had too much class to appear in such a crappy film.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Q probably sees Picard and Janeway as something like pet goldfish. He likes having them around and will make some effort on behalf of their upkeep, but he doesn't expect them to last very long and won't be too heartbroken on the day they go belly-up in the bowl. He'll just get a new goldfish, or maybe an angelfish or guppy or something this time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 04:39 AM   #22
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

The humanity angle always bothered me, The Federation is a multi-species organization, as is Starfleet. it makes little sense to single out humans. Or is it really a "Homo Sapiens-only club"?
Old August 26 2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Dream
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The humanity angle always bothered me, The Federation is a multi-species organization, as is Starfleet. it makes little sense to single out humans. Or is it really a "Homo Sapiens-only club"?
It has never been about the Federation, it has always been about humanity. Humans are the main reason for the Federation being as powerful as it has become. Besides, you can't expect the audience to care about the unseen alien races that rarely appear onscreen.
Old August 26 2013, 05:12 AM   #24
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
It has never been about the Federation, it has always been about humanity. Humans are the main reason for the Federation being as powerful as it has become. Besides, you can't expect the audience to care about the unseen alien races that rarely appear onscreen.
I still think having Q single out humans on a Federation ship is poor writing and runs counter to the setting of the show.
Old August 26 2013, 05:34 AM   #25
Dream
Admiral

I still think having Q single out humans on a Federation ship is poor writing and runs counter to the setting of the show.
Q only picked Picard and Janeway because their ships were at the right place at the right time. The Enterprise D was getting too far out, while Q only landed on Voyager after Janeway freed Quinn from the comet.

Would he have appeared on a ship with a non human captain? Sure, but to me the trial was always going to be about humanity.

But we don't know if the Q have any interest in other races since we have never seen it on the show. He could have been annoying the Dominion offscreen, but we wouldn't know it. I'm sure the Borg Colelctive are aware of their existence, especially after assimilating Picard.
Old August 26 2013, 05:59 AM   #26
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Q can be anywhere at any time.

All I'm saying is that the idea of putting humanity on trial is a weak one from a story and setting standpoint. Over all Encounter at Farpoint is probably the weakest of the Trek pilots and that element is one of the reasons why.
Old August 26 2013, 06:30 AM   #27
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Roddenberry apparently got the idea of Q after the main story involving the jellyfish aliens was developed. So the trial plot was probably quickly written and just shoved in there where it could fit.
Old August 26 2013, 06:38 AM   #28
Dream
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Roddenberry apparently got the idea of Q after the main story involving the jellyfish aliens was developed. So the trial plot was probably quickly written and just shoved in there where it could fit.
Oh, definitely. But I think he was always meant to be a reoccurring since he appeared twice in the first season. The later writers developed the character and idea of his people as the show went along.
Old August 26 2013, 02:16 PM   #29
jpv2000
Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The idea of Q saving humanity from the Borg seems particularly wrong. The whole basis of Q prematurely introducing humanity to the Borg was to give them a kick in the behind regarding their readiness to face such threats. There'd have been no point to the exercise if Q planned to protect them from the Borg anyway.
That's the way I've always understood it as well.

As for Shinzon...technically he was a human, and a clone of Picard no less...had he succeeded, Q may have simply gained a new favorite human. Besides, Q had too much class to appear in such a crappy film.
But, Nemesis is my favorite TNG move.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 02:28 PM   #30
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Q took an interest in the human species. He couldn't have cared less what political alliance they belonged to. That would just be lines on a map that was drawn by ants.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote