STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Excellent news !

Maybe just maybe this is an update before the Japan money? If so there is a real chance of $470m. Reason I mention this is because I always thought BOM updated the international grosses on Tuesdays.

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Flake

Those are not actual numbers, they are an estimate of what is expected to happen (thus the title "weekend Forecast"). Japan as yet to release their numbers for the full weekend, though studios do know what the results are.

So you will see individual film results, you wont see a full chart of all the releases yet from Japan.

Flake, you also state:
    "Maybe just maybe this is an update before the Japan money? If so there is a real chance of $470m. Reason I mention this is because I always thought BOM updated the international grosses on Tuesdays."

Actually BOM have been reporting Foreign grosses almost all of this year on Sunday, when those numbers are provided by the studios. For Trek, for example, all but one weekend has been reported of its overseas gross and updated on BOM by Sunday.

Now what is true is that BOM updates individual market results on Tuesday (which gives a look at the overall market from each country) and that has traditionally been when overseas results have been added, but every since BOM was bought out, we have seen more updates on Sunday, for the films when the data is out there.

So in Short (oops to late) most weeks for major films BOM will have Sunday updates for overseas results. But it you want to see how that film did against other films in that same market you will need (either local results) or read the report that will be posted, for many, but not all put out on Tuesday.

And no that number isn't going to increase 2.7 for Tuesday, for reasons easily apparent at the start of this post.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Japan did 4.3 million from 319 theaters. out of the 4.5 in grossed this weekend from 8 territories.

Star Trek 2009 did 161,000 for its opening in Argentina, and 1.54 million in Japan.

This time we know Japan did 4.3 million (nearly the full amount of its run from Trek 09, which was 5.82 million).

Clearly its going to do more then that. Even with huge drops it seems assured of 10 million. And ok run would put it at 15 million, great holds would put it at 20.

Japan is a curious country, its one of the few countries to not have increases in ticket prices over the years, so you would naturally expect a much smaller increase. Its also a market that US films for the last couple years have under performed, with local films taking a larger share of its total ticket sales. I think its safe to say that Japan can join the majority of Asia as finally getting Trek.

Though its performance in Asia isn't matching the levels a True global blockbuster normally gets, Trek is getting in Asia performance levels equal to Trek best in the US, and places like Great Britain.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. Flake

Ok, thanks for the info mswood ! :)

5. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

I think your 4.3 million number includes a 3-day preview from last week so that's not a weekend estimate. That's closer to a 5 day run.

The 10-12 million that RAMA predicted sounds about right.

6. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Forbes Magazine says "Star Trek Into Darkness" was the worst marketed film of the summer.

J.J. Abrams' 'mystery box' approach was well-intentioned but back-fired. And though the film did well, it didn't do great.

I was not stunned by the Enterprise-crashing-into-a-planet movie poster design.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...nd-worst-marketed-movies-of-summer-2013-were/

Nice to get the story from a non-fan/geek website. Abrams will probably learn from his mistakes this time around and apply a more creative marketing strategy for "Star Wars Episode VII". Maybe he will have less control over the marketing of that film.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Good article and I think this says it all:

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Very correct assessment, I'd say.

As much as I liked the movie (my favorite of the all the Trek movies), and as much as my non-Trek fan family members liked the movie, it was indeed not well-marketed and very oddly titled and teased given its story and theme. Walking out after seeing it the first time, I was surprised at how fun, light, and often quite humorous it was, with some heartfelt character moments that one wouldn't have expected from how it was being sold.

The payoff for it being Khan wasn't that big for all mystery. Khan was obviously important to the story, and very well played by Cumberbatch given the character's motivations this time. But using Khan was not for kick-ass evil purposes. He didn't drive the movie with glee like Khan in TWOK.

To the extent there was fan service in using the character, Khan created a neat link between the two Kirks. The adventure with Khan Prime was responsible for restoring a middle-aged Kirk Prime's confidence and sense of purpose. The conflict surrounding Cumby's Khan was responsible for a young Kirk realizing he had to grow up and have a sense of purpose. This movie was about Kirk growing into the chair, after all.

It also made no sense that the villain's name and plot points were kept such a secret (well, poorly kept secret), yet widely staggered release dates meant that by the time it opened in the United States, the cat was out of the bag on all the surprises, anyway.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

with $457 million worldwide, Star Trek Into Darkness is no flop and will eventually make money once Trekkies buy the Blu Rays.

That a movie can make $457 and still not be in the black is quite mind blowing. I wonder if Nemesis, after a decade of DVD and Bluray re-releases, has finally turned a profit?

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yup. The marketing for the film definitely could have been better. And I have said several times that, while using Khan was the absolute right choice, keeping the cat in the bag was a poor choice. They could have just gone with it as far back as the early teaser, even used TWOK footage (wouldn't be a first for a Trek teaser).

Something like:

Start with delta over a black screen and MontalKhan: "Do you know of the old Klingon proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold? It is very cold in space." Fade into a moving star field slowly zooming on Vengeance, with Shat's "Khan!" echoing in the background. Cut to, CumbyKhan, "Shall we begin?" Fade out to Title, date, credits.

Obviously, not the best example. I'm just trying to show that something like that would have not only put it out there, but by invoking the obviously inevitable comparison/contrast, they've instantly created a natural buzz on the interwebz.

Would it made a huge difference? Probably not, but even 5-10% would have bumped the film into the next bracket.

11. Flake

Well, in the UK I felt there was very little advertising on TV.

There are currently adverts running on UK TV for a new magazine that lets you collect all the starships in Star Trek every fortnight and I am seeing this advert more frequently than I saw adverts for STID!

EDIT: I have got issue 1 of that and the E-D looks great, though annoyingly because of this Paramount/CBS crap I don't think I will get NuEnt/Kelvin/Vengeance unfortunately.

12. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

So apparently there'll be a Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z double feature thing going soon. Wonder how much that will add to the domestic totals.

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Yes, I agree with Forbes assessment of STiD. The marketing of the movie was pretty piss poor, and I can say Khan's reveal in the movie was lacking. They should have gone without the secrecy and go with an awesome Khan movie right out of the gate. TOS' main villian is Khan. He's The Joker to Batman. They missed a perfect opportunity.

That said, still love STiD. Great f-ing flick.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They are mainly doing that so WWZ can cross 200 Million in America.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Something interesting about what happens if a film can reach a certain milestone like 200 or 300 million.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/27/...r-it-takes-to-get-world-war-z-to-200-million/

16. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

That is interesting, I just hope that STID gets some benefit from having this week of double feature screenings.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

With all due respect, it made its money back some time ago. The budget was $190,000,000. So the profit so far has been $257,000,000.

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Oh no you didn't!

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I think this is a great idea and hope they do it in Kingston. I would happily go see the two of them again in a double feature. Is the timing set to coincide with the Blu-ray release?

20. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

There are dozens of pages in this thread explaining how that the ticket revenue at the theater does not just all magically get delivered to the movie studios any more than every time you buy a pair of shoes at Foot Locker that all the money goes to Nike.