Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 25 2013, 06:23 AM   #16
The Overlord
Captain

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I'm looking at this from my own perspective, the only one I have.

Watching tv is not a priority in our lives. My wife and I work a lot of hours, and keeping up with a series is hard to do. Most of the shows we like are in reruns, because we missed them in first run.

I've spent more time online today than I have in the last month, and that's because I'm at a standstill in other things.

It's hard to follow a serialized show with all the other things going on. My preference is to watch a bottle show with characters I like, so I don't have to try to keep up with a season long arc.

Some series can do it that way, and others can't.

Take Monk, for example. If you know the premise, you can watch any episode in any order, and it's ok. You don't have to know that last week Adrian had a cold and only got out of bed to save Natalie from a killer to know that in the next episode he would rescue his brother from a poisoned Halloween candy bar.

I prefer to watch episodes of my favorite shows that don't need a setup. I can fill in the blanks myself, and if I was wrong it just makes it that much more fun.
A show cannot revolve around the needs of one or two fans, it has to reach a wide audience and I think today's audience likes shows with ongoing stories.
Actually today's audience likes either shows with ongoing stories or shows with single-episode stories. It's definitely not a case of the former being more popular than the latter since the latter is actually more prevalent on U.S. television. Don't get me wrong, there are indeed very successful shows with ongoing story/soap opera formats, but they are not the only kind of shows that are successful, and they do appeal a wide audience today.
Perhaps, but I would say those are the type of shows getting the most attention and critical praise.

I would say people care more about Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones rather then Law and Order and NCIS. An ongoing story with various twists and turns creates more buzz then an episodic show does.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I grew up on '50s and '60s TV. Occasionally I'd get to go to a movie. With literature, I preferred short stories to novels. Most of my reading these days is non-fiction or reference books. I generally avoided books that were trilogies or multi-volumes interconnected with each other.

With visual entertainment, if I want a novel, I watch a movie. If I want a short story, I watch a television episode. Multi-episode arcs were very confusing for me when I couldn't catch all the episodes in an arc. Now of course, I have plenty of time to watch stuff like that, but I can't afford to spend the money to be able to do it.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:05 AM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Today's TV landscape is extremely dull in my opinion. All these depressive, miserable, failed characters running around, intertwined in overly complicated plots that are contrived to no end. So I don't think I would enjoy a show like that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:26 PM   #19
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Today's TV landscape is extremely dull in my opinion. All these depressive, miserable, failed characters running around, intertwined in overly complicated plots that are contrived to no end. So I don't think I would enjoy a show like that.
Me either. The very concept of Star Trek is not compatable with today's TV.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Me either. The very concept of Star Trek is not compatable with today's TV.
I ask again...

What examples of this do you have exactly?

So your problem with modern is that people aren't Stepford Smilers who shrug trauma off like its nothing and that the show makes you use your brain to keep up?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 08:17 PM   #21
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

A show cannot revolve around the needs of one or two fans, it has to reach a wide audience and I think today's audience likes shows with ongoing stories.
Actually today's audience likes either shows with ongoing stories or shows with single-episode stories. It's definitely not a case of the former being more popular than the latter since the latter is actually more prevalent on U.S. television. Don't get me wrong, there are indeed very successful shows with ongoing story/soap opera formats, but they are not the only kind of shows that are successful, and they do appeal a wide audience today.
Perhaps, but I would say those are the type of shows getting the most attention and critical praise.
Which of course, doesn't really matter as far as ratings go. While critical praise and spotlighting in a few magazines are nice, networks tend to look at how many people are actually watching their shows. In that regard, the serialized format is definitely not the only way to go since episodic shows are still very popular with today's audiences. In fact, there is no indication whatsoever that they've ever stopped being very popular.

I would say people care more about Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones rather then Law and Order and NCIS.
I would say how much people care about a show is equal to how many people tune in to see it each week. In that capacity, you're going have to flip that statement around.
An ongoing story with various twists and turns creates more buzz then an episodic show does.
Don't think for a moment that episodic shows don't have their legions of followers. They may not spend all week on the internet talking/complaining about the latest episode of NCIS, but if 20 million of them tune in each week, they just represent a different kind of following (the less vocal, but larger in numbers kind).

Last edited by C.E. Evans; August 25 2013 at 09:39 PM.
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 11:59 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maybe we shouldn't be looking for Trek that "fits in". In 1966 and 1987 the thing that defined Trek was that it was different from pretty much everything else that was on.
Old August 26 2013, 02:02 AM   #23
The Overlord
Captain

Which of course, doesn't really matter as far as ratings go. While critical praise and spotlighting in a few magazines are nice, networks tend to look at how many people are actually watching their shows. In that regard, the serialized format is definitely not the only way to go since episodic shows are still very popular with today's audiences. In fact, there is no indication whatsoever that they've ever stopped being very popular.

I would say how much people care about a show is equal to how many people tune in to see it each week. In that capacity, you're going have to flip that statement around.
Except NCIS and Law Order are on networks that every one gets, while Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are on cable channels that not everyone gets, of course the ratings are not the same.

Besides what is the likely of Star Trek showing up on network TV rather then cable TV at this point, it seems cable TV is better able to serve niche programming then network programming does and right now sci fi programming is niche.

Plus there have been several times in recent months where cable TV have gotten more ratings then network TV.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/lesso...explosion.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ratings-431948

I really think making a Star trek series that is purely episodic would be a step backwards at this point.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Maybe we shouldn't be looking for Trek that "fits in". In 1966 and 1987 the thing that defined Trek was that it was different from pretty much everything else that was on.
But it should be relevant, not feel like some throw back to a show from the 60s or 80s. Voyager didn't feel very unique because it often felt like a TNG clone and come across as a show that didn't fit with more modern shows in the 90s.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 05:12 AM   #24
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Except NCIS and Law Order are on networks that every one gets, while Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are on cable channels that not everyone gets, of course the ratings are not the same.
It's way more than that. Those shows are just more popular too (they get big ratings in second-run syndication too). You do have a lot of people that simply aren't into serialized shows, they just want to tune into a show without having to keep track of everything that happened since the first episode.
Besides what is the likely of Star Trek showing up on network TV rather then cable TV at this point, it seems cable TV is better able to serve niche programming then network programming does and right now sci fi programming is niche.
The exclusive premium cable is like that, but non-premium cable is increasingly like broadcast television and I believe that any new Trek series will be there in order to get the biggest possible audience rather than a smaller one.
I really think making a Star trek series that is purely episodic would be a step backwards at this point.
That may be your opinion, but it's not one that everyone shares. The Star Trek format is actually ideally suited for the episodic format. That doesn't mean that there can't be story and character arcs along the way, but I doubt we'll see a Trek series where every episode is connected to the one before.
Old August 26 2013, 10:31 AM   #25
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I agree about the complicated plots. Nowadays it has to be convoluted, which often means the plot trips over itself. Whatever happened to simple (i.e. realistic) plots ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 03:46 PM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

Many people say we are living in a golden age of television, with many great TV series on cable, so how would a new Star Trek series fit in with a modern TV landscape?

I think a new Star trek series would need a more ongoing story, deeper characterization and more of an edge then say, Voyager had. It can still be optimistic, but have a balance between light and dark moments. Continuity should also matter and it should have a more reoccurring villain.
So a bit more like DSN.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 09:20 PM   #27
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
That's probably the best description I've heard so far.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:43 AM   #28
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I'm looking at this from my own perspective, the only one I have.

Watching tv is not a priority in our lives. My wife and I work a lot of hours, and keeping up with a series is hard to do. Most of the shows we like are in reruns, because we missed them in first run.

I've spent more time online today than I have in the last month, and that's because I'm at a standstill in other things.

It's hard to follow a serialized show with all the other things going on. My preference is to watch a bottle show with characters I like, so I don't have to try to keep up with a season long arc.

Some series can do it that way, and others can't.

Take Monk, for example. If you know the premise, you can watch any episode in any order, and it's ok. You don't have to know that last week Adrian had a cold and only got out of bed to save Natalie from a killer to know that in the next episode he would rescue his brother from a poisoned Halloween candy bar.

I prefer to watch episodes of my favorite shows that don't need a setup. I can fill in the blanks myself, and if I was wrong it just makes it that much more fun.
A show cannot revolve around the needs of one or two fans, it has to reach a wide audience and I think today's audience likes shows with ongoing stories. Lots of people end up binge watching an entire season of show on Netflix, so I am not sure your situation is typical of the average modern TV watcher.

Lots of the great TV shows out now depend on a ongoing story, stuff like Breaking bad, House of Cards and Game of Thrones wouldn't work without them and those are the type of shows that get buzz, rather then episodic shows. You cannot try to make a Star Trek show as an 60s or 80s show and expect it survive in today's TV market.
Unless you plan on selling the series to Netflix for first run, the Netflix binge watching doesn't matter. All it represents are viewers who don't watch in first run and instead lower the ratings so the show gets canceled sooner.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:47 AM   #29
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

I would say people care more about Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones rather then Law and Order and NCIS. An ongoing story with various twists and turns creates more buzz then an episodic show does.

Critical praise and internet chatter sure, but ratings still favor CSI, ncis, and standalone comedies.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 03:45 AM   #30
bullethead
Fleet Captain

It's possible to do story and character arcs without resorting to Lost-style serialization that makes it impossible for the show to have decent pacing if you watch it on a week to week basis. Just have a complete story (beginning, middle, and end) in the episode, change the status quo at the end, and write future episodes with that changed status quo in mind. I'm not exactly sure what model/example of serialization that would best fit under (Mad Men, I guess), but it worked pretty well in Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

Other than that, all the stuff I mentioned in this article applies too. Also, I'd like a show that managed to not fall into the "competence and pragmatism = evil" trap that most of the TNG-era and Trek Lit stuff seems to. I know Roddenberry wanted Trek to be an optimistic future, but that doesn't mean the good guys in that future act like they've tossed their common sense and critical thinking abilities into a black hole.