CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 28 2013, 10:03 PM   #316
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

While Tom Baker was the most fun (to me at least)--were I a villain--McCoy's incarnation as the Doctor would be the one I'd least like to face. I'd like to think I might get something past Colin, what with the regeneration trouble reaching its height with him early on. I think the Doctor had some trouble with regeneration going all the way back to the spiders on Metabelius...

If all the other previous doctors were asked about who River Soong (in the new post-05' series), they wouldn't know.

But something tells me the Seventh Doctor would know...

Now, in the novel, there was mention about "The Other."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_of_the_Daleks

My only beef was with the Dalek design. The renegade Daleks should have the cream and gold look--from the Necros Daleks that Davros played with in Revelation--with the mainstream Imperial Daleks being grey--all the way back to the Kaleds.

But the Emporer Dalek always looked like that, so...

Now if they ever refresh this episode, Mr Briggs needs to redumb that first Dalek we see. I don't know whose voice that was... I don't think Leeson did that one. I loved the music. That holds up well.

Last edited by publiusr; July 28 2013 at 10:14 PM.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 03:45 AM   #317
diankra
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post
But the Emporer Dalek always looked like that, so...
Nonsense! The proper Emperor would never have been caught out in public without his eyestalk, gun and full coating of Flidor Gold.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 09:45 PM   #318
publiusr
Commodore

That's true. Strange to talk about the appearance of the Daleks when that was what the story was about. I did notice Davros escape pod there at the bottom, and I think they red light on the dark and silver supreme Dalek wasanimated as being too dim. When it says "Advance" before going after the men who moved the Time Lord artifact.

I hadn't noticed that before.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 02:16 AM   #319
DWF
Vice Admiral

The TV movie is next and I've always liked it and I love Pual McGann's Doctor. It's a shame that he only had the movie and only 3/4th's of the movie at that but I thought he did an excellent job as the eighth Doctor.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 12:59 AM   #320
Procutus
Admiral

It's been quite a spell since I've seen the TV movie, so I'm looking forward to taking another look at it, though it will be on the other side of my vacation. Being that this installment was not part of the original BBC run of the show, the commentary should be interesting, I would think.
Old August 26 2013, 01:11 AM   #321
Mr Light
Admiral

So will they doing a single episode pull for Nine and Ten and Eleven as well? I guess they'd do a two parter... Empty Child and Impossible Planet and Time of Angels?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 01:13 AM   #322
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
Being that this installment was not part of the original BBC run of the show, the commentary should be interesting, I would think.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the commentary part. A lot of stuff has probably come out in conventions and so on but i don't think there's been a lot of (semi-?)official stuff with the TV movie.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:56 AM   #323
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

The Eighth Doctor special was just OK. They were limited to the sole on-screen appearance of the Paul McGann Doctor, which is understandable but it's a bit of a bummer when Moffat says McGann had only the one stint. I felt even a one-liner about McGann's ongoing involvement could spark viewers to see out his other non-canon performances (I felt the same way about Six and his rehabilitation via audio plays).

That brings us to the biggest bummer of the special — McGann does not appear in it. I don't know why he's not there, but his absence is deeply felt. I wonder if next month's special about Eccelston will be similar.

Despite the understandable constraint of only one official adventure and McGann's absence, the producers did a decent job of bringing in other actors from the film, including Sylvester McCoy, Daphne Ashbrook and Yee Jee Tso. Eric Roberts wasn't there, but they did a decent job of talking up his performance as the Master.

The perspectives from our normal panel of experts (Steven Moffat and Nicholas Briggs) were relatively interesting, but the actors offered the most insight. Moffat's reactions as a Who fan still seem welcome to me — I liked his assessment of McCoy's Doctor, especially in the prior special and here.

They noted the telemovie helped set some of the foundation for the new series (and even discussed the relatively notorious kiss). While I felt the movie got a little bogged down in the show's mythology, they noted that McGann's Doctor re-established the core elements of the character and liked the regeneration as handing the show from old to new.

On to Nine.

Last edited by RTOlson; September 2 2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Removing repeating redundancies.
RTOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 01:01 PM   #324
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, it is interesting to realize how many aspects of the McGann movie ended up adopted by the new series. The more romantic Doctor, the more retro/spacious console room, the style of the opening titles with the stars' names swooping out of the vortex, the more cinematic and action-oriented style, etc. Even some of the action music, particularly in the freeway sequence and the climax, reminded me of Murray Gold's "I Am the Doctor."

While there are some silly and awkward bits about the movie, it's really very good in a lot of ways. The direction is terrific and very stylish, and McGann made a superb Doctor. And sure, a lot of it was bizarre and arbitrary and random (why exactly is the deadline for Earth's destruction midnight Pacific Time?), but the same is true of RTD's and particularly Moffat's Who. The key is to enjoy the really smart and clever and well-made and well-acted parts amidst the random silliness.

What I've always found impressive about the movie is how faithful it was to the original. It did reinterpret a few things, but it strove very hard to be a real continuation of the lore rather than a reboot, and that was rather amazing from an American revival. They were true to who the Doctor was and how he does things, and they acknowledged so much of the history and lore right down to the Gallifreyan seals in the TARDIS, although they remixed it in some odd ways.

Still, I think the movie made a mistake by steeping itself too heavily in Who lore from the start, and thus confusing new viewers. I've often thought the movie should've started in San Francisco with Chang, and then just had this strange blue box appear and this weird guy step out, maybe have him go through a little more business with Chang before he gets shot just to establish his character, and have Chang and Grace discover gradually, along with the audience, who the Doctor is and what the TARDIS and the Master are. Start with the familiar and ease the audience into the weird, rather than giving this big infodump about the Master and Skaro and regeneration cycles and this big room that has some connection to that weird box spinning through space. It worked for "An Unearthly Child," it worked for "Rose," so it would've worked here. (Although I did like the way the opening sequence used sound design to tie the police-box exterior to the TARDIS interior, having the sound of the music get louder as the TARDIS approached the camera and then cut to the interior with the music continuing. That would've helped get the idea across that the room was inside the police box. But it was still a bit much to dump on the audience right off the bat.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:20 PM   #325
shivkala
Rear Admiral

It certainly is a gem in the rough. It is definitely filled with a lot of network TV movie qualities, but it manages to shine through all that.

The regeneration scene is just wonderful. The juxtaposition of the Doctor's regeneration with the Frankenstein movie was brilliant. I also love how when McGann stumbles into the room with all of the mirrors (seriously, what was that room, with the mirrors and the weird plastic dolls), he stares into 8 mirrors, representing his 8 lives. Then, of course, his "Jesus" moment with his arms outstretched shouting, "Who am I?"

As far as the deadline, the Doctor does have a throwaway line to Grace that it's lacking in context. It becomes just of many things (the biggest being the whole half-human business) that you just shrug off and ignore. The movie does have a ton of those moments, such as the whole "molecular structure" thing that is used to set that danger of the impending crisis, but is not referenced again.

McGann is simply wonderful. He does so much with so little screen time to make you love the Doctor and he does straddle the line between being tied to the old series and being accessible.

I was 17 when this first aired on Fox and I remember thinking that I would be on-board with a series. It certainly didn't grab me in the way that other shows had, but it was enough to cause me to watch "Rose" 9 years later and continues to fan my love for all things Who to this day.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:30 AM   #326
Mr Light
Admiral

My memories of the movie were not warm, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I also remembered McGann being rather uninteresting, but he was alright.

Old September 2 2013, 11:44 PM   #327
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Just getting around to watching this after the holiday weekend. No McGann?!? WTF! He doesn't strike me as the Eccleston type, I wonder why he wasn't in this, disappointing. At least we got the lovely Daphne Ashbrook but still...

And Eric Roberts, he has like 50 credits for the past two years alone on IMDB. Ridiculous, I guess these quick-and-dirty retrospectives aren't as "special" as I'd like.

Christopher wrote: View Post
the style of the opening titles with the stars' names swooping out of the vortex
Yeah, that really stood out this time.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; September 3 2013 at 12:01 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:57 AM   #328
Christopher
Writer

The retrospective was frustrating this time, because every clip they showed was something we'd be seeing again within a couple of hours, so it was all pretty repetitive. It would've been nice if they'd talked more about the behind-the-scenes stuff or the subsequent audios and novels, some of the sort of things that the DVD features on the McGann movie go into. But these specials are just too superficial for that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:28 AM   #329
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The retrospective was frustrating this time, because every clip they showed was something we'd be seeing again within a couple of hours, so it was all pretty repetitive. It would've been nice if they'd talked more about the behind-the-scenes stuff or the subsequent audios and novels, some of the sort of things that the DVD features on the McGann movie go into. But these specials are just too superficial for that.
If Phillip Segal hadd been interview I'm sure you'd heard about the struggle to get the TV movie made, he certainly goes on about it on the DVD.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:49 AM   #330
Mr Light
Admiral

It's particularly annoying if you haven't seen the episode beforehand, because they proceed to spoil the entire story and anything notable in it immediately before you see the damn thing.