Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 23 2013, 01:39 AM   #91
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

There are two B&N stores where I live. One has two of those kiosks, but the other has none. The newer store is the one that does have kiosks, so perhaps it's a more recent* development for B&N.

(* Relatively speaking, at any rate. That second store has been here for six years now.)
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:11 AM   #92
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
Kopernikus wrote: View Post
Here in Germany, when I go into a bookshop and they don't have the title I'm looking for.. ..I ask one of the employees and they simply order it for me and I can usually pick it up within 24 hours.
I called the Barnes & Noble back tonight and asked if I could order a copy of Devil's Bargain for pick-up. I was refused. The employee told me the store computer system did not give her that option. I did not ask, but I assumed it had to do with this feud with Simon & Schuster.

All she could do was order it for home delivery. When I asked when the next copy would be in, she did not know. I was told to call back in a couple days. Useless.
Bookseller fail they can do a ship to store order you pay for it over the phone the distribution center ships it to the store and you come pick it up we did it all the time at the store where I used to work

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
I figured I would just go to Amazon tonight to, I kid you not, buy my first book off the internet. I dissemble a little bit. I've bought CDs and blu-rays off of Amazon before, but never an actual book.

The S&H brought the total to nearly $13, an extra five dollars for a book that I wasn't even really excited for. No thanks.

So I guess I'll just wait and keep calling B&N and reserve it once it actually gets in.
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:59 AM   #93
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

About time because the 3 I go to in my area have been lacking in the releases that came out at the beginning of the year, which I never got my hands on either.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:06 PM   #94
jpv2000
Captain

I no longer have any book stores near me. I really miss going in and seeing what new Trek novels were out.

I now get my novels from Amazon and ebay.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 11:52 PM   #95
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
I no longer have any book stores near me. I really miss going in and seeing what new Trek novels were out.

I now get my novels from Amazon and ebay.

You're not missing much. Of course I'm not in Georgia, but here in Ontario when I went into the bookstore today I almost missed the new Fall book since the shelf space had shrunk from what it was a month ago. (A month ago Coles had had all their Trek book stacked parallel to the shelf, and then crammed all the books in that way in two piles; today it was like three books at the end of one shelf (with the end of the shelf being on the right hand side), another two or three on the left at the beginning of the next lower shelf, with the 5 or 6 copies of R&D facing front cover forward.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 08:59 PM   #96
JD
Admiral

I haven't been to the B&N closest to me in months, but when I did go last I did go last they had maybe a shelf and a half of Trek books at the absolute most. I can't imagine what it must look like now, because every time I've gone there have been less. At this point, if I go back to paper Trek books for some reason I'm going probably going to just order them from Amazon or B&N.com.