MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 25 2013, 10:31 AM   #316
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Has anyone heard anything about a FF/X-Men crossover or is it just a shared universe ?
Old August 25 2013, 02:41 PM   #317
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Has anyone heard anything about a FF/X-Men crossover or is it just a shared universe ?
Millar clarified that there were no specific crossover plans. Any nods to the shared universe would probably be subtle, just passing references or background details.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 05:52 AM   #318
Dream
Admiral

Simon Kinberg to Rewrite Fantastic Four

So a script still hasn't been completed yet. Damn, they better get on that before rights revert...
Old October 2 2013, 08:40 AM   #319
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

No.. no... let the rights revert. Please let the rights revert!
Old October 2 2013, 08:45 AM   #320
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Dream...drafts have been done...Kinberg is doing an overhaul on what has been done before. So that would indicate Fox hasn't been happy with the previous drafts.

Yeah...I'm starting to become concerned about this project. Simon Kinberg would mark the sixth writer attached to the project (including Josh Trank himself who wrote the first draft). This is starting to get into GL territory. As the article states, they were supposed to enter production last month...a couple weeks ago I think...but now...it seems like they've becoming desperate.

If this attempt botches...I wonder what they would do. They were pretty keen on not letting the rights revert, that is why they brought in Trank to direct.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:11 AM   #321
Dream
Admiral

I wonder how much longer this thing will go on. Will we not hear any Fantastic Four news from FOX for several months, then Marvel just happens to announce in an offhand remark that they got back the Fantastic Four film rights two years from now?

Or will FOX just barely make it and get the movie made and released on time? This behind the scenes production news is becoming more interesting than the movie itself!
Old October 2 2013, 09:16 AM   #322
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The thing with "Daredevil" happened because there was a deadline in place that Fox didn't meet. I do not believe that is the case with FF. They can push back the release date if they get the script to where they and Trank want it.

Old October 2 2013, 09:26 AM   #323
Dream
Admiral

I'm assuming all the Marvel character film rights have expiration dates when they revert if a studio doesn't make a movie in time.

Why would the Fantastic Four be exempt from this? It is not much of a deal for Marvel if they sold off the film rights to one of their characters or teams to a studio forever.

As long as we get a good Fantastic Four movie, I don't care if it was made by FOX or Marvel Studios.
Old October 2 2013, 09:31 AM   #324
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I never said the FF film rights were exempt from that rule...I said I wasn't aware of a deadline being in place similar to the one Fox didn't meet with "Daredevil".

Old October 2 2013, 12:39 PM   #325
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

What do you mean by "deadline similar"? Do you agree there's a deadline where a movie has to be made by or do you think the rights were given permanently?
Old October 2 2013, 03:32 PM   #326
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I would think that the time limit on these Fox licenses are the same for each property. Daredevil was released in 2003, and the rights reverted in 2013. The most recent Fantastic Four movie was 2007, so I would think that Fox has until 2017 to get something done. Just my speculation; and 10 years is a nice round number you would expect in a contract.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:00 PM   #327
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

^ I doubt it's as simple as that. Blade, Punisher, and Ghost Rider also reverted back to Marvel within the last year or so, and the last movies in those franchises were in 2004, 2008, and 2011, respectively.
Old October 2 2013, 09:35 PM   #328
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I mean that "Daredevil" had a deadline set as was reported that Fox had to meet before the rights reverted back to Marvel Studios. Remember the so-called trade talks? All that nonsense? Joe Carnahan's last ditch effort to pitch a film. All of that was before the deadline (which I believe was October last year). I'm saying that I don't believe that "Fantastic Four" has such a deadline imposed right now. Or at least if there is one...no one has reported one like with "Daredevil".

Old October 2 2013, 09:44 PM   #329
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I mean that "Daredevil" had a deadline set as was reported that Fox had to meet before the rights reverted back to Marvel Studios. Remember the so-called trade talks? All that nonsense? Joe Carnahan's last ditch effort to pitch a film. All of that was before the deadline (which I believe was October last year). I'm saying that I don't believe that "Fantastic Four" has such a deadline imposed right now. Or at least if there is one...no one has reported one like with "Daredevil".
Yea, I would imagine it has one, it's just not close enough to being missed for it to be bandied about. (IE: No reason to mention it, if things are on target for getting a movie out before it hits, or if it's more than 3 years away)

They likely all have it written into their contract that "If X number of years go by without a movie being made, Rights revert back"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:40 AM   #330
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Also worth considering: in 1994, the Roger Corman F4 movie was made to keep the rights from reverting back to Marvel. After that, 11 years passed before the next F4 movie, and the rights remained with Fox for all that time.

While I'm sure there's a deadline, I don't think the timespan is the same for all Marvel properties at Fox and other studios, and I think it might depend on whether a new movie is in active development.