Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 25 2013, 04:48 AM   #436
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B
27) Love, Actually - A-

Yes, it's a chick flick, but I think knowing that going in and expecting it to be awful helped increase it's grade when it surprised me.

There is real heart in this movie, unlike a lot of American made ones, where you just know that even if they fight, cheat, break-up with each other, they will get back together. Yes there is some of that here, but to even have a storyline like Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson's is groundbreaking, at least in my opinion. Showing that not everything perfect in a movie like this helped it out in my view.

But it also has some great humor. Martin Freeman and Joanna Page having small talk while doubling for sex scenes was perfect humor. And who doesn't love Rowan Atkinson?

Guys, if your girlfriend/wife is bugging you to watch a chick flick, make her throw this one in.
Old August 25 2013, 05:13 AM   #437
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Yes, it's a chick flick
I wouldn't call it that.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 06:36 AM   #438
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've already talked about this film early in the year but Life of Pi was on HBO tonight and I ended up watching most of it. Man what an incredible film this was. Maybe it was light on story, but the visual effects and what they did with the Tiger is nothing short of movie mastery. If I have one regret, it was I didn't see this film in 3D because if there was ever a movie where it was still worth going to the movie theater just for the experience, this movie was it. Avatar may say they were they best visual effects movie of the last several years, but I say Life of Pi was better.

Wasn't there some controversy over the visual effects company who did this movie? I remember something about the visual effects people being pulled off the stage at the Oscars but I wasn't sure if it was for this movie or another one.
Old August 25 2013, 03:59 PM   #439
Lonemagpie
Writer

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Wasn't there some controversy over the visual effects company who did this movie? I remember something about the visual effects people being pulled off the stage at the Oscars but I wasn't sure if it was for this movie or another one.
Life Of Pi? Rhythm & Hues put so much into that they ended up going bankrupt when it was released. At the Oscars - which they won for best visual effects - their boss's microphone was cut off and the band started playing over him when he tried to bring up the company's fate during his acceptance speech.

Director Ang Lee leapt straight to their defence by complaining that the effects cost too much, and thanking everybody except* the visual effects crew at his acceptance speech... Oh, wait.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:33 PM   #440
CaptainCanada
Admiral

57. The Butler (B)

A highly atypical film from director Lee Daniels, at times remarkably restrained (particularly in its central performance), though the enormous timespan covered by the film still leads to a lot of eras being summed up in really on-the-nose ways. The casting of the film is by times highly effective and strange. The whole story really would be better-served by a miniseries, but it's still a decent movie. The makeup used on the actors is superb; some of the best I've seen in recent years.

Cinema: 19 (+1)
Home Video: 34
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
Old August 25 2013, 05:44 PM   #441
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - DVD
Before Sunrise - Encore on Demand
The Way, Way Back - free admission
Turbo 2D - free admission
The Smurfs 2 3D - free admission
The Sitter - HBO on Demand
Mean Girls - Showtime on Demand
Carnage - Starz on Demand
Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Trainspotting - free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - DVD
The Chronicles of Riddick - bluray
The Canyons - free admission
The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Act of Killing - free admission
Flesh Pier - free admission
The Horizon Glitters - free admission
Adjust Your Tracking - free admission
Planes 2D - free admission
2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Kick-Ass 2 - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia- free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission
Clear History - HBO
The Apparition - HBO
Great White Shark 3D - IMAX

My sister & her boys came down to Austin Friday night.

Part of yesterday's fun included a trip to the IMAX theater at the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum. Got there just in time for a documentary about the great white shark population & how its studied, narrated by Bill Nighy.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and my sister did, too, though the oldest nephew felt a bit ill and had to walk out, the younger one was reachin' up at the screen durin' some parts.
Old August 26 2013, 09:50 PM   #442
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Dark Shadows - HBO go on Apple TV - Its a rainy, grey day here and I was looking for something to watch. I found Judge Dredd on Amazon Prime but couldn't stream it through the Apple TV and I didn't want to watch it on my iPhone. So I switched over to HBO go and I was weighing watching either Dark Shadows or The Watch and Dark Shadows won out.

I have to say, I'm glad that I chose Dark Shadows for I really enjoyed it. I know a lot of people were disappointed in the movie and I can see why but for me it just worked. The fish out of water was over done just a bit and there were maybe too many Tim Burtonisms woven throughout out the movie. Still it is a good telling of the Dark Shadows story usually told via a TV soap opera format, covered nicely in a movie. Some how the writers go almost everything into it without it feeling bogged down with too much. Some characters aren't developed enough or go missing for large chunks of time, however that happens when you take something like this and make it a movie. Unlike his performance in Willy Wonka, Johnny Depp really works here as Barnabas Collins.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 03:21 AM   #443
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

71. Pacific Rim: B-
72. Alone in the Dark: D
73. Apocalypto: A
74. Stargate: Ark of Truth: A-
75. Stargate: Continuum: A

The two tele-films that wrap up the Stargate SG-1 television series.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:23 AM   #444
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B
27) Love, Actually - A-
28) Kickass 2 - C+

It was nice to see the characters again, but this movie was just painful to sit through. McLovin is just irritating to listen to and it just seems to go for the racist joke to be edgy.

I also sat through the entire thing being irritated with Jim Carrey, unable to separate his asinine comments about violence and this movie. Meanwhile, his character clubs people with a baseball bat and sicks his dog on a guy's penis. He didn't have even an inkling what he was getting into? And so much for his message when half the theatre I was in was under 18, some of which coming with their parents.

The only reason this wasn't a D was because it was cheap night.
Old August 28 2013, 03:18 AM   #445
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Favorite new movies seen in 2013:

1) Before Midnight
2) Leviathan
3) The World's End
4) Blue Jasmine

Other good films:

Iron Man 3
Something In The Air
Frances Ha

Other decent films:

Star Trek Into Darkness
The Place Beyond The Pines

Best old film I've seen for the first time this year is The Human Condition, easy.

The ones I'm looking forward to most this year are Ender's Game, Gravity and Nymphomaniac.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 08:18 PM   #446
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - DVD
Before Sunrise - Encore on Demand
The Way, Way Back - free admission
Turbo 2D - free admission
The Smurfs 2 3D - free admission
The Sitter - HBO on Demand
Mean Girls - Showtime on Demand
Carnage - Starz on Demand
Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Trainspotting - free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - DVD
The Chronicles of Riddick - bluray
The Canyons - free admission
The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Act of Killing - free admission
Flesh Pier - free admission
The Horizon Glitters - free admission
Adjust Your Tracking - free admission
Planes 2D - free admission
2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Kick-Ass 2 - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia- free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission
Clear History - HBO
The Apparition - HBO
Great White Shark 3D - IMAX
Somewhere in Time - Netflix Instant
A Haunted House - Netflix Instant
Our Idiot Brother - Netflix Instant
Dark Tide - Netflix Instant
The First Wives Club - Netflix Instant
The African Queen - Netflix Instant

Been watchin' Netflix the last few days...

First up, SiT, an old Christopher Reeve film about a guy in 1979 who thinks his way back in time to meet an actress in 1914. Christopher Plummer had an interestin' supportin' role. And apparently its the first film for both George Wendt & William H. Macy.

AHH was a dumb horror parody in the same vein as the Scary Movie franchise, without even one good joke in the whole film.

OIB wasn't much better. A couple of jokes were okay, but I got about tired of that subplot about the stoner's dog named Willie Nelson.

DT was next on the list of stuff to watch. The only good thing it has goin' for it is Halle Berry in a wet suit. 'cause, ya know, damn.

Watched TFWC this mornin'. It was alright, not great, though.

And I've got TAQ playin' now. So far, so good...
Old August 29 2013, 08:21 PM   #447
CaptainCanada
Admiral

58. Spring Breakers (B-)

Harmony Korine's "experiment in not repulsing audiences", as the AV Club put it, is a reasonably amusing parody of modern hedonism and amorality. It drew headlines for involving former Disney stars like Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens, but they at least picked an artistically interesting (if not entirely successful) vehicle for trying to 'act out' (compare it to the recent Miley Cyrus performance at the VMAs).

59. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (A-)

Speaking of misuse of Disney property.

It's amazing that this film ever got made, and I somehow suspect that Zemeckis would never succeed in wrangling the rights loose today to include all the Disney and WB characters. The film is a marvel, technically, even if it does look a bit dated now. Hoskins does a great job, particularly given that he's essentially pioneering green-screen acting well before it became common in Hollywood.

Cinema: 20 (+1)
Home Video: 35 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old August 29 2013, 10:10 PM   #448
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Dredd - Amazon Prime on my iPad - First, they really need a Amazon Prime app for the Apple TV, like the HBO go app. Second, this maybe the best movie I have seen this year. While I wouldn't call Dredd a great movie, it is pretty darn close. While very violent and a bit gory, its done in a style not to over romanticize it. Karl Urban did an excellent job as Dredd, way better then Stallone. I didn't cringe at all when Urban said, "I am the law." Watching this after announcing Affleck as Batman, how did Karl Urban not get considered for the roll. After seeing this, he would make a great Batman and Bruce Wayne. This is one of those movies that you see at home and wish that you saw in the movie theater. I really do hope that they make a sequel and expand the scope a little bit.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - Amazon Prime on my iPad - I like Tom Cruise as an actor. As much as I liked Mission Impossible 3, this one is way better. Finally a threat that doesn't come from within IMF. Yes the bad guy was a bit generic and under developed but this one had the best use of team. I enjoyed it, cant wait to see the next one.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:22 PM   #449
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

72. Alone in the Dark: D
73. Apocalypto: A
74. Stargate: Ark of Truth: A-
75. Stargate: Continuum: A
76. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: B-

This film, that apparently not many are seeing, is another forray by a studio in an attempt to reclone Potter, Narnia or Twilight. Narnia petered out and other attempts like Percy Jackson look to also go that route.

The story mixes a wide range of mythology. The protagonist is descended from a line of Shadowhunters, who seemingly hunt demons. Why not demon hunters? It's just one of things glossed over in the narrative which makes it for a frustratingly but semi-enjoyable movie experience. Shadowhunters were created by one of the Host Angels after he created a cup and had selected humanity drink from it in order to have the strength and power necessary to fight the demons let loose on the land. The cup is held sacred but one of their own steals it in order to purify the Order. How he's able to corrupt the power of the cup isn't explained that I recall, which is another moment of huh, in the film for me. If it was someone help me out. Another is we are told Shadowhunters are a dying breed....so make more, you've had the cup for centuries, it only recently in the last 20yrs went missing.

The bulk of the movie is spent safe guarding Lilly Collins character Clary. She's just coming into her power but watching her being dragged through 4/5ths of the film as "dead weight", which one character points out, was a bit of drag.

I realize it's tough to have an original idea in a genre like this, it's the execution that's important. The book my sell it well, however I felt the film gave us lots of narrative points with too many elements glossed over and not fully explained. The film seemingly borrows themes you know from elsewhere from Star Wars, Stargate, Twilight and basic horror elements. I will say it's bullshit that zombies are the one thing that "don't really exist". Maybe that's commentary by the author or screenplay on what is deemed currently hot?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:14 PM   #450
CaptainCanada
Admiral

60. 20 Feet from Stardom (A)

Morgan Neville's popular documentary about backup singers (largely black female ones) and how they changed music from the 1960s to the 1980s is a really fascinating story. For starters, you learn the range of songs that people like Darlene Love participated on; or Merry Clayton, the female voice on the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter". A number of major musicians, such as Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, and Mick Jagger put in appearances -- Jagger, in particular, discusses his work with a number of the women featured in the documentary. It touches on topics as diverse as the civil rights movement (and how Love felt about singing on "Sweet Home Alabama", for instance, a song whose politics she found highly disagreeable), and the difficulty of transitioning from being a backup singer to a star, which is as much psychological as anything else. Though it can't help when people like Phil Spector appear to be actively working to screw you over.

Cinema: 21 (+1)
Home Video: 35

- Homer Simpson