Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 25 2013, 02:30 AM   #31
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Old Star Trek TOS DVD's

Does anyone know if they created the remastered episodes from the original 35mm? or from the DVDs produced in 1999 or 2004?
I'm thinking that both the 1999 and 2004 versions have pieces cut out to fit in an hour broadcast but I don't really know. I would like to get the most complete version of TOS that I can.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 02:46 AM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

Nearest I can tell the versions I have on DVD don't have any scenes missing.
Old August 25 2013, 02:59 AM   #33
HaplessCrewman
Commander

Blu-ray disc prices have dropped a lot the past few years.

For me, $34.00 for the first season of TOS in HD is totally worth it. C'mon - it's like a dollar an episode - and it's the best of Star Trek has ever been.
Old August 25 2013, 03:06 AM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post

For me, $34.00 for the first season of TOS in HD is totally worth it. C'mon - it's like a dollar an episode - and it's the best of Star Trek has ever been.
And it's still money spent for little gain when I can spend it elsewhere for greater gain, like maybe getting something I don't already have.

Then again I can just not spend anything---a wise option presently since I'm between jobs and in no hurry to burn through my savings until I have a regular income again.
Old August 25 2013, 03:16 AM   #35
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post

And it's still money spent for little gain when I can spend it elsewhere for greater gain, like maybe getting something I don't already have.

Then again I can just not spend anything---a wise option presently since I'm between jobs and in no hurry to burn through my savings until I have a regular income again.
1. Good job being rational instead of just buying the new thing b/c it is the new thing. We really should weigh our purchases for utility more. (Not a slam to you Blu folks - if you are truly happier as you watch your Trek now, good for you.)

2.Sorry to hear about the straightened circumstances, Warped. I am beaming you positive wishes and regards for what it's worth.
Old August 25 2013, 03:46 AM   #36
Mr_Homn
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
If you're a TOS purist as I am, this should be a no-brainer -- presenting TOS (again with all the original FX) as close to the quality of the 35mm film as possible, what the show really looks like but which TV was never before able to reveal. I don't care for most of the new FX, but 1) the new FX have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the remaster, and 2) I don't have to watch the episodes with the new FX.
Yeah, that's how I watch them too. And I agree that it is, in your words, absolutely stunning. When I watch the show in high definition it's like a great movie-going experience. The grain, the clarity, the rich colors, the crystal clear audio (always original mono audio track of course), it reminds me of going to the movies. But it's not some dumb movie. Instead, it's the best tv show of all time! Greatness.

When I watch it in standard definition it always feels like I'm missing out now. I guess this is how drug addicts feel when they go from low grade drugs to high grade drugs. It's the same drug, but it's so much more intense. Lol, a sick analogy, but it's true.

I also think the old effects hold up quite well in high definition and barely ever switch to the crappy CGI.

nice comparison pics:

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...-Trekpulse.jpg DVD

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...rrorhd0083.jpg Blu Ray

If you can't tell the difference in clarity, try blowing up the DVD picture to the same size as the Blu Ray Picture. Look at how much blurrier the DVD picture is. It's night and day. Notice the superior color timing. It's not as faded, the colors are richer. Of course the quality difference is even more noticeable in motion. The audio quality is also better.

Of course not everyone cares about these sorts of improvements. Nothing wrong with that. But it's a god send for those who appreciate the higher image and sound quality.

Last edited by Mr_Homn; August 25 2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: comparison pics
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 04:30 AM   #37
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Well it does seem to create significantly larger screenshots. I suppose with the proper screen, it would be a lot like seeing a film in a theater. But do you really want to notice every imperfection or detail in the sets, clothing, makeup, and possible booger in the nostril that was never meant to be seen?
Old August 25 2013, 05:08 AM   #38
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Well it does seem to create significantly larger screenshots. I suppose with the proper screen, it would be a lot like seeing a film in a theater. But do you really want to notice every imperfection or detail in the sets, clothing, makeup, and possible booger in the nostril that was never meant to be seen?
A. The screenshots are larger to you when you view them up close on a PC. From a normal seating distance on an HDTV the episodes look great.

B. In addition to the above, it's a rather silly thought to say suddenly in HD you see everything you weren't supposed to. TOS was not such a cheap production that you ever saw tons of errors and makeup lines, etc. Further, remember this was shot and edited on 35mm film, the production staff and editors all saw TOS in pristine condition at one point in the '60s, which would have looked much like the Blu-ray versions, and it got their approval.

C. So what if you see the occasional latex appliance seam? We all know they are there, it was a TV show on a tight budget in the '60s. It doesn't detract from the generally amazing detail and rich color palette that's been there on the 35mm film this whole time, that a proper 1080p restoration has now made it available to home users.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:13 AM   #39
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

No argument, it looks slightly better. But again, it would not make me a happier human to watch it in blu. The dvd's I have are SO much better than the VHS's I used to have, they look great to me. This reminds me of research I saw video of, re. happiness. You give babies a mobile with three items, they like it. Give them five items, they like that too. Now step them back down to three and see what happens. I'm happy with my three-item mobile. It is WAY better than the one-item (b&w UHF) I grew up on. (Which made me happy at the time, by the way.)
Old August 25 2013, 05:20 AM   #40
SpHeRe31459
Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
No argument, it looks slightly better. But again, it would not make me a happier human to watch it in blu. The dvd's I have are SO much better than the VHS's I used to have, they look great to me. This reminds me of research I saw video of, re. happiness. You give babies a mobile with three items, they like it. Give them five items, they like that too. Now step them back down to three and see what happens. I'm happy with my three-item mobile. It is WAY better than the one-item (b&w UHF) I grew up on. (Which made me happy at the time, by the way.)
I guess what I don't understand in all of this "DVDs are good enough" stuff is why wouldn't you want the best presentation you can get (the closest we're going to get for the foreseeable future to having your own pristine 35mm copy of each episode)?

I've owned TOS on VHS and DVD too, and watched plenty of syndicated repeats on TVs new and old. Including a little B&W TV in my grandparents basement. All of which made me happy at the time too.

As I said, the clarity, color, and contrast of the Blu-ray release is unparalleled, so I've never looked back.
Old August 25 2013, 05:28 AM   #41
Push The Button
Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
It is WAY better than the one-item (b&w UHF) I grew up on. (Which made me happy at the time, by the way.)
Grainy b&w UHF for me. It was always a treat to watch Trek at my grandmother's house on her TV, where the picture was less grainy, and in color, too.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:32 AM   #42
J.T.B.
Commodore

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I guess what I don't understand in all of this "DVDs are good enough" stuff is why wouldn't you want the best presentation you can get (the closest we're going to get for the foreseeable future to having your own pristine 35mm copy of each episode)?
It's a question of personal cost/benefit. It's better, but is it x-number of dollars better? That's going to vary depending on the individual.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:46 AM   #43
SpHeRe31459
Captain

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
It's a question of personal cost/benefit. It's better, but is it x-number of dollars better? That's going to vary depending on the individual.
Well that part I certainly get. What I don't get is this outright pooh-poohing of the Blu-ray sets.
Old August 25 2013, 05:51 AM   #44
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Nearest I can tell the versions I have on DVD don't have any scenes missing.
As someone noted earlier, there is a 10-second scene missing from the double-episode DVD with "The Tholian Web". (After McCoy releases Uhura from Sickbay he speaks to Chapel over the intercom about a Thuragan derivative). The omission was corrected for the season sets on DVD.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 05:57 AM   #45
Warped9
Admiral

Not everyone immediately jumps onto the "gotta have the latest thing 'cause it's SOOO much better" wagon. As has been stated above I, too, first watched TOS on grainy b&w then colour (with grain) then VHS and then remastered onto DVD in the clamshell sets. I bought my Blu-Ray player about a year and some ago, but did not see the need to immediately buy TOS on BD because there were other things of priority. I have since bought films on BD, but not in replacement of anything I already have.

The gain in resolution ans sound isn't sufficiently great to justify the expense of buying something I already own and am satisfied with. The improvement of DVD over VHS was startling. It is not as startling going from DVD to BD.