RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 441
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 23 2013, 09:23 PM   #271
KaraBear
Captain

Re: common misconceptions about Voyager

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Perhaps it was a way to seperate them from the films/DSN so as to not confuse the casual viewer.
I think that's exactly it from our perspective

but from the Voyager perspective, maybe getting the new uniforms wouls be a morale boost, a way to feel like they're still connected to the AQ
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 01:05 AM   #272
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

I always thought it was odd they didn't switch over either --- I mean by the time "Message in a Bottle" (S04E14) happened, Voyager knew there were new uniforms.

I think it would have been great for morale to introduce new uniforms and make them feel more like they are still part of Star Fleet --- IE have a stronger connection with home.

That always confused me why they didn't build things around that idea.
Old August 25 2013, 01:50 AM   #273
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Janeway got her ass looking juuuuuuuuuuust right, and damn it to hell if she had to start all over again from the beginning.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:40 PM   #274
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

It's a misconception that there wasn't any continuity or serialization on Voyager; there was actually a great deal of both.

Another misconception is that Tuvok was demoted because of his actions in Prime Factors. The Lt. Cmdr pips on his collar were a costuming error and nothing more.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:53 PM   #275
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Real world costume errors don't exist inside story continuity.

Tuvok was not demoted, he got an official reprimand in his file, which is all the script said.

Here's my inside story explanation for the outside continuity costume malfunction.

Tuvok was having an affair with another lad, and they kept wearing each others uniforms by mistake.

Discontinuity is a sort of continuity, I suppose.

Old September 30 2013, 09:57 PM   #276
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Every Star Trek series has had issues with 'real-world' continuity in one fashion or another. In terms of in-universe continuity, though, Voyager actually does stay very consistent and things are carried over and recalled/referenced from time to time, which is why the idea that the show doesn't have continuity is a misconception.

Old September 30 2013, 10:03 PM   #277
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So you refute Ron Moore's claim that Voyager's Writers Room has orders to ignore continuity because it's dangerous to tax or confuse their target audiences intellect?

Old September 30 2013, 10:08 PM   #278
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Yes, because the show itself does/did.

Old September 30 2013, 10:29 PM   #279
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

(With the except of two parters, and the triptych where Paris is trying to join the Kazon.) almost any episode before Scorpion can be aired in any order, any episode between Scorpion and Extreme Risk can be aired in any order with perhaps the exception of Day of Honour and Revulsion... This is odd, Berman squashed Nemesis inbetween Day of Honour and Revulsion, which is the set of episodes where Tom and B'Elanna hooked up... But from Revulsion to Endgame, except for the two parters, the only other blip that wasn't effected by the reset button was Astrometrics, so apart from hair cuts and weight you could air or watch the last three seasons in any order and it would still make perfect sense.

Ending credits, reset button every week.

Voyager was designed for the casual viewer.

70 credited writers for 170 episodes.

Just to figure out how you think, what's a show with terrible continuity look like?

Old September 30 2013, 10:35 PM   #280
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ You're confusing the 'serialized procedural' format - which Voyager very much follows - with a lack of continuity.

Voyager's serialization and continuity is manifested through character development and progression and call-backs/references to earlier stories and/or story arcs.

Old September 30 2013, 10:41 PM   #281
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Don't be so tunnel visioned.

They can't reference earlier episodes if the producers refuse to admit that earlier episodes exist.

Old September 30 2013, 10:58 PM   #282
MacLeod
Admiral

There is more to serilisation and continuity than mere character development. And some characters had more development than others. I think O'Brien as a recurring character on TNG had more development than some of the VOY main.

If you state in dialouge things like

"We Only have 38 torpedeos and no way to replace them"
"The holdocek power system is incompatable with the rest of the ship"

And then totally ignore it later than you have a failure of continuity unless you say in dialouge how you managed to overcome that problem or at very least show visually

If your character is we must uphold the PD one week, and screw it the following and back to we must uphold it the next then you have poor characterisation. Pick one and run with it. Some might not like which one you pick but be consistant or at least show a change in view over time.

If you say several times you are resource limited yet seemingly have endless supplies don't blame the audiance for critising you for you lack of continuity. If you managed to allievate it show or tell us how.

It's writing 101.

That isn't to say there was a total lack of continuity just that there should have been far more. The premise clearly indicated a more serialised show than the more episodic show we got.

We should have gotten to know more of the crew given that they were only 140, no wait 142, no wait 149 or was it 141 crew members. They couldn't even keep track of how many crew the ship had as it seemed to fluctate from one episode to the next whenever it was mentioned espite no replacement and/or deaths. That should never happen.

Did VOY have some great episode yes of course it did, and Robert Picardo as the EMH was one of the best things about the show.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:26 AM   #283
Yanks
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Well, when the founding premise of the show is a divided crew forced to work together, yes... I expect some conflict and drama. Instead we just have the Maquis virtually completely assimilated into Starfleet by the second season. If I wanted a show where everyone got along and was happy go lucky as they explored the galaxy, I'd put in a TNG DVD.
The Maquis' beef wasn't with Star Fleet, it was with the Federation.
Old October 1 2013, 01:28 AM   #284
Yanks
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
You know Janeway murdered Tuvix.

Go ahead and reply to older posts or just start posting what is on your mind in relation to what you were enjoying. People will respond.
Don't agree here teacake.

She had no choice but to serve both Tuvok and Neelix.

They were joined by a fluke of science/nature.

She would be neglecting 2 of her crew members and her closest friend by allowing Tuvix to exist.

Tuvix even knew this.
Old October 1 2013, 01:31 AM   #285
Yanks
Fleet Captain

KaraBear wrote: View Post
teya wrote: View Post
Misconception: Jeri Ryan took over the starring role from Kate Mulgrew and got more screen time than Kate during the last 4 years of the show.

Evil bitch that she is.

Except that... it's not true. Count the scenes, count the lines. Kate still has the most.
That's a good one. I came across a site once that broke down the lines by character for each episode and then totalled them by season. Kate always had the most, and Beltran was usually second
http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/LineCountS4-S7.htm