Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2013, 03:34 PM   #826
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Emh wrote: View Post
I think Cranston would make a very good Lex Luthor. Plus, he's worked with Affleck before (Argo), so hopefully that'll assure the slightly-better-acting Affleck will show up for this film (considering Affleck was fairly good in that film).
This is well and truly reading the tea leaves.

billcosby wrote: View Post
Given what's happened this summer with Depp's Tonto, it appears movie audiences are no longer content to actually see a film before deciding if it was a piece of shit or not. And that's a shame.
So they should buy expensive tickets to loooong films no matter how bad the reviews are and how uninterested they are in the basic material?
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:13 PM   #827
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote:
I'd read rumors that train loads of money were being prepared for Sir Bale to appear for twenty minutes of the film and that didn't smell right.
Has this ever been confirmed by Bale's reps anywhere? Because it sounds like the usual fanboy wishful thinking.
It came from some guy who wrote an ebook: http://www.businessinsider.com/chris...-batman-2013-8 so it was total bullshit.
Old August 24 2013, 05:53 PM   #828
Dream
Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote:
I'd read rumors that train loads of money were being prepared for Sir Bale to appear for twenty minutes of the film and that didn't smell right.
Has this ever been confirmed by Bale's reps anywhere? Because it sounds like the usual fanboy wishful thinking.
It came from some guy who wrote an ebook: http://www.businessinsider.com/chris...-batman-2013-8 so it was total bullshit.
It was a rumor. Bale's time as Batman is over.
Old August 24 2013, 06:07 PM   #829
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Let's all not forget that this is Man of Steel 2. It's Cavill's movie. Affleck will be in a supporting role. They likely won't share equal billing until Justice League.
Old August 24 2013, 06:14 PM   #830
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Its not called Man of Steel 2. The logo has both symbol.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 06:24 PM   #831
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Let's all not forget that this is Man of Steel 2. It's Cavill's movie. Affleck will be in a supporting role. They likely won't share equal billing until Justice League.
I would definitely love for that to be the case, but everything said at Comic Con strongly suggests that this is going to be more of a "Versus" movie than a MOS sequel.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 06:27 PM   #832
billcosby
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
Given what's happened this summer with Depp's Tonto, it appears movie audiences are no longer content to actually see a film before deciding if it was a piece of shit or not. And that's a shame.
So they should buy expensive tickets to loooong films no matter how bad the reviews are and how uninterested they are in the basic material?
Of course not.

My distaste is with those who 'review' films without actually seeing them. There's a big difference between saying a movie 'was shit' or 'looks like shit.' I routinely point this out when someone is lambasting a film, only to find out that they actually only saw the first half hour of it.... I'd rather have a complete opinion than one built on speculation and projection.

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
Its not called Man of Steel 2. The logo has both symbol.
Yes, this surprised me... it means Bats will be enjoying lots of screen time.
It's also worth mentioning that it's "vs" and not "and," on IMDB and Wikipedia, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by billcosby; August 24 2013 at 06:44 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 06:40 PM   #833
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Two things: the logo was whipped up for Comic Con, and the movie doesn't even have an official name yet. No "and" or "vs". Plus factor in the presence of Lois Lane, Perry White, Martha Kent, and most likely Lex Luthor. It's Man of Steel 2, if not in title then in purpose.
Old August 24 2013, 06:44 PM   #834
davejames
Vice Admiral

Interesting article on the casting:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...aid-yes-613658

I have to admit, just the fact Affleck is a big comic book fan-- and is willing to take a risk like this even after years of working very hard to restore his reputation and become a serious and respected director-- kinda makes me want to root for him in the role even more.
Old August 24 2013, 06:55 PM   #835
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Cranston is great actor, but Luthor at least in this version needs to be closer to Clark's age so they it could have weight to their rivalry. They have to be equal in age, which is why Corey Stoll is the best choice for this part IMO.

But man if this film is gonna work you have to get rid of Goyer and Snyder and get like an Alfonso Cauron as well as get a comic writer like Mark Waid to write the screenplay. That's a winning combination! Nothing against Goyer and Snyder, but we need fresh creative blood. I mean, Goyer is rebooting a character he's even worked on for three whole films. With Goyer I really feel he should only be rendered to just crafting the story and let more talented screenwriters execute them.
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:17 PM   #836
Christopher
Writer

Dr.H wrote: View Post
Cranston is great actor, but Luthor at least in this version needs to be closer to Clark's age so they it could have weight to their rivalry. They have to be equal in age, which is why Corey Stoll is the best choice for this part IMO.
Why do they "have to be" anything? There's no single correct way to approach Superman or Lex Luthor. Sure, if you want to do the particular version of the story where they were childhood friends in Smallville, then it makes sense for them to be close in age -- though it's worth noting that Smallville's Lex was portrayed as about 7 years older than Clark. But there have been a number of successful versions of Superman in which Lex has already been an older, established businessman (or supercriminal, in earlier versions) at the time Clark begins his career as Superman -- for instance, the post-Crisis comics continuity and Superman: The Animated Series.

Besides, we've already seen a Lexcorp logo on some trucks in Man of Steel, which seems to confirm that they are indeed going that route. So casting an older actor as Lex is necessary to be consistent with what they've already done (unless they wanted to copy Smallville and use Lionel Luthor, which is unlikely).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:23 PM   #837
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

If Corey Stoll played Lex, then it would make watching House of Cards - where he plays a politician being pushed around by Kevin Spacey's chief whip - interesting. Lex v Lex!
Old August 24 2013, 07:24 PM   #838
Aldo
Admiral

Perhaps Affleck will get one of those credits that pops up last but says something like "And also starring Ben Affleck as Batman."
Old August 24 2013, 07:30 PM   #839
Christopher
Writer

^Given movie credit styles, it'd more likely just be "And Ben Affleck." And then in the full cast list in the end titles it would say "Ben Affleck.....Bruce Wayne/Batman." Or maybe just "Bruce Wayne," given that Cavill's onscreen billing in MoS was "Clark Kent/Kal-El." (Bale was credited as "Bruce Wayne/Batman" in Batman Begins, but solely as "Bruce Wayne" in the other two films.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:36 PM   #840
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dr.H wrote: View Post
But man if this film is gonna work you have to get rid of Goyer and Snyder and get like an Alfonso Cauron as well as get a comic writer like Mark Waid to write the screenplay. That's a winning combination! Nothing against Goyer and Snyder, but we need fresh creative blood. I mean, Goyer is rebooting a character he's even worked on for three whole films. With Goyer I really feel he should only be rendered to just crafting the story and let more talented screenwriters execute them.
I have no problem with Snyder or Goyer, but I DO wish Nolan was still involved as a producer. Even if he only had a peripheral role on the first movie, you could still really feel his mature, steadying influence on both Snyder and the storytelling.

Hopefully Snyder can maintain that same style on his own, and won't feel tempted to return to his old ways. I'd hate to have another situation like the TF movies, where the first one was full of that great Spielberg style and magic (and had a story you could follow), and the sequels were nothing but a couple of typical, mindless Michael Bay action-fests.