Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Revelation and Dust.
Outstanding 29 25.44%
Above Average 45 39.47%
Average 26 22.81%
Below Average 8 7.02%
Poor 6 5.26%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 24 2013, 11:49 AM   #16
PKS8304
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Heading on vacation but my local B and N has my copy reserved for me to pick up Tuesday when I get home. Can't wait!
Old August 24 2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Mage wrote: View Post
Because the characters went through 5 years in between Soul Key and the TP pact novels.
Four years, actually. I think this misconception exists because Rough Beasts of Empire spans about a year and the rest of the books in the first TP miniseries take place toward the end of that year. So yeah, there are about five years between The Soul Key and, say, Zero Sum Game or Paths of Disharmony, but only four between TSK and the start of Rough Beasts of Empire, which is where we pick up the story of Sisko and the other DS9 characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Mage
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Because the characters went through 5 years in between Soul Key and the TP pact novels.
Four years, actually. I think this misconception exists because Rough Beasts of Empire spans about a year and the rest of the books in the first TP miniseries take place toward the end of that year. So yeah, there are about five years between The Soul Key and, say, Zero Sum Game or Paths of Disharmony, but only four between TSK and the start of Rough Beasts of Empire, which is where we pick up the story of Sisko and the other DS9 characters.
True enough, but the point remains the same. I've been through quite some stuff in the last 4-5 years, and am no longer the same person. So again, I fail to see why some people feel characters should remain the same. It's called 'character DEVELOPMENT' for a reason.
Old August 24 2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

^I don't think they object to the changes happening, they were just caught off-guard to see the end result without having been shown how they got there. One of the objections that used to be raised about Star Trek: The Motion Picture for a long time was that the characters were out of character, not the people we knew. Which always seemed odd to me, because that was the point of the movie -- that the characters had moved on in their lives and gone through changes that weren't necessarily for the better, and needed to come back together and gradually recover the rapport they'd once shared. But a lot of people were just thrown by seeing the characters suddenly acting so differently than they had before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Mage
Commodore

^I don't think they object to the changes happening, they were just caught off-guard to see the end result without having been shown how they got there. One of the objections that used to be raised about Star Trek: The Motion Picture for a long time was that the characters were out of character, not the people we knew. Which always seemed odd to me, because that was the point of the movie -- that the characters had moved on in their lives and gone through changes that weren't necessarily for the better, and needed to come back together and gradually recover the rapport they'd once shared. But a lot of people were just thrown by seeing the characters suddenly acting so differently than they had before.
I can understand that, that's it weird or unsettling to experience something like that. I just hope people can understand that if there's an uncle or cousin you haven't seen in years, it's not that weird for them to have changed. I hope they can accept the same is true for these characters.
Old August 24 2013, 04:51 PM   #21
jpv2000
Captain

All very true. I really enjoyed TMP from the beginning. Both the movie and the novel. The only thing I did not like was the uniforms in that movie.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 08:55 PM   #22
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Just picked up my copy at Coles.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 09:57 PM   #23
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

This is exactly what I meant.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 10:44 PM   #24
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I wonder if we will get DS9-branded novels next year?

I wonder if Simon & Schuster are just planning to leave the DS9 brand for future books that are set just within the TV series, while the current post-TV series books will be released under umbrella titles. Since it looks like, aside from TOS, Voyager and Enterprise (which, with Christopher's new book really can't be called Enterprise because of something MIA), the recent TNG and DS9 novels seem to have been marketed under these "umbrella" titles due to better sales than when the series name is used.

Plus it seems like the editor's enjoy teaming Picard and Dax up right now in the books, rather than having Dax team up with the current DS9 group. So, as a series title, DS9 is kind of a non sequitur when the DS9 crew is so spread out and rarely appears together.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 07:59 AM   #25
Mage
Commodore

About 80-90 pages in. Really digging it sofar, but you can tell the story is still gathering momentum. Curious to see where all of this is going.
Old August 25 2013, 02:28 PM   #26
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Finished the whole thing.

Still digesting it, and waiting for a few others to catch up before I comment.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Mage
Commodore

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Finished the whole thing.

Still digesting it, and waiting for a few others to catch up before I comment.
I voted outstanding.

I know what you mean though. It takes a while to catch momentum, then things just get......WTF.....for a while. Then, things settle. Then....BOOM!!! Three pages later.....BOOM!!!! And the book is done.

I'll post more when I, like DEWLine, process everything.

I need to catch my breath.
Old August 25 2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Mimi
Lieutenant Commander

It certainly sounds interesting so far! Can't wait until the ebook is released.
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 09:14 PM   #29
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

In the prologue anyone notice a mistake? Like the name of Sisko's ship?
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer

Last edited by Shane Houston; August 25 2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: ETA
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 09:41 AM   #30
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

I just finished it tonight. I thought it was enjoyable. The first thing that comes to mind about the key development is:

Last edited by RTOlson; August 27 2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Adding detail.
RTOlson is offline   Reply With Quote