Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 20 2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Re: I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

Love Twin Peaks. It's actually my favorite show after TOS. You are actually in what I consider the strongest period in the show, from the season 2 opener to the end of the Palmer story is excellent television.

Everyone is right about the rough patch. Stick with it though. The last episode is one of the best in the series, and the preceding couple aren't that bad either. There is a run of maybe 7-9 episodes that are VERY weak, especially the first time you see them and don't know what to expect. I like some bits here and there in those episodes (mostly little comic things) but it is tough to get through at times.

I like the movie, but it is full Lynch and much darker than the series. It's missing a lot of the humor and most of the cast. I do think it's important to the larger story though, and if you really like the show it's worth a watch. For those who have seen it, I especially like the opening prologue and the ending.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:18 AM   #17
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Season 2 opener has that bit in the hospital where Big Ed recounts the day he shot Nadine's eye out ... The way Ferrer's character is struggling against losing it, tearing up, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. I practically start laughing again just typing this.

Between that and his 'moment' with Truman, Ferrer's Albert is probably my favorite character of that whole era.

One adjunct to the series that has not been brought up yet is the MY LIFE MY TAPES book, which is excerpts from Cooper's tape recordings, dating back to his youth. You DO NOT want to read this before you get through the whole series, but man, there is a LOT of food for thought about the nature of evil and how it manifests in man.

Funny as hell a times, too, especially the drawings Cooper makes of himself after being up for 48 hrs straight.

I have probably read this little book more than a dozen times, much more fun that the ultra-serious meta-textual ones that came years later.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 10:37 PM   #18
publiusr
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post

The movie is really pure Lynch, as opposed to Lynch/Frost like the series, and while I find the movie very powerful and impressive in its own way, it doesn't feel like TP at all.
I might have had everything end a la Dante's Peak, it all being set in the Cascades. Mammoth Mountain has its own unusual traits
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs172-96/
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Aldo
Admiral

Well I finally wrapped up the Laura Palmer storyline...or at least discovered who killed her. For all I know there are still a few episodes dealing with that aftermath.

I'm also interested to hear that this was the shows biggest strength and also it's downfall. Seems people tuned out once it was revealed who killer her? As if that was what all the show was about.

Anyways, as I said uphtread, I intend to finish out the series, there are still a lot of interesting plot-lines running, and I'm hoping some of those get resolution as well. Plus I love seeing Lynch show up as Cooper's superior, and know he returns some more.
Old August 24 2013, 12:08 AM   #20
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think the movie is the best thing about Twin Peaks. It's what that world is like without the pressure of dumb network executives seeking to appease advertisers. Genuinely out there stuff.

The weakest period is after the case is solved, up until the Windom Earle plotline gets going properly.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:26 AM   #21
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post
Well I finally wrapped up the Laura Palmer storyline...or at least discovered who killed her. For all I know there are still a few episodes dealing with that aftermath.

I'm also interested to hear that this was the shows biggest strength and also it's downfall. Seems people tuned out once it was revealed who killer her? As if that was what all the show was about.

Anyways, as I said uphtread, I intend to finish out the series, there are still a lot of interesting plot-lines running, and I'm hoping some of those get resolution as well. Plus I love seeing Lynch show up as Cooper's superior, and know he returns some more.
There are still a few episodes dealing with the aftermath as you have surmised, and they are excellent. You'll know when you reach the new era of the series. There is an pretty solid conclusion and You will feel like that could have easily been the end. I'm glad it continued.

Nice to hear you will be finishing. There are serious rough patches but the rewards for sticking with it are very great.

That episode you just watched with the revelation of the killer is amazing. The last scene at the Roadhouse is beautiful.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:00 AM   #22
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I really almost quit after that ep, I was so furious about the second killing not being prevented.

In fact, I think I was as furious with the final episode of the series at first, but for different reasons ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:35 AM   #23
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Loved the series but didn't care for the Fire Walk with Me film.
Although, it was obvious from the beginning who the killer was.

I want some coffee and cherry pie now.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:43 AM   #24
Velocity
Commodore

Damn fine coffee, and doughnuts lined up down the middle of the table.

What ever happened to the log lady spin off?
Old August 24 2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

IIRC a lot of people expected the killer to be revealed by the end of the first season and were pissed off when that didn't happen.
Old August 24 2013, 02:22 PM   #26
the G-man
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
For a lot of people there is a dip partway through the 2nd season, but I'd suggest you ride it out all the way to the end ….
I completely disagree. IMO, if the viewer quits mid-second season at the end of the Laura Palmer storyline, the show holds together as the greatest miniseries in TV history. If the viewer keeps going into the Windom Earle plot it's a huge letdown.

Not just because the show ends
but because, while the Palmer storyline more or less held together with the show playing fair with clues from day one
the subsequent storyline came off as being made up as it went along.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:25 PM   #27
the G-man
Commodore

Seriously. Once Cooper catches Laura's killer, stop. You'll be happier. The show turned to crap after that. It was like the difference between Season 3 and Season 4 of Community. Yeah, they looked like the same show but the latter came off as a parody of the former by people who didn't understand what made it originally work.
Old August 24 2013, 02:25 PM   #28
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Laura Palmer story was made up as it went along too, it's not really a big deal.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 04:04 PM   #29
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Speaking of clues, that was what struck me during those "water cooler conversations" about the show prior to the killer's reveal - that people had their various pet theories, but were ignoring ( or had missed ) some pretty big clues. For one thing,
Old August 24 2013, 05:39 PM   #30
the G-man
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Laura Palmer story was made up as it went along too, it's not really a big deal.
But the Laura story didn't seem that way. The Earle one did.

Look, bottom line here is that the second story never even finished. We can all try to delude ourselves that there was some meaning in that final scene but, ultimately, it was the set up for a third season that never occurred and nothing more. And to make matters worse, when Lynch had the chance to finish it with the movie, instead he made a damn prequel.

It's as if George Lucas got bored after ESB and jumped right to the Phantom Menace instead of RotJ.

I can't, in good conscience, tell someone to start on another story is the series when the creator didn't bother to finish it and especially given that it wasn't as good as the first one.