RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,894
Posts: 5,386,908
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 474
Newest member: teriankhoka

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 24 2013, 01:43 AM   #31
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

sidious618 wrote:
Listen, if people on this board keep telling you that you're coming across in a certain way, and people DO keep telling you that, then you're going to need to learn that this means, in all likelihood, that the problem is you, not everyone else. A crucial lesson that social interaction teaches is that if everyone clashes with you then it's likely not everyone else's fault.
I don't give a toss if a thousand people log in and call me a homophobe. You're being bang out of order, and are openly justifying your actions by your position in a supposed majority. It's unsettling in its thoughtlessness.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:49 AM   #32
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote:
Listen, if people on this board keep telling you that you're coming across in a certain way, and people DO keep telling you that, then you're going to need to learn that this means, in all likelihood, that the problem is you, not everyone else. A crucial lesson that social interaction teaches is that if everyone clashes with you then it's likely not everyone else's fault.
I don't give a toss if a thousand people log in and call me a homophobe. You're being bang out of order, and are openly justifying your actions by your position in a supposed majority. It's unsettling in its thoughtlessness.
You don't seem to get it, do you? If people are constantly fighting with you then it's not "majority abuse" but likely because you're coming across badly. It's not your opinions; it's the way you express them. You're openly hostile and antagonistic when you talk about homosexuals and, really, any group/person that you don't like. This is why people keep clashing with you. Stop trying to blame everyone else and consider how you might come across in a different way and everything will go swimmingly.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:50 AM   #33
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Listen, if people on this board keep telling you that you're coming across in a certain way, and people DO keep telling you that, then you're going to need to learn that this means, in all likelihood, that the problem is you, not everyone else. A crucial lesson that social interaction teaches is that if everyone clashes with you then it's likely not everyone else's fault.
Absolutely ridiculous; "everyone" does not have a problem with DalekJim. Specific people who view any kind of criticism of something to do with homosexuals, in this case the "OMG you're so brave for coming out!" school of thought, as automatically homophobic have a problem with him. It's genuinely frightening to see you imply that he's no-two-ways-about-it in the wrong simply because he doesn't hold a view that more numerous people share.

Maybe that's why I'm not a socialist.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
You don't seem to get it, do you? If people are constantly fighting with you then it's not "majority abuse" but likely because you're coming across badly. It's not your opinions; it's the way you express them. You're openly hostile and antagonistic when you talk about homosexuals and, really, any group/person that you don't like. This is why people keep clashing with you. Stop trying to blame everyone else and consider how you might come across in a different way and everything will go swimmingly.
Translation: more people disagree with you than agree with you, therefore you are in the wrong.

Sorry, I don't play like that.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:52 AM   #34
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

sidious618 wrote: View Post
You're openly hostile and antagonistic when you talk about homosexuals.
Man, I've done gay things with guys and openly support them having all our rights. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, and are trying to push across your snideness as tolerance. It's disgraceful bullshit.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:52 AM   #35
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Well that didn't take long.

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Translation: more people disagree with you than agree with you, therefore you are in the wrong.

Sorry, I don't play like that.
Nope. You're willfully missing the point because you can't argue against what I said. Oh, well.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Man, I've done gay things with guys and openly support them having all our rights.
Wait, if you did "gay things" then why is it "our" rights? There's something off here.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:54 AM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
It's genuinely frightening to see you imply that he's no-two-ways-about-it in the wrong simply because he doesn't hold a view that more numerous people share.

Maybe that's why I'm not a socialist.
BURN!

DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:58 AM   #37
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Having your friend come in to have your back whenever someone disagrees with you is also not exactly enamoring behavior nor is doing internet high fives with him/her over "burns." If you want to be taken seriously in life or on a message board then you're going to need to behave in a way that's not constantly causing strife. It has nothing to do with your opinions but with the way you come across. I can't really add anything else to this, sadly, so I'll allow you to protest and claim this is all just "political correctness" but I was actually trying to give you something akin to solid advice as to how to get along better with others.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:00 AM   #38
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Nope. You're willfully missing the point because you can't argue against what I said. Oh, well.
Your point, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if a number of people independently say the same thing to DalekJim, then the problem is him and not the multiple people with opposing views to his. But this ignores why a majority of people might separately think the same thing, as well as assuming as a fundamental part of the argument that because "if everyone clashes with you then it's likely not everyone else's fault," the majority must be right because more people are clashing with DalekJim than agreeing with him. I don't even see how what you're saying could even work an argument without the "most is right" assumption.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:01 AM   #39
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Sidious618 wrote:
ing behavior nor is doing internet high fives with him/her over "burns." If you want to be taken seriously in life or on a message board
I don't care if you take me seriously or not. I have zero respect for anybody that establishes their entire morality on how many people agree with them. In my eyes you are not a man with his own views, but a wave of data swept by the temporal cultural zeitgeist.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:06 AM   #40
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Nope. You're willfully missing the point because you can't argue against what I said. Oh, well.
Your point, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if a number of people independently say the same thing to DalekJim, then the problem is him and not the multiple people with opposing views to his. But this ignores why a majority of people might separately think the same thing, as well as assuming as a fundamental part of the argument that because "if everyone clashes with you then it's likely not everyone else's fault," the majority must be right because more people are clashing with DalekJim than agreeing with him. I don't even see how what you're saying could even work an argument without the "most is right" assumption.
The reason you can't see it is because you're willfully misreading me. I actually somewhat agree with DalekJim that this actor's outing has gotten more press than it deserves considering other news going on. It's his attitude that's the problem, not what he's saying. He's had this problem in most threads he posts in (and you, because you two follow each other in a way that I've never seen on an online message board before). It's gotten to the point here and in SFF forum that Dalek Jim's posts usually wind up throwing a thread off target because of his confrontational manner and his need to bash for the sake of it. There's literally ZERO reason he needed to come in here and shit on this actor's coming out other than to bash him. This is a pattern and I've noticed it because he tends to post in threads I do (or would but then stuff like this happens so I don't).

I'm going to stop replying now because I've done too much to begin with and this thread has gotten way off tangent. If you have more to say then you're more then welcome to PM me.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:06 AM   #41
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It's amazing how for being someone who allegedly has nothing against gay people, you're always Johnny on the spot when it comes time to make the most negative assumptions about them possible
You're really playing that card?
What card would that be? The Orson Scott Card? You already earned that one by criticizing anyone who dared to boycott a treasonous, bigoted piece of shit. The "calling you out on your constant baseless negativity toward gay people card"? Yeah, I guess I am playing that.

Hell, I've even done gay stuff myself.
Mazel tov. So have the guys below. What's your point? That's like saying you have black friends, so therefore you can't say anything racist.

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-an...ing-gay/joanne
http://www.nuffy.net/articles/read/t...being-gay.html
http://gayhomophobe.com/

Calling me a homophobe for giving my opinion on a publicity event? How that fuck is that acceptable? I'm tired of you thinking you're above every forum rule just because you're a moderator.
And I'm tired of you constantly shooting your mouth off about shit you don't know, and almost always in the most backward, intolerant, annoying manner possible. You're an endless negative drain on discussion across the board.

A moment of research here could have shown that his reason for coming out was tied to the anti-gay events in Russia, but you felt the need to make some smug, snide, ignorant remark at his expense because that's all you ever do.

Even if you hadn't done the research, what the fuck business is it of yours to judge the manner and time he chooses to come out in? Let's say he did do it for some publicity. So the hell what? He works in a field revolving around publicity. Getting publicity for himself and his chosen cause can help other gay people. Why the fuck does it bother you so goddamn much that you feel the need to insult the guy over it?
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:11 AM   #42
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
a wave of data
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:11 AM   #43
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

sidious618 wrote: View Post
There's literally ZERO reason he needed to come in here and shit on this actor's coming out other than to bash him.
I don't see how my post was any less valid than anybody else's. If people disagree then that is fine, but calling me a homophobe because I'm skeptical of one celebrity's actions is not a nice way of debating, and is a fuckton more confrontational than my criticism of that bloke off of fucking Prison Break.

I am not a homophobe, nor have I ever said anything homophobic. I have respected Orson Scott Card's right to free speech, and acted skeptical regarding the actions of one celebrity's tabloid antics. This equates in Locutus's mind as homophobia, and he is entitled to his opinion. I just don't want people that I perhaps actually like and respect reading his bullshit claims that I am frequently homophobic, and believing them.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:16 AM   #44
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I just don't want people that I perhaps actually like and respect reading his bullshit claims that I am frequently homophobic, and believing them.
Don't worry, anyone who actually paid attention to what you said, both here and elsewhere, can see you've said nothing remotely homophobic.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:18 AM   #45
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
There's literally ZERO reason he needed to come in here and shit on this actor's coming out other than to bash him.
I don't see how my post was any less valid than anybody else's. If people disagree then that is fine, but calling me a homophobe because I'm skeptical of one celebrity's actions is not a nice way of debating, and is a fuckton more confrontational than my criticism of that bloke off of fucking Prison Break.
I'm calling you a homophobe because of your entire repertoire, not just this. You want to establish that you're not, try not having a kneejerk negative reaction to anything involving gay people in threads for a while. Then I might reevaluate my opinion.

Also, you're just annoying in general, so that tends to amplify the harsh feelings I have towards you. You might just be the Diet Coke of homophobia, but in the little world of TrekBBS, you're a giant irritating mosquito that's always pecking at me, so it adds up.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.