New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 22 2013, 03:40 PM   #16
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: ‘Rambo’ TV series in the works

So I'm thinking something along the lines of a cross between "The Fugitive" and "Highway to Heaven"... and "First Blood"...

John Rambo is back from Vietnam and faced with the demons and flashbacks of his service there, he sets out on a one-man quest for inner peace... He wanders from town to town, getting into trouble here and there but righting wrongs and injustice... All the while, winning the hearts of the local gentry, who then protect him...
Old August 22 2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Starkers wrote: View Post
Yeah First Blood is actually a very different film, hell he only kills one person in it and you could almost say that was accidental (ish. From my recollection I'd argue Rambo wasn't trying to kill, just force the chopper to veer off)

He was softened for the movie. In the novel he kills the whole damn police department plus a buttload of other people. The town is also pretty goddamn flat by the last page of the book.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:06 AM   #18
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Sylvester Stallone Won't Reprise Rambo in TV Revival
Old August 23 2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

This is nearly as silly as Sly's idea to make Rambo V as an adaptation of a sci-fi novel, Hunter or The Savage Hunt to which he's had the rights for years, and which would've seen him hunt down some sort of genetically-modified super-soldiers. I can't see any possible merit to this idea.
Old August 24 2013, 12:56 AM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
So I'm thinking something along the lines of a cross between "The Fugitive" and "Highway to Heaven"... and "First Blood"...

John Rambo is back from Vietnam and faced with the demons and flashbacks of his service there, he sets out on a one-man quest for inner peace... He wanders from town to town, getting into trouble here and there but righting wrongs and injustice... All the while, winning the hearts of the local gentry, who then protect him...
Or they could just remake Kung Fu.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:02 AM   #21
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

They already did.
Old August 24 2013, 01:09 AM   #22
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
They already did.
The cop version wasn't very good.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 24 2013, 01:09 AM   #23
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
This is nearly as silly as Sly's idea to make Rambo V as an adaptation of a sci-fi novel, Hunter or The Savage Hunt to which he's had the rights for years, and which would've seen him hunt down some sort of genetically-modified super-soldiers. I can't see any possible merit to this idea.
Pfft, TNG did it first.

I could see that as a movie, just not a Rambo movie. Hell, Stalone could be in it and it would be fine, just not a Rambo movie.
Old August 24 2013, 01:10 AM   #24
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
They already did.
The cop version wasn't very good.
I never saw it.
Old August 24 2013, 01:24 AM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

don't
Old August 24 2013, 01:44 PM   #26
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Pfft, TNG did it first.

I could see that as a movie, just not a Rambo movie. Hell, Stalone could be in it and it would be fine, just not a Rambo movie.
In fairness, I think Sly has had the rights for a long time and has tried to make it as a standalone movie. The studio wouldn't fund it but eventually said 'we'll give you the money if you re-tool it as a Rambo movie.' So, wanting to make it, he agreed to their terms. To his credit, when he saw the backlash from Rambo fans, he agreed that it wasn't a good idea to turn Rambo into a sci-fi series and nixed the idea.
Old August 24 2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Mojochi
Commodore

Rambo is a period piece, plain & simple. The sentiment of the concept is outdated. The character concept is that he's a jilted, emotionally damaged, rogue ex-commando, with a war hero's record, who no one respects as such. Long hair or not, if people saw a man today who had clearly been in the service, nobody would be dumb enough to treat him like shit

So the notion of making a show about him in post-Vietnam USA is I'll conceived. The only show that would work at all is either one set during the war, or one set many years later when he's the boat ferrier from the last movie, wandering foreign lands, when his history beyond being a war machine is long behind him

Frankly, a Bourne series with a recast Jason Bourne would be much more relevant.
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 01:56 AM   #28
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Pfft, TNG did it first.

In fairness, I think Sly has had the rights for a long time and has tried to make it as a standalone movie. The studio wouldn't fund it but eventually said 'we'll give you the money if you re-tool it as a Rambo movie.' So, wanting to make it, he agreed to their terms. To his credit, when he saw the backlash from Rambo fans, he agreed that it wasn't a good idea to turn Rambo into a sci-fi series and nixed the idea.
If he had gone through with this perhaps Far Cry: Blood Dragon would never have been made.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 06:15 AM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Mojochi wrote: View Post
The character concept is that he's a jilted, emotionally damaged, rogue ex-commando, with a war hero's record, who no one respects as such. Long hair or not, if people saw a man today who had clearly been in the service, nobody would be dumb enough to treat him like shit
Sadly, that's not so clear cut. There are always those who are so deranged that they will heap scorn on any member of the military - even those who need help the most. So if Rambo were to be rebooted as a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan, and returned home with the scars earned thereby, he'd still find shit being aimed at him just like in First Blood.
Old August 25 2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I don't agree. Controversial as the wars of the last decade or so have been, they didn't divide the American nation as much as Vietnam did. And, for the most part, the actual troops fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan were not criticised as much as the leadership (though I've read that the stories of soldiers returning from Vietnam to be spat on or have blood thrown on them were exaggerated anyway). Having said that, there are sadly many veterans of the last decade suffering from PTSD and the like and I'm not seeking to downplay what they may have undergone.

Also, in writing Rambo, David Morrell was putting together the hostility to veterans with the hostility to the counterculture and hippies; Rambo looked like a hippy in FB, not a military man, and this in part annoyed the small-town sheriff in that story. I don't think that there's quite the same schism or coming together of factors today as there was at the time that Morrell wrote First Blood.

Then again, a TV network might be quite happy just to have the character of a tough but traumatised green beret war veteran and 'update him for a new generation', so what do I know?!