RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,216
Posts: 5,405,112
Members: 24,760
Currently online: 534
Newest member: R.Data

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2013, 11:56 PM   #781
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

DalekJim wrote: View Post
This actually means we can't trust him on anything, as he'll be trying to shill his services for every movie?
Honestly, Affleck was nowhere on my radar, but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially remembering all the skepticism that greeted Keaton back in the day.

But, yeah, I have a soft spot for DAREDEVIL since it was the first movie I ever novelized . . . ah, youth!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:58 PM   #782
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I wasn't dissing you, I have a respect for the medium of the novelisation. Some of the Doctor Who ones are better than the actual TV serials.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:00 AM   #783
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
thumbtack wrote: View Post
In declaring the fanboys "consistently and always wrong", they cite Heath Ledger, Daniel Craig, and the Star Trek reboot.
Ledger was good. Craig is too ugly and unrefined for Bond, though he nails the physicality. And the Star Trek reboot was crap.
If financial success denotes high quality, Brittainy Spears is the pinnacle of musical achievement.
All it indicates is financial success. Which what the folks footing the bill are looking at. The folks plopping down the bucks are looking to be entertained. "Quality" is in the eye of the beholder. For this beholder, Craig nails Bond on every level and Star Trek is as close to TOS as it gets. The real TOS from the 60s, not the nostalgic fantasy TOS from some fans' memories.

Britney Spears? Is it 2001 again? Isn't Justin Bieber the current go to for angry old man rants? When I was a kid it was the Beatles.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:02 AM   #784
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The music is loud and bombastic, the colors bright and vivid these LOOK like heroes and they're about to reveal all of their splendor to the world in all of their awesome. Superman vastly lacked that.
Good. That's about the last thing I want to see.
Why watch a damn Superman film then?!?!
Not every superhero film needs to fit with what was described in Trekker's post. I liked the approach we got with Man of Steel and I think there's room for stuff like that along with the lighter fare.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:08 AM   #785
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Linkara did a "review" of it which mostly him ranting but he points something out that I think makes the point clearly, there's a shot in Avengers where the camera pans around our heroes readying for the next round of their battle. The music is loud and bombastic, the colors bright and vivid these LOOK like heroes and they're about to reveal all of their splendor to the world in all of their awesome. Superman vastly lacked that.
Well yeah, but Avengers told more of a standard kind of superhero story, with the usual big "superhero moments" and room for the characters to strike cool and dramatic poses.

MOS was presented more as an intense, documentary-style alien invasion movie where the camera was simply recording events on the ground as they happened. Here, Superman was too busy surviving and battling the kryptonians to stop and look cool for the camera.

And even so, there was still a general sense of awe and wonder that followed the character throughout, I thought. Which was all I really needed.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:11 AM   #786
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I wasn't dissing you, I have a respect for the medium of the novelisation. Some of the Doctor Who ones are better than the actual TV serials.
No offense taken.

Back when I was collecting vampire novels, I made sure to track down a copy of the novelization of State of Decay, which, I confess, is the only Doctor Who novelization I've ever read!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:21 AM   #787
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

davejames wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Linkara did a "review" of it which mostly him ranting but he points something out that I think makes the point clearly, there's a shot in Avengers where the camera pans around our heroes readying for the next round of their battle. The music is loud and bombastic, the colors bright and vivid these LOOK like heroes and they're about to reveal all of their splendor to the world in all of their awesome. Superman vastly lacked that.
Well yeah, but Avengers told more of a standard kind of superhero story, with the usual big "superhero moments" and room for the characters to strike cool and dramatic poses.

MOS was presented more as an intense, documentary-style alien invasion movie where the camera was simply recording events on the ground as they happened. Here, Superman was too busy surviving and battling the kryptonians to stop and look cool for the camera.

And even so, there was still a general sense of awe and wonder that followed the character throughout, I thought. Which was all I really needed.
Given the reputations of DC and Marvel (though no longer accurate) you'd think it should be the reverse. DC is the one that should have "standard kind of superhero story" and characters to strike cool and dramatic poses. While Marvel should be more grounded and real.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:27 AM   #788
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Good. That's about the last thing I want to see.
Why watch a damn Superman film then?!?!
Not every superhero film needs to fit with what was described in Trekker's post. I liked the approach we got with Man of Steel and I think there's room for stuff like that along with the lighter fare.
Thing is that it's Superman it SHOULD be bright and colorful like Avengers (or, hell, any of the Marvel-U movies) was. Not the kind of movie where the only splash of color you see is the blue on the Sears building or the blues and yellows in the IHOP. The color tone and vibrancy was just too low in MoS, the movie might of well have been in black-n-white.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:44 AM   #789
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Thing is that it's Superman it SHOULD be bright and colorful like Avengers (or, hell, any of the Marvel-U movies) was. Not the kind of movie where the only splash of color you see is the blue on the Sears building or the blues and yellows in the IHOP. The color tone and vibrancy was just too low in MoS, the movie might of well have been in black-n-white.
I'll agree that the actual color scheme could have been more vibrant. I was responding more to the overall tone of Man of Steel which was less comic booky than The Avengers. I liked the tone of Man of Steel and don't subscribe to this often rigid idea that superhero movies should emphasize a certain kind of fun and levity.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:48 AM   #790
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Thing is that it's Superman it SHOULD be bright and colorful like Avengers (or, hell, any of the Marvel-U movies) was. Not the kind of movie where the only splash of color you see is the blue on the Sears building or the blues and yellows in the IHOP. The color tone and vibrancy was just too low in MoS, the movie might of well have been in black-n-white.
I'll agree that the actual color scheme could have been more vibrant. I was responding more to the overall tone of Man of Steel which was less comic booky than The Avengers. I liked the tone of Man of Steel and don't subscribe to this often rigid idea that superhero movies should emphasize a certain kind of fun and levity.
The color scheme and the music. In both case MoS was dull. Levity, stuff like that can go either way. But Superman shouldn't be so... dull and bland.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:53 AM   #791
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Thing is that it's Superman it SHOULD be bright and colorful like Avengers (or, hell, any of the Marvel-U movies) was. Not the kind of movie where the only splash of color you see is the blue on the Sears building or the blues and yellows in the IHOP. The color tone and vibrancy was just too low in MoS, the movie might of well have been in black-n-white.
Well we already got that with the Donner movies. Those were about as bright and comic booky as you can get.

As much as I loved that back then, I find the idea of a more grounded and realistic Superman much more intriguing now.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:24 AM   #792
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

davejames wrote: View Post
a more grounded and realistic Superman
Oxymoron alert!
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:30 AM   #793
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

These tales should become more grounded and realistic if you alter your perception to fit their universe, rather than twisting their world to resemble ours. You lose the magic then.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:19 AM   #794
Chuck Finley
Commander
 
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Ok, I have no idea how acurate a site cosmicbooknews.com is, but I figured I'd post this article anyway.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...trong-sinestro

Even if this isn't true, and thats very possible, its an interesting idea that I'd never considered. I've never seen Breaking Bad (I only really know Cranston from malcom in the Middle and various cameos on shows like Seinfeld), but I think bald Bryan cranston could look like Luthor (if you got rid of the goatee and glasses from the pics I've seen of him bald in breaking bad) plus he's always seemed like a decent actor.
If this is true, I think Cranston would be exellent as Luthor, but I'm not really sure I want the same older Luthor. Every Luthor in the movies has been older and while I think Cranston would be absolutely perfect, especially after Breaking Bad, but I don't know what I want in Luthor this time. I certainly don't want a Luthor that comes up with real estate schemes. I do want to see Luthor in the power suit though. I know this would never happen, but I'd love to see Rosenboum as Luthor again. But, yeah, Cranston would negate my feelings against Afleck for sure.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:30 AM   #795
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Linkara did a "review" of it which mostly him ranting but he points something out that I think makes the point clearly, there's a shot in Avengers where the camera pans around our heroes readying for the next round of their battle. The music is loud and bombastic, the colors bright and vivid these LOOK like heroes and they're about to reveal all of their splendor to the world in all of their awesome. Superman vastly lacked that.
Good. That's about the last thing I want to see.
It is amazing how many reviewers use straw men to attack the Man of Steel. It wasn't the movie THEY WANTED to see so they make up reasons not to like it. I really enjoyed both movies on their own terms, and overlooked the flaws in each as I did so. There was nothing about the Man of Steel that needed the shot discussed here; it wasn't the tone of the film.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.