Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 23 2013, 08:40 PM   #76
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

I really hope Matt doesn't regenerate in the 50th because I don't want another kitchen-sink regeneration story. I want one with a proper plot.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:48 PM   #77
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

What I'd like, is a frickin explanation for the Silence and why have they bothered the Eleventh Doctor for as long as they did. The Daleks would be lovely to have been involved, but given how badly they've been portrayed in Moffat's run, I'd rather they didn't appear.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:55 PM   #78
Starkers
Admiral

Moffat has said he'll tie up some loose ends in the Christmas special. As for the silence. I thought we now knew why they were so concerned about Trenzalore? They knew if the Doctor went there then the Great Intelligence (or some other threat) could enter the Doctor's tomb and rewrite all of his victories. I figure their idea was to kill him early and prevent such a potentially devastating 'weapon' being left behind.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:06 PM   #79
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Moffat has said he'll tie up some loose ends in the Christmas special. As for the silence. I thought we now knew why they were so concerned about Trenzalore? They knew if the Doctor went there then the Great Intelligence (or some other threat) could enter the Doctor's tomb and rewrite all of his victories. I figure their idea was to kill him early and prevent such a potentially devastating 'weapon' being left behind.
That's pretty much my take on it

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:23 PM   #80
RoJoHen
Awesome

While that explanation does make sense, it doesn't really explain Madame Kovarian's attitude towards the Doctor or why she describes her conflict with him as an "endless, bitter war." Killing him to prevent a tragedy? Sure, I get that. But why do they treat him like a villain?

It's nothing we'll ever see, I'm sure, but I'd love to know more about the origin of the Silence. Where did they come from? How did they find out about Trenzalore in the first place?
Old August 23 2013, 09:41 PM   #81
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Coming late to this one, I can see Capaldi's Doctor being like the 6th. However, I think that the massive difference is that Peter is an infinitely better actor than Colin B. He even managed to infuse Malcolm Tucker with some humanity and pathos.

So I think that he's much better equipped to play a character who's prima facie unsympathetic and unlikable and still have the audience root for him, without toning down the performance or playing for sympathy.

I must admit though, seeing as he's best known for playing the abrasive and bilious Tucker, I had hoped that Capaldi's Doctor would be 'against type' and would see a gentler, more whimsical take on the character, without being as eccentric as Matt. Still, I'm sure he'll be great, whatever he does.
Old August 23 2013, 10:04 PM   #82
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Why is everyone confused about this?
50th is Smith.

Christmas, he will regenerate into Capaldi, I'm hoping more towards the end, almost like End of Time, maybe a little earlier, like to finish whatever 11 is in the middle of saving.
Old August 23 2013, 10:30 PM   #83
Starkers
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
While that explanation does make sense, it doesn't really explain Madame Kovarian's attitude towards the Doctor or why she describes her conflict with him as an "endless, bitter war." Killing him to prevent a tragedy? Sure, I get that. But why do they treat him like a villain?

It's nothing we'll ever see, I'm sure, but I'd love to know more about the origin of the Silence. Where did they come from? How did they find out about Trenzalore in the first place?
Well it may be that those at the top know the real reason they want to take the Doctor out, but it might be easier to paint the Doctor as a villain to their underlings than try and explain that they're going after the Doctor because he's too good!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 10:48 PM   #84
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Because I am big fan of "full circle" storytelling, I would love it it Smith's regeneration scene involved him laying on a table, dying, turning to Clara and saying, "Run, you clever girl, and remember me." REGENERATION EXPLOSION!!!!
Actually, those would be good final words for Matt Smith to Clara.
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
What I'd like, is a frickin explanation for the Silence and why have they bothered the Eleventh Doctor for as long as they did. The Daleks would be lovely to have been involved, but given how badly they've been portrayed in Moffat's run, I'd rather they didn't appear.
Good point, since Moffat has produced what are probably the worst Dalek stories of all time. And yeah, I'd prefer another appearance from the silence. They are good monsters, and I'd like a full and sensible explanation for why they've bothered the doctor for pretty much his entire eleventh incarnation.
Photoman15 wrote: View Post
50th is Smith.

Christmas, he will regenerate into Capaldi, I'm hoping more towards the end, almost like End of Time, maybe a little earlier, like to finish whatever 11 is in the middle of saving.
Yeah, it would be a nice change to see a new doctor do more than just say a couple of lines. Plus we'll have a bloody long wait until we next see Capaldi. The doctor usually regenerates after an adventure, and at a few known times, he has regenerated before an adventure (Time & the Rani and the Enemy Within), but never in the middle or even before the end of a story.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:14 PM   #85
Christopher
Writer

I thought that was clear enough -- because all the warmongers and conquerors and tyrants that the Doctor fights see themselves as the good guys. They believe they're perfectly in the right to do the things they do, and that the Doctor is a monster for killing so many of their people and constantly thwarting their plans.

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
50th is Smith.

What do you mean, "everyone?" Only one person here is questioning that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 06:41 AM   #86
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

11 to Clara on day 2: "Regeneration 101: This is how you make fishsticks and custard."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 10:18 AM   #87
ITL
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
11 to Clara on day 2: "Regeneration 101: This is how you make fishsticks and custard."
[fake outrage]IT'S FISH FINGERS! NOT FISH STICKS! EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE THE SAME THING! GAH![/fake outrage]

Old August 24 2013, 02:46 PM   #88
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Karen is going to be blue.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 04:37 PM   #89
Nightowl1701
Commander

While that explanation does make sense, it doesn't really explain Madame Kovarian's attitude towards the Doctor or why she describes her conflict with him as an "endless, bitter war." Killing him to prevent a tragedy? Sure, I get that. But why does she (corrected by quoter) treat him like a villain?
That's what I've wanted to know. The Silence I could buy (barely) as doing the wrong things for the right reasons. But Frances Barber played her character as someone who had a VERY personal grudge against the Doctor. The sheer venom in her voice speaking to him almost made me think she was somehow a post-Library River who'd gone psychotic and essentially (with the Silence's help) created herself. (And boy, wouldn't that have put Amy's execution of her in Wedding in a different light.) I hope somebody gets around to explaining who she is, and what the Doctor did to her/will do to her to make her so desperately hate him.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:08 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

^Kovarian had spent much of her life believing the Doctor to be a bogeyman who would destroy the universe, because of her interpretation of the prophecy of Trenzalore. She was also closely affiliated with a group of religious fanatics, the Silence. It's entirely possible that she could've learned to hate him without him having to do anything to her personally. Hate is often based more on imagination and false beliefs, such as racial or sexual stereotypes or the propaganda of a warlike govenrment, than on genuine grievances. That's part of what makes hatred such a dangerous and destructive force.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote