Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 23 2013, 03:20 PM   #706
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is Affleck going to be Nolan-verse Bruce Wayne who somehow came out of retirement because JGL messed up?
No, its not the same 'verse. This was discussed at length when the film was announced.

Gaith wrote:
Okay, so I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy: where was he during the Metropolis battle, then? He couldn't hop in a Bat-Plane and help out? And when Clark showed up at the military base, are we really supposed to believe no one mentioned that other cape-and-costume-wearing guy, or did those mentions just oh-so-conveniently happen off-screen?
He was busy. Major shit was going down in Gotham. (Same excuse they've used in comics for decades)

A bunch of people mentioned it, as you surmised, off camera.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:25 PM   #707
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Okay, so I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy: where was he during the Metropolis battle, then? He couldn't hop in a Bat-Plane and help out? And when Clark showed up at the military base, are we really supposed to believe no one mentioned that other cape-and-costume-wearing guy, or did those mentions just oh-so-conveniently happen off-screen?
That's been an issue in super-hero comics since they started sharing universes. Where were the Fantastic Four when the Avengers were saving the universe? What were the rest of the Legionnaires doing that was so important that there were only five available to take on the Sun-Eater? Suspend your disbelief. The bottom line is that whatever Batman may have been doing behind the scenes, it wasn't relevant to the story at hand. And we don't know that he could have done anything to make a difference. A god-like alien and the U.S. military were on the case. Batman was out of the loop.

And when the military had Superman in custody, they were probably more focused on super-powered aliens on Earth and a possible invasion than on comparing Superman's sartorial choices to that vigilante in Gotham City. Perspective.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:45 PM   #708
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Batman was busy dealing with the Joker-fish in Gotham and couldnt be bothered with something that was beyond his power level.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:47 PM   #709
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Is Affleck going to be Nolan-verse Bruce Wayne who somehow came out of retirement because JGL messed up?
Nope... A completely different universe...
Old August 23 2013, 03:47 PM   #710
Opus
Commodore

I can sum up the choice of Afflect as Batman in one bit of dialogue:

"Hey, Supah-man! What th' frig?!"
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:28 PM   #711
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I'm perfectly fine with this choice. Is Affleck the best actor out there for the role? No. But Batman is not that hard to do, actually. Superman was a lot harder to get right, Batman is fairly easy to portray. Most actors out there would have been at least suitable, and Affleck is more than just suitable. He'll be fine.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:29 PM   #712
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

You know, as I think about it, I can.... almost see it as Affleck has a "look" about him I think suits Bruce Wayne and he may play well against Cavil but at the same time... :shudder: he's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Old August 23 2013, 04:33 PM   #713
davejames
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Well I'm sure in this world Batman is still nothing more than an urban myth that no one really takes seriously. He probably hasn't revealed himself in a big, dramatic way yet, like we saw at the end TDKR.

Plus, there's the lack of superpowers thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:45 PM   #714
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I dunno. Bale's still Batman to me, so far as live-action goes. Affleck is good and all, but he'll never measure up.

Now if they dubbed over Affleck with Kevin Conroy, then I'd be onboard.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:45 PM   #715
davejames
Vice Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
I'm perfectly fine with this choice. Is Affleck the best actor out there for the role? No. But Batman is not that hard to do, actually. Superman was a lot harder to get right, Batman is fairly easy to portray. Most actors out there would have been at least suitable, and Affleck is more than just suitable. He'll be fine.
I agree to an extent... but Batman still needs to be a pretty dark and badass character. And while Affleck is good at playing haunted or conflicted, there's just nothing remotely dark or badass about him.

Even Keaton at least had some sort of crazy and unpredictable quality to him (as seen so clearly in Beetlejuice) that you could easily see being molded to fit Batman.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:55 PM   #716
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but Keaton was never really that believable for me as Batman.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:00 PM   #717
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but Keaton was never really that believable for me as Batman.
Never bought into Keaton either. Batman as a pudgy middle-aged man? Yeahhh... Sorry don't buy it.
Old August 23 2013, 05:07 PM   #718
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
Nope... A completely different universe...
With the same Wayne Enterprises corporate logo...
Old August 23 2013, 05:08 PM   #719
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
I think you need to take a good, long look at the history of live-action Batmen. The record is not that strong because the role is difficult to pull off in and out of costume--playing two distinct characters.

Like the horrid Keaton, Affleck's face, voice and general body type is all wrong for the role (no matter what kind of training is used to beef up BA).

Batman is not an everyman, so the actor who takes on the role cannot be that, either. Affleck comes off very much like "some guy down the street."
Old August 23 2013, 05:10 PM   #720
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I had expected a much more ferocious response to the casting of Affleck as Batman.

I think he's a good choice. He fits physically, and I think his acting is underrated somewhat.

Michael Keaton was very good in that role, I thought. My first reaction to his casting was that he was too small, but I thought he carried it off well enough. Better than Clooney and Kilmer, that's for sure.

I thought Bale was a great Batman but a terrible Bruce Wayne.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote