RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,863
Posts: 5,474,583
Members: 25,044
Currently online: 511
Newest member: DrawHQ

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2013, 10:33 AM   #46
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
I wonder how long it will be before that stops becoming a thing, and people identify as American without the European ancestry. I don't know if it's a matter of becoming completely removed from the culture throughout many layers of generations, or that "American" needs to become a sufficient identity on the same level as Italian, German, etc.
It's a regional thing more than anything else. Polls find that most southerners say they're "American" as opposed to Scottish (most likely) or English, etc.

I don't know if it will completely go away (the Irish are from 1840s, after all).
The difference though is that England, Scotland etc.. are countries themselves. So someone might say they are English and British or Scottish and British. It's a little differenet from someone saying they are Irish-American. I guess that description might work if they were born in Irish and emmigrated to the USA and became a citizen of the USA.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:46 PM   #47
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly.

People in the Northeast United States (for example) are likely to point out their origin. They might say they're English or Irish, etc. In the South (particularly Appalachia), where people are predominantly of Scottish origin or English origin, they instead so they're American.

Here is a chart to show what I mean
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:58 PM   #48
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

I remember Bob Geldof many years ago saying in a speech somewhere in the US that Irish Americans are no more Irish than African Americans are Africans. It was in exasperation with the fundraising for Irish political terrorism. I think this is what all of us from the 'auld countries' actually think. Don't get me wrong, it's great for tourism, but when an American dressed in tartan comes up to us and says he's 'Scatch' we just nod and smile.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:07 PM   #49
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful.
Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.

This whole idea is so peculiar that I can only assume it's either a big scam, lunacy or ingenious. But I really doubt it's the latter.

I suppose there's nothing anyone could say to dissuade you from this, but it is almost certainly a horrible idea!
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:19 PM   #50
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly.

People in the Northeast United States (for example) are likely to point out their origin. They might say they're English or Irish, etc. In the South (particularly Appalachia), where people are predominantly of Scottish origin or English origin, they instead so they're American.

Here is a chart to show what I mean
But to someone from the UK (and it's consitutant countries) or Ireland or any other country for that matter. How exactly can they say English when the last realtive to reside in one of those countires was several generations ago. I also note from that link that there is no one from Scottish ancestry (according to the chart)

It might have some meaning to them but it has little to no meaning to people from those countries they say they have ancestry from. Deckard already touched on this point.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:30 PM   #51
Kenbushway
Captain
 
Kenbushway's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful.
Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.

This whole idea is so peculiar that I can only assume it's either a big scam, lunacy or ingenious. But I really doubt it's the latter.

I suppose there's nothing anyone could say to dissuade you from this, but it is almost certainly a horrible idea!
I said it could not it would. Like I said details have been worked out this isn't just some impulse move. We are aware of things brought up. Maybe I didn't do the best in describing how far we've gone. Yes Macedonia has a 30% range but that doesn't mean that 30% of its people are actually unemployed. Those who are self-employed (like my dad's friend) are listed as unemployed even though they aren't; not only that but its economy has improved slightly. Not saying its going to be a rainbow of a ride but the situation here isn't any better.
__________________
"The typical investor would be better off if his stocks had no market quotations at all, for he would be spared the mental anguish caused him by other persons' mistakes of judgement."
Benjamin Graham - The Intelligent Investor Chpt 8.
Kenbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #52
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But to someone from the UK (and it's consitutant countries) or Ireland or any other country for that matter. How exactly can they say English when the last realtive to reside in one of those countires was several generations ago. I also note from that link that there is no one from Scottish ancestry (according to the chart)

It might have some meaning to them but it has little to no meaning to people from those countries they say they have ancestry from. Deckard already touched on this point.
That's why I said it was an American thing to do? We can say it because we have mouths that can make sounds and form language that say precisely those things. You can disagree with the practice all you want, I was just pointing out that Americans are happy to say Brooklyner, New Yorker, American, but also can say Italian or Irishman on top of that. Where we came from is important too precisely because we're a nation of immigrants.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #53
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Wikitravel usually has good information.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Republic_of_Macedonia
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:57 PM   #54
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

This sounds like a terrible idea. Someone running away from Amurica.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:01 PM   #55
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful.
Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.

This whole idea is so peculiar that I can only assume it's either a big scam, lunacy or ingenious. But I really doubt it's the latter.

I suppose there's nothing anyone could say to dissuade you from this, but it is almost certainly a horrible idea!
I said it could not it would. Like I said details have been worked out this isn't just some impulse move. We are aware of things brought up. Maybe I didn't do the best in describing how far we've gone. Yes Macedonia has a 30% range but that doesn't mean that 30% of its people are actually unemployed. Those who are self-employed (like my dad's friend) are listed as unemployed even though they aren't; not only that but its economy has improved slightly. Not saying its going to be a rainbow of a ride but the situation here isn't any better.
I would find the highlighted very off putting.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:05 PM   #56
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Intergalactic Wales
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

i think you should probably go there to see the country first. if you like it there, enjoy the local cuisine etc then start to think about the moving and practical considerations like employment, living etc.

also a backup plan in case things go wrong, as that dude does sound a bit dodgy
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:08 PM   #57
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

BillJ wrote: View Post
This sounds like a terrible idea. Someone running away from Amurica.
There are other nice places to live in the world. Many countries have an American expat community of one size or another.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:31 PM   #58
Trekker4747
Trekker4747
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I haven't been on in a while because of a short but filled college semester. However I've been waiting for my whole family to be told before coming here and asking has anyone been to Republic of Macedonia? Does anyone have tips when it comes to moving to European countries from America?
Well.... they have good nuts.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:41 PM   #59
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I haven't been on in a while because of a short but filled college semester. However I've been waiting for my whole family to be told before coming here and asking has anyone been to Republic of Macedonia? Does anyone have tips when it comes to moving to European countries from America?
Well.... they have good nuts.
That's Macadamia.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 01:34 AM   #60
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.
He could just move to Detroit and avoid the hassles of a new language and work visa...
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.