Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 23 2013, 10:33 AM   #46
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
I wonder how long it will be before that stops becoming a thing, and people identify as American without the European ancestry. I don't know if it's a matter of becoming completely removed from the culture throughout many layers of generations, or that "American" needs to become a sufficient identity on the same level as Italian, German, etc.
It's a regional thing more than anything else. Polls find that most southerners say they're "American" as opposed to Scottish (most likely) or English, etc.

I don't know if it will completely go away (the Irish are from 1840s, after all).
The difference though is that England, Scotland etc.. are countries themselves. So someone might say they are English and British or Scottish and British. It's a little differenet from someone saying they are Irish-American. I guess that description might work if they were born in Irish and emmigrated to the USA and became a citizen of the USA.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:46 PM   #47
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly.

People in the Northeast United States (for example) are likely to point out their origin. They might say they're English or Irish, etc. In the South (particularly Appalachia), where people are predominantly of Scottish origin or English origin, they instead so they're American.

Here is a chart to show what I mean
Old August 23 2013, 02:58 PM   #48
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I remember Bob Geldof many years ago saying in a speech somewhere in the US that Irish Americans are no more Irish than African Americans are Africans. It was in exasperation with the fundraising for Irish political terrorism. I think this is what all of us from the 'auld countries' actually think. Don't get me wrong, it's great for tourism, but when an American dressed in tartan comes up to us and says he's 'Scatch' we just nod and smile.
Old August 23 2013, 03:07 PM   #49
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful.
Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.

This whole idea is so peculiar that I can only assume it's either a big scam, lunacy or ingenious. But I really doubt it's the latter.

I suppose there's nothing anyone could say to dissuade you from this, but it is almost certainly a horrible idea!
Old August 23 2013, 03:19 PM   #50
MacLeod
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly.

People in the Northeast United States (for example) are likely to point out their origin. They might say they're English or Irish, etc. In the South (particularly Appalachia), where people are predominantly of Scottish origin or English origin, they instead so they're American.

Here is a chart to show what I mean
But to someone from the UK (and it's consitutant countries) or Ireland or any other country for that matter. How exactly can they say English when the last realtive to reside in one of those countires was several generations ago. I also note from that link that there is no one from Scottish ancestry (according to the chart)

It might have some meaning to them but it has little to no meaning to people from those countries they say they have ancestry from. Deckard already touched on this point.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:30 PM   #51
Kenbushway
Captain

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful.
Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.

This whole idea is so peculiar that I can only assume it's either a big scam, lunacy or ingenious. But I really doubt it's the latter.

I suppose there's nothing anyone could say to dissuade you from this, but it is almost certainly a horrible idea!
I said it could not it would. Like I said details have been worked out this isn't just some impulse move. We are aware of things brought up. Maybe I didn't do the best in describing how far we've gone. Yes Macedonia has a 30% range but that doesn't mean that 30% of its people are actually unemployed. Those who are self-employed (like my dad's friend) are listed as unemployed even though they aren't; not only that but its economy has improved slightly. Not saying its going to be a rainbow of a ride but the situation here isn't any better.
Old August 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #52
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But to someone from the UK (and it's consitutant countries) or Ireland or any other country for that matter. How exactly can they say English when the last realtive to reside in one of those countires was several generations ago. I also note from that link that there is no one from Scottish ancestry (according to the chart)

It might have some meaning to them but it has little to no meaning to people from those countries they say they have ancestry from. Deckard already touched on this point.
That's why I said it was an American thing to do? We can say it because we have mouths that can make sounds and form language that say precisely those things. You can disagree with the practice all you want, I was just pointing out that Americans are happy to say Brooklyner, New Yorker, American, but also can say Italian or Irishman on top of that. Where we came from is important too precisely because we're a nation of immigrants.
Old August 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #53
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Wikitravel usually has good information.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Republic_of_Macedonia
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:57 PM   #54
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

This sounds like a terrible idea. Someone running away from Amurica.
Old August 23 2013, 04:01 PM   #55
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post

I said it could not it would. Like I said details have been worked out this isn't just some impulse move. We are aware of things brought up. Maybe I didn't do the best in describing how far we've gone. Yes Macedonia has a 30% range but that doesn't mean that 30% of its people are actually unemployed. Those who are self-employed (like my dad's friend) are listed as unemployed even though they aren't; not only that but its economy has improved slightly. Not saying its going to be a rainbow of a ride but the situation here isn't any better.
I would find the highlighted very off putting.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:05 PM   #56
Avon
Fleet Captain

i think you should probably go there to see the country first. if you like it there, enjoy the local cuisine etc then start to think about the moving and practical considerations like employment, living etc.

also a backup plan in case things go wrong, as that dude does sound a bit dodgy

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:08 PM   #57
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

BillJ wrote: View Post
This sounds like a terrible idea. Someone running away from Amurica.
There are other nice places to live in the world. Many countries have an American expat community of one size or another.
Old August 23 2013, 04:31 PM   #58
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

I haven't been on in a while because of a short but filled college semester. However I've been waiting for my whole family to be told before coming here and asking has anyone been to Republic of Macedonia? Does anyone have tips when it comes to moving to European countries from America?
Well.... they have good nuts.
Old August 23 2013, 06:41 PM   #59
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I haven't been on in a while because of a short but filled college semester. However I've been waiting for my whole family to be told before coming here and asking has anyone been to Republic of Macedonia? Does anyone have tips when it comes to moving to European countries from America?
Well.... they have good nuts.
That's Macadamia.
Old August 24 2013, 01:34 AM   #60
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

He could just move to Detroit and avoid the hassles of a new language and work visa...
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote