Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 23 2013, 12:13 PM   #691
indianatrekker26
Captain

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I was floored hearing the news on HLN this morning, that Affleck is going to be Batman. He's not that bad an actor, but i won't picture him as Bruce Wayne at all. He may surprise all of us.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 12:22 PM   #692
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Now that you posted the pic, the brain trust at WB will cast his old ass as Robin, just to keep Affleck happy on set.
Old August 23 2013, 12:25 PM   #693
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

...and here I thought no one would sink below the nightmare that was Keaton as Batman....
Old August 23 2013, 12:43 PM   #694
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Keaton as Batman was good. Keaton as Bruce Wayne was horrible. Affleck as Batman/Bruce I can see working. Cautiously hopeful here.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 12:48 PM   #695
Relayer1
Commodore

Affleck's a rotten actor, but to be honest, so was Bale. It ain't hard to do the Batman voice...
Old August 23 2013, 12:49 PM   #696
flavaflav
Commander

Well, Affleck can't be any worse than that hack Bale. Definitely a surprising choice though.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 12:51 PM   #697
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Is Affleck going to be Nolan-verse Bruce Wayne who somehow came out of retirement because JGL messed up?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:07 PM   #698
billcosby
Commodore

One of my old pals taught me this trick post-Gigli... imagine every/any individual role in cinema initially as the original actor, then as Ben Affleck. It's amazing... what's even more amazing is that he's even worse than himself in his own roles. If you can get your head around that. Intriguing.

The easiest one might be: Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly. Then try and imagine that role as acted by Ben Affleck. Have fun!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:46 PM   #699
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Venardhi wrote: View Post
What does he bring to the table that they can't get elsewhere with less baggage? Is he going to be writing/directing the new Batman film series?
I wouldn't be surprised if that was WB's plan. They seem to have been trying for the last couple of years to attach Affleck (as a director) to pretty much every potential franchise they've got. He was already rumored for the Justice League movie, after all.

.:: TSN ::. wrote: View Post
Is this first time when actor has played both Batman and Superman on screen? Or atleast dressed up as both characters in movies.
Interestingly, Affleck was supposed to play Superman in Wolfgang Petersen's aborted Batman Vs. Superman movie.
Old August 23 2013, 02:45 PM   #700
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

AvBaur wrote: View Post
.:: TSN ::. wrote: View Post
Is this first time when actor has played both Batman and Superman on screen? Or atleast dressed up as both characters in movies.
Interestingly, Affleck was supposed to play Superman in Wolfgang Petersen's aborted Batman Vs. Superman movie.
I'd heard that Jude Law was in line for Superman in that film.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:54 PM   #701
Gaith
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Was there any mention of whether or not Affleck did some testing with Cavill?
Nothing against Affleck as a director or person, but there is no way he won't look and sound like mere human weakling standing next to Cavill. He's got a naturally mournful/baleful (no pun intended) look and eyes, and a much gentler voice than Cavill's.

The more I think about this, the worse it sounds.

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Seems like they're going for a more experienced/established Batman, so he's been dressing like that for a long time...
Okay, so I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy: where was he during the Metropolis battle, then? He couldn't hop in a Bat-Plane and help out? And when Clark showed up at the military base, are we really supposed to believe no one mentioned that other cape-and-costume-wearing guy, or did those mentions just oh-so-conveniently happen off-screen?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:59 PM   #702
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I definitely would never have thought of Affleck as Batman, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:08 PM   #703
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Affleck will be OK, it is what they come up with as a script that will decide if the film is any good. Making this work right on the big screen is incredibly hard, and it is not like they can get Joss Whedon.

If Nolan is in charge I'd expect some good leadership, but they also need a great script and a good director. Being out alongside and available for direct comparison to the Avengers 2 will not help them.

That said, the absolute worst that can happen is a shitty movie, so they can knock themselves out.
Old August 23 2013, 03:14 PM   #704
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well, that was unexpected.

I want to give it the benefit of the doubt. I really really do.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:16 PM   #705
Gojira
Commodore

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I definitely would never have thought of Affleck as Batman, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I think that is why I am so shocked. He wasn't even on the radar. But the more I think about it the more I do like the idea. I think he can really pull it off.

I am more concerned about the script than who they cast as Batman. Look at Clooney in Batman and Robin. While I may enjoy the movie as an homage to the campy 60s show, Clooney did not do a bad job acting as either Wayne or Batman. The problem was people did not want a campy Batman movie, or at least the level of camp that was in that movie. So if Clooney had been Batman in a less campy movie I think people would not be putting the blame for that movie on his shoulders.

If they set the tone of this movie like they did with Iron Man then I think Afflack will do just fine.