Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Vote away
Generations 24 19.05%
First Contact 7 5.56%
Insurrection 37 29.37%
Nemesis 58 46.03%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 20 2013, 08:59 AM   #91
Smellmet
Commander

Re: What is your least favourite TNG film

Glad to see not everyone hates Nemesis on here, I like it at least as much as First Contact, the battle at the end where Picard rams the Enterprise into the Scimitar is one of my favourite scenes in all 12 films
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 03:54 PM   #92
Chensams
Vice Admiral

I'll have to go with Nemesis as it is one of 2 Trek films (Trek 5 being the other) than I didn't see in the movie theaters and only watched one time.

To be fair though, it was a pretty hard choice. My favorite Trek by far is TNG and the movies were all pretty flawed except First Contact. I'm in the process of rewatching the entire series with my 13 year old daughter who has fallen in love with TNG. We are almost done with season 6 and I'm approaching the movies with trepidation. They just really missed the target on them but we'll see how the stand up after years of not watching them.

Even though I picked Nemesis, my opinion may change in rewatching it. I heard rumors that Data dies at the end and never got around to seeing it in the theaters. When I finally watched it, I remember thinking at the end "you know, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." As much as I want Data to still be around, hinting that B4 was basically Data resurrected made Data's death pretty pointless.

Insurrection was just an extended episode but enjoyable. Nothing earth shattering or ground breaking.

Generations ticked me off by the pointless death of Kirk and I HATED, HATED what they did with the emotion chip. So Data is just parts and chips. Just install the chip and whammo! He has emotions. How much better would the story have been if he started developing emotions on his own, you know, greater than the sum of his parts? How much more "Star Trek" would that have been. :GRR:
Old August 22 2013, 06:15 AM   #93
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmmmmm

That's a tough one, I'd say...all of them!

They all play out like the person or persons who wrote them both didn't watch the show and felt that the people who would pay to see the movies where a bunch of idiots!
Old August 23 2013, 05:04 AM   #94
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chensams wrote: View Post
and I HATED, HATED what they did with the emotion chip. So Data is just parts and chips. Just install the chip and whammo! He has emotions. How much better would the story have been if he started developing emotions on his own, you know, greater than the sum of his parts? How much more "Star Trek" would that have been. :GRR:
They actually introduced the emotion chip in the series, I can't remember what episode it was but it was a fiasco with Lore and the chip basically turned Data into Lore. I think the point of the chip in Generations was to show how they had worked on the chip to make it better and not turn Data evil.
Old August 23 2013, 08:42 AM   #95
Smellmet
Commander

I never had a problem with the emotion chip, at the time I thought it was a neat development for the character, I can see now though how it would have probably been better 'Trek' to have him maybe develop emotions on his own
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:48 PM   #96
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Captain_Q wrote: View Post
and I HATED, HATED what they did with the emotion chip. So Data is just parts and chips. Just install the chip and whammo! He has emotions. How much better would the story have been if he started developing emotions on his own, you know, greater than the sum of his parts? How much more "Star Trek" would that have been. :GRR:
They actually introduced the emotion chip in the series, I can't remember what episode it was but it was a fiasco with Lore and the chip basically turned Data into Lore. I think the point of the chip in Generations was to show how they had worked on the chip to make it better and not turn Data evil.
Brothers early in season four.
Old August 24 2013, 05:32 PM   #97
sonak
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Captain_Q wrote: View Post
Brothers early in season four.

that was when it was introduced, but I think the reference to the chip "basically turning Data into Lore" must be a reference to "descent," no?

I mean, in "Brothers" Data didn't even get the chip, and it was in "descent" where he went evil.
Old August 24 2013, 09:03 PM   #98
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Generations.

It killed Kirk for no reason, killed Picard's brother and nephew for no reason, and killed the Enterprise-D for no reason.

They also got really lousy deaths. The Enterprise was destroyed by a Klingon hoopty, and was a rehash from Yesterday's Enterprise (coolant leak, Geordi reacting - the episode did it much better too). Kirk's death needs no further comment. Picard's family deaths was only done to make Picard sad. So much for Rene looking up to the stars at the end of Family. It's hard to believe Moore and Braga could write such crap. The studio demanded a "passing of the torch", but including Kirk into the movie only made it worse.

First Contact is the closest thing to a decent movie. Insurrection is pointless fluff with a stupid message, and Nemesis is a decent idea but everyone involved with the movie was bored.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 01:31 PM   #99
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

Nemeshit

1: Data's sped shed cousin.

2: Picard's lame ass clone played by an actor who even with his head shaved bore -10 resemblance to Patrick Stewart.

3: The totally unnecessary and overly graphic "rape" of Troi.

4: The micro transporter which broke one of Trek's fundamental rules about tech.

5: Data's stupid pointless needless death.

6: B Pointless and the sudden singing.

This was what my wife and I got treated to when we forced our way through a snowstorm to see this fucking piece of shit. Why did we do that? Because Patrick Stewart made a big plea for fans to support the movie by going to see it opening weekend. So we went. Because our Captain asked us to. And we got treated to a cinematic abortion.

And how were we thanked for our loyalty? By getting to hear and read about Stewart carrying on about how it was the fans fault for not supporting the movie.

No Patrick the fault was that your movie sucked. The scriptwriter should be beaten for claiming to be a Star Trek fan, and whoever thought that a hack director who normally does cinematography was a good choice needs thumped. And unlike in times past when it would have taken weeks for word to get out thanks to the advent of The World Wide Web fans were able to warn other fans in a matter of hours rather than days. If they'd had twitter and facebook back then I don't think it would have done any business to speak of.

I am still more than a little bitter to this day and frankly it's taken quite a bit of time for me to forgive Stewart and Spiner who's egos mostly drove the plot.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 09:17 PM   #100
Mr_Homn
Captain

All of these movies really sucked. Unfortunately it took me a little time to let go of my fanboyism and realize that. Then I again I think all the movies suck to some degree or another. The Abrams movies sucked too. The Original Series movies were pretty good but still had a lot of suckage. Sucks sucks sucks. Everything sucks.

I think it's easier for Star Trek not to suck when it's a TV show.
Old August 25 2013, 09:26 PM   #101
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Easily NEM. My wife is at best a casual viewer of Star Trek (as she got in via the JJ movies) but has enjoyed most of the original content as well. She couldn't even make it through Nemesis the first time we watched it.

I ended up throwing the movie in my editing bay and I re-cut the movie down to about the length of an episode, totally removing the entire B4 subplot. Obviously there is no happy ending, and if anything begged even harder for a proper sendoff for that crew, but the wife enjoyed it much more without the B4 story line in it.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 11:28 PM   #102
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Generations by far, nothing comes close. Insurrection is ok, Nemesis and First COntact were the two best.
Old August 25 2013, 11:29 PM   #103
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
Easily NEM. My wife is at best a casual viewer of Star Trek (as she got in via the JJ movies) but has enjoyed most of the original content as well. She couldn't even make it through Nemesis the first time we watched it.

I ended up throwing the movie in my editing bay and I re-cut the movie down to about the length of an episode, totally removing the entire B4 subplot. Obviously there is no happy ending, and if anything begged even harder for a proper sendoff for that crew, but the wife enjoyed it much more without the B4 story line in it.
I had the opposite experience: people who didn't see Nemesis in the theater or who weren't trek fans liked Nemesis when they saw it.

RAMA
Old August 26 2013, 03:41 AM   #104
austen_pierce
Captain

Breaking it down...

Worst Bad Guy: Nemesis-Shinzon, Remans... a.k.a. anti-Betazeds

Biggest Disappointment: Nemesis (where are the freaking Romulans?!?!)

Worst Characters: Insurrection

Least Engaging Story: Insurrection (well, only against a rogue admiral; who really cares about the fountain of youth?)

Worst Plot: Generations (the abominable Nexus)

Worst Rehash of Tech We Had Already Seen: Generations

Worst Use of Actors in Character: Generations
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 04:21 AM   #105
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post

I had the opposite experience: people who didn't see Nemesis in the theater or who weren't trek fans liked Nemesis when they saw it.

RAMA
I had a similar experience. Marathoning Trek movies with my non Trek friends. NEM ranked as one of the highest as far as enjoyment. STID, and ST09 were in first and second place, but after that it was NEM, TWOK, TUC and then FC. They really didn't enjoy FC and I was shocked because it's one of TNG's best. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote