Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 23 2013, 05:51 AM   #661
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Dream wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:58 AM   #662
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Theophilus wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I don't understand why people can so easily accept Lex Luthor as a credible threat to Superman but then are so incredulous at the idea that Batman can play a useful role in a team-up film. They're both depicted as geniuses who use their intellect and the technological/logistical resources afforded by their wealth to excel in a world of superpowered beings, and Batman has the additional assets of personal drive and extensive training on top of that. If you can accept Luthor as a viable bad guy in Superman's universe, then you should be able to accept Batman as a viable good guy.
It's the bat suit that bothers me.

Superman being an alien wearing a cape doesn't bother me. Lex Luthor being a genius that finds a way to be an enemy to Superman doesn't bother me. Bruce Wayne using his resources to help Superman doesn't bother me. Bruce Wayne dressing up like a bat to help Superman save the world bothers me. Batman works all dressed up in Gotham, striking terror in the heart of his enemies and such. Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent work. Superman and Batman is strange.

I can hear General Zod say : "Why is that human dressed like a bat?"
Didn't we go through this in the Nolan films? He wears the suit to protect the people around him. Why would we need anymore explanation than that?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:09 AM   #663
Dream
Admiral

Affleck should ask Clooney for advice about how to play Batman.

Old August 23 2013, 06:30 AM   #664
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

The casting of Affleck as Batman reminds me too much of when they cast George Clooney for Batman & Robin. Also, Affleck has been a great director (Gone Baby Gone) and just starred in a great movie (Argo). Why did he agree to Batman?
Old August 23 2013, 06:40 AM   #665
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Right on schedule, here is the anti-Affleck online petition. You knew someone was going to make one.
Old August 23 2013, 07:00 AM   #666
Dream
Admiral

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Right on schedule, here is the anti-Affleck online petition. You knew someone was going to make one.
Damn, fans work fast these days!
Old August 23 2013, 07:29 AM   #667
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

^ I don't know where to laugh or cry at those people. I think Affleck shall be good in the role.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:37 AM   #668
Aragorn
Admiral

ElimParra wrote: View Post
^ I don't know where to laugh or cry at those people. I think Affleck shall be good in the role.
Remember the Craig Not Bond folks? There were at least two websites.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:46 AM   #669
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hmm, not sure what reaction Warners was expecting, but judging from Twitter people are almost universally outraged and/or laughing their asses off at the idea. Lol

One things for sure, though. They definitely got people's attention.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:47 AM   #670
Chuck Finley
Commander

I grew up loving the Christopher Reeves Superman movies and Superman is my favorite comic book character. I liked Superman Returns despite it's problems. I loved Man of Steel and despite my love for the old movies, I think Man of Steel is the best Superman movie. I was really happy with Cavil playing Superman. I have waited all my life for a Superman/Batman movie and I was really exited when I heard this movie was coming out. Now, I don't know what to think. I got over Val Kilmer playing Batman after Keaton, I liked Clooney as Bruce Wayne. I was skeptikal about Batman Begins until I saw it, then I loved the whole TDK trilogy and I'm happy with how it ended. I couldn't envision anyone but Bale playing Batman, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. I was holding out for someone like Armie Hammer or someone in their thirties, but Afleck, I never saw that coming.

I don't hate Afleck, I liked him in the Kevin Smith movies and Good Will Hunting, but I don't see him as Batman. I see him as Bruce Wayne, but not Batman. I fear this is going to be Clooney all over again. Man of Steel was successful and a great movie, why is Superman so cursed? I'll reserve judgement, but I'm extremely skeptical on this one. I'd rather they went with Matt Damon instead, at least he's a proven action star, or even better Leo, but I doubt he'd ever wear a costume like that.

It's going to be tricky convincing the general audience of this too. I think most people still have Bale as Batman in their heads and it's going to be hard for Afleck or the general public to overcome that. This batman is likely to be already established, so that will be tricky as well trying to sell that. I'm wondering if there is going to be a flash forward or something? Also, if they're going to go with a Justice League movie at some point, Afleck will have to be a part of that as well, which puts him at pushing 50 by the time it comes out. I just don't think this is a good move, I hope it doesn't ruin Superman, like Clooney ruined Batman, in the immortal words of Star Wars characters,

Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:54 AM   #671
DBR
Vice Admiral

I haven't been this upset since Ryan Reynolds was cast as Hal Jordon
Old August 23 2013, 07:57 AM   #672
TemporalFlux
Commodore

WB doesn't disappoint. I mean, their movies do disappoint; their decisions just stay in character.

Every time I see something like this Affleck news, I think of this table with some cigar smoking moguls who don't understand why people are paying money for this super-hero crap. Now they've decided that Robert Downey Jr. must be the reason Marvel makes so much money, so they found a star to throw at the wall.

What WB will never grasp is that success comes from doing your own thing - it does not come from copying someone else's.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:01 AM   #673
Chuck Finley
Commander

DBR wrote: View Post
I haven't been this upset since Ryan Reynolds was cast as Hal Jordon
Yep. They might as well cast Megan Fox for Wonder Woman, Keanu Reeves as Flash, and Hayden Christensen as Aqua Man and recast Nicholas Cage as Superman and make the worst movie ever.
Old August 23 2013, 08:11 AM   #674
Dream
Admiral

Old August 23 2013, 08:16 AM   #675
Chuck Finley
Commander

Dream wrote: View Post
I used to really like Val Kilmer, he was awesome in Tombstone and the Doors, and ThunderHeart, but after that he started sucking and got really fat.