Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Favorite Star Trek Director?
Robert Wise (The Motion Picture) 9 12.33%
Nicholas Meyer (The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country) 33 45.21%
Leonard Nimoy (The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home) 7 9.59%
William Shatner (The Final Frontier) 3 4.11%
David Carson (Generations) 1 1.37%
Jonathan Frakes (First Contact, Insurrection) 6 8.22%
Stuart Baird (Nemesis) 0 0%
J.J. Abrams (Star Trek [2009], Into Darkness) 14 19.18%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 21 2013, 10:56 PM   #31
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: Favorite Star Trek film director?

GNDN wrote: View Post
Shatner -- what can I say, boundless enthusiasm but never bought the story, the guest aliens or the Kirk/Spock dynamic here. This is a cartoon. Some moments of interest, but not a cohesive whole. The budget may be partially to blame, but it is also the director's job to work within the limits set by TPTB (see TWOK)

Shatner impressed me with the scenes he filmed in the new set of a full-scale 1701-A hangar deck with two shuttlecrafts. Simply awesome.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:56 PM   #32
dub
Captain

GNDN wrote:
Had to go with Meyer. While I feel TUC itself is somewhat overrated, I do feel that Meyer overall gave us the best mix of character, intrigue, and action.

Wise gave us a fully formed future reality, though rather sterile and lacking in the very humanity the story tried to embrace. I place the blame more on Roddenberry's evolving image of the future he was trying to write about, but Wise was at the helm directing the actors. I adore the film, but not my favorite direction (editing did no favors here either)

TWOK came with a literal vengeance, retaking the pace, the fun, the humanity and the foibles of our beloved crew. Still my favorite film of the series, although far from the most technically advanced or deepest of story lines, this gave us a simultaneously vulnerable and pompous Kirk.

Nimoy's outings contributed great character, respect for the original series and a wonderful romp with TVH. Understated, proficient, and very impressive for a freshman director.

Shatner -- what can I say, boundless enthusiasm but never bought the story, the guest aliens or the Kirk/Spock dynamic here. This is a cartoon. Some moments of interest, but not a cohesive whole. The budget may be partially to blame, but it is also the director's job to work within the limits set by TPTB (see TWOK)

Carson did a good job with the script he was handed. The Ent-D never looked better and again there are some nice moments, but nothing to break free of the cookie-cutter script.

Frakes gave us all the enthusiasm Shatner had, but worked much more successfully within the scope of the productions he was given. Talented, assured, and very well-done, that is till he was handed the mess that INS became.

Baird can handle action schlock, but please stay far, far away from ST

Abrams has brought the series into the 21st century of big-budget, big-action movie making and does an impeccable job at it. Financially successful, well received by the larger audience, pays homage to the trappings of TOS, but, like Shatner, is making cartoons, just highly entertaining, incredibly polished, very fun cartoons
I agree 100% with your assessment. +1 on every point. Well said.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 11:04 PM   #33
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Abrams. Because, love or hate the scripts or lens flares he works with, he's got a great sense of pacing and how to use the camera to dramatic effect. For all his talent and experience Wise was out of his element on TMP. The rest aren't career directors and all suffer from deficiencies in their overall direction even if they excel in one aspect or another.
Eh, I don't know. Abrams' directing style leaves me unenthused. I'm not sure that's an indictment of Abrams, though, but more of what style is expected today of big, blockbuster action films.

I was watching Independence Day last night -- one of my favorite of the big blockbuster films -- and afterward I started thinking about how dramatically filmmaking has changed in less than 20 years. Yes, Independence Day was big on action and special effects and all the other hallmarks of summer blockbusters. But it wasn't filmed in a way that made you think the director had ADD. Action scenes didn't have to have a camera angle change every 1.2 seconds.

I find that the frentic pace of modern filmmaking, especially of action scenes, is so fast as to make it difficult to follow what's actually happenening. Pair that up with other modern Hollywood techniques of the day, like ShakyCam, and it makes it difficult for me to watch a modern film.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:34 AM   #34
dub
Captain

CoveTom wrote: View Post
I was watching Independence Day last night -- one of my favorite of the big blockbuster films -- and afterward I started thinking about how dramatically filmmaking has changed in less than 20 years. Yes, Independence Day was big on action and special effects and all the other hallmarks of summer blockbusters. But it wasn't filmed in a way that made you think the director had ADD. Action scenes didn't have to have a camera angle change every 1.2 seconds.

I find that the frentic pace of modern filmmaking, especially of action scenes, is so fast as to make it difficult to follow what's actually happenening. Pair that up with other modern Hollywood techniques of the day, like ShakyCam, and it makes it difficult for me to watch a modern film.
LOL, and I also agree with this post...and is Independence Day really nearly 20 years old? Wow. I feel old. I remember seeing that in the theater. It made me cry, though I think I was feeling homesick at the time so I was a little emotional anyway.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:16 AM   #35
Maurice
Vice Admiral

A number of you are conflating direction with editorial and script.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:52 PM   #36
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
A number of you are conflating direction with editorial and script.
A director is often heavily involved with both.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 01:01 AM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^Yes, often but not always, and the act of directing isn't the same as working with the writer in preproduction.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:01 PM   #38
Anika Hanson
Captain

Nicholas Meyer.

Honourable mentions (in no order)

Leonard Nimoy
Jonathan Frakes
Suart Baird
JJ Abrams
Old August 29 2013, 10:50 PM   #39
jpv2000
Captain

Glad to see Meyer with such a lead. I think it is well deserved.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 01:01 PM   #40
Trek Survivor
Captain

Not surprised but disappointed Meyer is winning.

I voted for Nimoy, as I thought he directed two of the more enjoyable.
Old August 30 2013, 04:02 PM   #41
inflatabledalek
Captain

I went with Meyer, not because his direction is Earth-shattering (it does exactly what it needs to do but I don't think everytime I watch II or VI "This is some of the best directing ever!"), but because of the attitude he brought to his Trek.

II to X were all made under some fairly difficult constraints, tight budgets and production schedules and large casts pretty much stuffed with people keen to have their ideas heard. Balancing all that and still having a good story left is a tricky bugger to pull off, but Meyer managed it by pretty much removing his own vanity from proceedings. "Can't afford Kirk/Khan confrontation? OK, we'll chuck it and make the bridge chats work as well as we can. Nimoy wants X number of script alterations before signing on? Right-oh, I'll do them overnight".

I think it's fair to say than many of the other directors struggled to juggle all those plates (especially Shatner, which is a shame because as others have said his basic direction is pretty good. But it does seem he struggled badly with being told "No" at any point) and those are the weaker films as a result.
Old August 30 2013, 08:39 PM   #42
Nine of Four
Commander

Wrath of Khan is the all-time best Star Trek film, and The Undiscovered Country is a personal favorite, so I have to go with Nicholas Meyer.
Old September 1 2013, 06:48 PM   #43
Dantrek
Ensign

Nicholas Meyer did a fantastic job with Wrath Of Kahn considering they had little to no budget. He also had a wonderful and paced perfectly script. I thought he did a good job with Undiscovered Country, although I didn't think the story was as strong as Wrath of Kahn. Jonathan Frakes was great with First Contact and give the subpar script for Insurrection, I think he did the best he could with it.

Stuart Baird should never be let near another Star Trek film again. He is an excellent editor but an average director. (although I loved U.S. Marshals) J.J. Abrams does a good job and would be one of my favorites if it weren't for all the lens flares and camera shaking for space battles. I like to see the battles not have to take Dramamine to watch them.
Dantrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:48 PM   #44
jpv2000
Captain

Dantrek wrote: View Post
Nicholas Meyer did a fantastic job with Wrath Of Kahn considering they had little to no budget. He also had a wonderful and paced perfectly script. I thought he did a good job with Undiscovered Country, although I didn't think the story was as strong as Wrath of Kahn. Jonathan Frakes was great with First Contact and give the subpar script for Insurrection, I think he did the best he could with it.
I agree with both your points, especially about Frakes. I think Nemesis would have been much better if Frakes had directed.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:18 AM   #45
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^Agreed. As I've said a LOT--many of the deleted scenes were frankly necessary for characterization, especially if they were gonna market it as "a generation's final journey". Picard's toast with Data...Beverly's send-off, Deanna's explanation why she couldn't read whether Shinzon was lying...Worf learning to overcome his prejudices when a Romulan doctor saves his life.

The problem wasn't Logan's script--and I think we can all agree now that it CERTAINLY wasn't Tom Hardy...it was Baird's directing choices, particularly to "tone down" the characterizations and cut down the story to its bare bones.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote