RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,415
Posts: 5,506,407
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 471
Newest member: 2278

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2013, 04:59 PM   #46
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Flagship

PhoenixClass wrote: View Post
"Sure they are we've seen a couple of Defiant's and Hoods in Star Trek.

And what about the fact that they have been fifteen ships in the Royal Navy to bear the name Enterprise?"

I said names are not usually reused. The fact that Defiant and Hood have been used more than once does not indicate that it is a standard practice.

So far we have a couple of Defiants and Hoods, the Enterprise 6 times (7 if you count the retcon of the last series) and the Yamato which had an "E" after her registry. There might be others but those are the exmples that have come to our minds easily. That's 4 names out of a fleet of thousands of ships - not a regular practice.
Let's see there is also the Excalibur, the Intrepid (presumed to exist due to the Intrepid Class). So that's now at least 6 ships. So it would appear than ships names are re-used often, even in a fleet of thousands or tens of thousands It's fair bet many of those names have been used before. For example look at the Royal Navy as I mentioned earlier the name Enterprise has been used fiften times, I bet I could with not too much difficulty find more examples.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:12 PM   #47
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: Flagship

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
... because they chose ...
And by "They" you are referring to the producers of the TV show?

As far as a in-universe point that holds no water. Nor does it explain your repeated point of view that the first operational Galaxy was automatically the Flagship.
We have no information as to in which order the Galaxy's were launched.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:14 PM   #48
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Flagship

Well it would make sense that the first one off the production line was the USS Galaxy, after that it's anybodies guess. We know the launch date of the Ent-D was circa 2364 but that's about it.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:19 PM   #49
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: Flagship

Timo wrote: View Post
...Can we even be sure that the title "Federation Flagship" is unique, definite article or no?
If Starfleet starships exist in ten's of thousands, then it would make sense that there would be many "The Flagship of the Federation." Divided (or not) among the Federation's various lanes of expansion. They wouldn't all have to be Galaxy's, but likely would still be a starship that was capable of being dressed to impress.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:55 PM   #50
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Flagship

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
I have always understood the HMS Hood to have been the pride of the British Navy and that is how I have interpreted the description of the Enterprise-D as the flagship of Starfleet, it was the pride of the fleet.
Sure, but people didn't call Hood the flagship of the Royal Navy. That wouldn't have made sense.

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
It doesn't matter if it was or wasn't. It only serves my point if the Galaxy was fully operational, because they chose to wait for the second ship in the series, the one that would be given the name and registry of the Enterprise, to designate as the Federation's flagship.
This seems to imply that the "Federation flagship" designation is assigned early in a vessels' career and is fairly permanent, but is there any reason to assume that's the case?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well it would make sense that the first one off the production line was the USS Galaxy, [...]
Or maybe not, for instance the Lexington-class carrier Saratoga (CV-3) actually completed and entered service before Lexington (CV-2).
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 12:28 AM   #51
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Flagship

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
...Can we even be sure that the title "Federation Flagship" is unique, definite article or no?
If Starfleet starships exist in ten's of thousands, then it would make sense that there would be many "The Flagship of the Federation." Divided (or not) among the Federation's various lanes of expansion. They wouldn't all have to be Galaxy's, but likely would still be a starship that was capable of being dressed to impress.
I think there are still ships that serve as flagships in the traditional sense, particularly in taskforce operations, and such vessels are probably referred to as "the Federation flagship" by an objective party, but I also think the Enterprise was the Federation flagship--the definite article--and did hold a special distinction above all other vessels in the Starfleet.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:20 AM   #52
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Building & Loan's Avatar
 
Location: Bedford Falls
Re: Flagship

^Even when they weren't literally calling it the flagship, they were implying left and right that the Enterprise was a particularly prestigious assignment. I was just watching "Ensign Ro", where Riker objects to Ro's attitude by exclaiming that some officers wait years to serve on the Enterprise.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
... Nor does it explain your repeated point of view that the first operational Galaxy was automatically the Flagship.
I was getting that from you, responding to your argument on your terms:

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Of course it wasn't the same ship, debatably the ship that was named the Enterprise D if give a different name and hull number would still have been the "Flagship of the Federation."

Whatever Galaxy class was launch at that time would have been carried that title.
Now you're just talking in circles...if you're going to argue with your own opinion, you don't need me for that.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.