Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 20 2013, 11:21 PM   #76
Warped9
Admiral

Re: 22nd century star clipper...

sojourner wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
largo wrote: View Post
i think its clear that the TOS era was marked by a relatively short-lived dalliance in 1960's modernist styling, with little impact on long-term design and aesthetic trends.
No. If you look at other sci-fi productions and sci-fi hardware of the time they all had a very similar aesthetic. In terms of having a clean look. And it's a look I still very mich prefer to some of the overdone detail following in the wake of Star Wars. Don't get me wrong---lots of detail can work within context of a given work, but I find it odd seeing it applied to Star Trek. Even TMP got more detailed than TOS (understandably), but it still wasn't in SW territory.
Pretty sure Largo meant "in universe".
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did. What I neglected to address was this sense of revisionism that has cropped up since TNG. On one level I can see why it happened, but it's also partly the result of TOS being something of an orphan because even while being first it is separated by decades from the spin-off series.
Old August 21 2013, 09:17 PM   #77
Warped9
Admiral

Looking over that 3D Daedalus I find one of his model's strengths is that he wisely abandoned the proportions and very plain lines of MJ's concept sketch rather than accepting them near exactly as the DS9 model did. He used the basic idea as a jumping off point and then put some curves into the design. The more I look at the 3D model the more I like it. I do have a couple of quibbles, though. The support pylons meet at a juncture where the neck meets the support hull. It thus looks like you have to go through Engineering to get into the support hull. It isn't that different from the TOS Enterprise because the interconnecting dorsal is likely under an engineering section of the saucer, but on this Daedalus it seems more apparent. He's also placed the impulse engines behind the spherical forward hull---again similar to the Enterprise layout, but I'm wondering with older bulkier systems how much room in the forward hull this would compromise. His scale seems a bit odd, too, because of all the windows. It works if you go with the idea the average window size being smaller than the those on the Enterprise and thus makes the Daedalus seem larger than it is.

I haven't finalized any colour choices yet and I've still got a ways to go all around, but the underside detailing is coming along.

Old August 21 2013, 10:33 PM   #78
Lego Thrawn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

That new underside detail is looking nice.
Lego Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 11:05 PM   #79
largo
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did. What I neglected to address was this sense of revisionism that has cropped up since TNG. On one level I can see why it happened, but it's also partly the result of TOS being something of an orphan because even while being first it is separated by decades from the spin-off series.
well, when you had even gene "klingons always looked like that" roddenberry doing it...
Old August 21 2013, 11:27 PM   #80
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Looking beautiful!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 12:35 AM   #81
Warped9
Admiral

I'm deviating somewhat from how I initially (several years ago) conceived the asymmetrical detailing. Initially part of the detailing was meant to be more Star Wars like in the amount of robot debris visible, but now while putting this to 3D I've decided to tone down that level of detailing to make the ship look more TOS like. I think I can do that while still having a measure of asymmetrical detailing yet keeping it more subtle.
Old August 23 2013, 02:50 AM   #82
Warped9
Admiral

An update. I think it looks best not to have too much variation of colour underneath.Now I can move on to the remaining few odds-and-ends of detailing before doing the signage and registry.

Old August 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #83
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Some nicely detailed engineering units there, I could see them being modular for easy refitting and replacement as newer versions became available.

Are the larger units part of an earlier warp drive or independent sensor clusters?
Old August 23 2013, 05:06 PM   #84
Warped9
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Some nicely detailed engineering units there, I could see them being modular for easy refitting and replacement as newer versions became available.

Are the larger units part of an earlier warp drive or independent sensor clusters?
I hadn't given it that much detailed thought. My general idea was the aft underside parts (above the nacelle) were engineering systems components while those under the saucer were sensor clusters.

There's sufficient detail if you're viewing the ship from a distance, but if you get up closer, well, then I might go back and add a bit more finer detail---that's easy enough to do after the components are in place.
Old August 24 2013, 09:43 PM   #85
publiusr
Commodore

It is really coming to life. Thanx for the hyper-detail.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 10:11 PM   #86
Avon
Fleet Captain

the underside groovy lined section looks like a giant heat sink to keep the warp core chilled!

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 12:18 AM   #87
Warped9
Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
the underside groovy lined section looks like a giant heat sink to keep the warp core chilled!
What I was really thinking (beside it being a straightforward way of adding detail Was that the grooves along with what other detail I added there could be sufficient to provide interesting and suggestive shadows.
Old August 25 2013, 09:15 AM   #88
Lego Thrawn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very nice update... just the right amount of greebling, plus I like the camera angles you're using for the renders.
Lego Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 09:20 AM   #89
Warped9
Admiral

There is a feature in SketchUp (I think it's called Match Photo) that allows you to manipulate the camera view so that you can match the object to a given scene---basically manipulating the views to create increased forced perceptive to line up with the scene's existing horizon. I've rarely used it as I feel comfortable to do the same thing manually by eye.
Old August 27 2013, 12:13 AM   #90
Warped9
Admiral

Trying to get a better sense of scale. Here's a transparency of the star clipper superimposed over a copy of aridas' very nice Enterprise cross-section. This isn't meant to be exact because we could assume that the clipper's average deck height could likely be less than that of a 23rd century heavy cruiser. But from this I should be able to cobble together a rudimentary cross-section deck layout, and from that I can get more exact exterior dimensions. The comparison is based on a heavy cruiser of 947ft. length.

From this image we can see the star clipper's saucer will be about six or seven decks thick depending on average deck height. If we add in the decks in the aft section then we get a total of about ten or eleven decks. The hangar bay will be about half size (give-or-take) of a heavy cruiser's hangar bay.

As is I've got the ship sized about as small as I'm comfortable with and if necessary I can scale it up a bit more.