Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 16 2013, 03:22 AM   #226
JD
Admiral

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

I enjoyed this one. It was nice to get another episode that deals with Fry confronting what he left behind when he came to the future.
Old August 16 2013, 12:42 PM   #227
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Emh wrote: View Post
Beautiful. That was Futurama at its best. Good to see one more episode like this before the final hoorah.
Agreed.

That was a great episode.

A Sci-Fi cartoon that can make you tear up. This is (one reason) why I love Futurama.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 01:34 PM   #228
Christopher
Writer

"Murder on the Planet Express" was pretty good, though it crossed a couple of lines I wasn't comfortable with, like the thing with the kidney and what Fry and Bender do in the climax. Although that climactic act was pretty well set up by the preceding events, and I'm not sure a court would convict them, given that they had every reason to fear for their lives, and McMasters rather stupidly failed to prove that the others were all right (even though he could've just opened the door behind him to do so). Maybe he was expecting them to trust him?

So yeah, it's a very black comedy, even more than usual for this show, but it works pretty well. And I loved the twists and subversions in the monster reveal scenes, especially the three consecutive Professors. Although "Friender" was completely bizarre.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 12:28 AM   #229
Yoda
Rear Admiral

The line crossings were for the most part the only funny parts of the ep.
Old August 23 2013, 02:05 AM   #230
JD
Admiral

Damn, I didn't see it on TV Guide and forgot it was on. I'll have to remember to watch it next week.
Old August 23 2013, 09:20 AM   #231
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Same here. Again.
Old August 23 2013, 06:16 PM   #232
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Pretty good albeit a bit morbid (kidney, McMasters killing), but in an odd way, it fit well with the rest of the episode. What I liked the best was how the episode took a predictable twist (the whole situation was a trust-building exercise) and turned it on its head with the shapeshifter gags (best part: "One of us could be the bad creature!" "Is it me, maybe? Awww...").

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:36 PM   #233
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Damn, I didn't see it on TV Guide and forgot it was on. I'll have to remember to watch it next week.
I have an app on my tablet that lets me know when shows are coming on. It seems to help me alot
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:17 AM   #234
JD
Admiral

I've been thinking about starting to put some of these shows I always forget in my phone to remind be, but something like that would probably work better for me.
Old August 24 2013, 09:26 AM   #235
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, I put stuff in my calendar and then never look at my calendar. I need an app.
Old August 24 2013, 02:21 PM   #236
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Murder on the Planet Express" was pretty good, though it crossed a couple of lines I wasn't comfortable with, like the thing with the kidney and what Fry and Bender do in the climax. Although that climactic act was pretty well set up by the preceding events, and I'm not sure a court would convict them, given that they had every reason to fear for their lives, and McMasters rather stupidly failed to prove that the others were all right (even though he could've just opened the door behind him to do so). Maybe he was expecting them to trust him?

So yeah, it's a very black comedy, even more than usual for this show, but it works pretty well. And I loved the twists and subversions in the monster reveal scenes, especially the three consecutive Professors. Although "Friender" was completely bizarre.
I agree. It was a bit off in tone from the usual fare. But still, it was enjoyable. Not the best of the season, but not the worst.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 03:03 PM   #237
Christopher
Writer

^It's good for a show to stretch itself and try variations on its format, if they're legitimately creative variations like a dark-comedy horror story, rather than stupid variations like "Let's do parodies of 1980s Saturday morning cartoons even though that has nothing to do with the premise of a show set 1000 years in the future!"

Old August 24 2013, 03:15 PM   #238
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I thought Murder on the Planet Express was a bit of return to form. This season has been real hit-and-miss with me with some episodes being just downright "off" and funnyless. I haven't checked who wrote which episodes but some of them have not been up to snuff at all.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:53 PM   #239
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Enjoyable episode, although not quite as good as the last couple of episodes. Emilia Clarke was as charming as I'd hope and it was nice to see Zoidberg get a happy ending for once.

The B-plot's climax was a little crude for my taste, but I did enjoy the Tonya Harding gag.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:11 PM   #240
Christopher
Writer

Not bad, but not great. It felt problematical, continuity-wise. Yes, there have been gags in the past about Zoidberg having poor hygiene or not smelling good, but there's never before been any indication that his scent was literally intolerable. Also, since when was he so competent at treating humans? Plus they ignored everything that "Why Must I Be a Crustacean In Love?" established about Decopodian mating behavior. They basically rewrote his history as a character to fit the story they wanted to tell, and that doesn't really work for me.