RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 752
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 22 2013, 06:17 PM   #226
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: common misconceptions about Voyager

^True, but there is no reason they couldn't develop more of rest of the crew of VOY. Even O'Brien maanaged to get some development in TNG. And the Ent-D no doubt hada larger crew and crew members could transfer in and out.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:20 PM   #227
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

KaraBear wrote: View Post
well yeah, with the nature of Voyager being stuck in the DQ they couldn't really have recurring characters like that, not like Dukat and such.

though I would have loved to have Seska pop in on occasion to cause some trouble
Ideally, there should have been more Seska--not Cardassians in hiding, but people who fundamentally believed differently and vocally about what was needed to get home. It would have made sense if parts of the crew were more factionalized around different issues, which in later seasons could have revolved around how the crew collaborated with/confronted the Borg.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:25 PM   #228
KaraBear
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Naturally you can't have a singular villain or antagonist, but they could've used people like Carey, Sam Wildman, Haren and the such more often. In fact given there are only 150 people on the ship, it would make perfect sense that you're seeing these people regularly even if they don't have a major role in any given episode.
there were a few people I would love to see pop up once in a while. Though you did see Sam wildman here and there as far as the 5th season.

I forget the name of that bajoran girl, she kept messing things up. I'd love to see more of her, she was adorable
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:26 PM   #229
R. Star
Rear Admiral

^
You're thinking of Celes.

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Ideally, there should have been more Seska--not Cardassians in hiding, but people who fundamentally believed differently and vocally about what was needed to get home. It would have made sense if parts of the crew were more factionalized around different issues, which in later seasons could have revolved around how the crew collaborated with/confronted the Borg.
Yeah, Prime Factors was a good example of that. Just an average episode, but the collaboration between the Maquis crewmen Torres and Seska, the family man who wants to get home Carey, and the logical Vulcan doing what his superior and friend cannot Tuvok was good stuff. I'd have liked to see more of that.
Old August 22 2013, 06:30 PM   #230
MacLeod
Admiral

Isn't this part of the problem, a portion of the audiance wanted to see that character conflict regarding how we get home more at the forefront than it was. Another portion didn't.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:31 PM   #231
KaraBear
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Isn't this part of the problem, a portion of the audiance wanted to see that character conflict regarding how we get home more at the forefront than it was. Another portion didn't.
that goes for everything
someone wants more of this, someone else wants more of that it doesn't matte what the subject is
Old August 22 2013, 06:32 PM   #232
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well, when the founding premise of the show is a divided crew forced to work together, yes... I expect some conflict and drama. Instead we just have the Maquis virtually completely assimilated into Starfleet by the second season. If I wanted a show where everyone got along and was happy go lucky as they explored the galaxy, I'd put in a TNG DVD.
Old August 22 2013, 06:33 PM   #233
KaraBear
Captain

^

Yeah, Prime Factors was a good example of that. Just an average episode, but the collaboration between the Maquis crewmen Torres and Seska, the family man who wants to get home Carey, and the logical Vulcan doing what his superior and friend cannot Tuvok was good stuff. I'd have liked to see more of that.
I liked that it was Tuvok who worked with them. Though breaking the rules of an alien culture seemed like something he wouldn't do
Old August 22 2013, 06:34 PM   #234
R. Star
Rear Admiral

^

I liked that it was Tuvok who worked with them. Though breaking the rules of an alien culture seemed like something he wouldn't do
Yeah that was a solid surprise when Tuvok walked in and we were thinking... busted... and he says, give me the goods, I'll do it.
Old August 22 2013, 06:34 PM   #235
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that because some didn't want infighting within the crew that they wouldn't accept at least some infighting. There need not have been a civil war, like the one Gaeta led in BSG. However, there should have been more of a political process as well as deal making in order for Janeway to achieve her more controversial plans.

Regardless, there was always the possibility that the audience would follow where the producers led.
Old August 22 2013, 06:37 PM   #236
KaraBear
Captain

Well, when the founding premise of the show is a divided crew forced to work together, yes... I expect some conflict and drama. Instead we just have the Maquis virtually completely assimilated into Starfleet by the second season. If I wanted a show where everyone got along and was happy go lucky as they explored the galaxy, I'd put in a TNG DVD.
ok to play devil's advocate....what would be accomplished if there was constant conflict? What would the maquis crew accomlish by butting heads all the time? they're still stuck in the DQ

even members of the maquis are still good peole and would probably still try to help others, would still probably respond to distress calls and such. That's one of the main things about Star Trek in general, people are enlightened, unselfish.

I think mainly all of the people on that ship knew they were stuc in a bad situation and made the best of it
Old August 22 2013, 06:38 PM   #237
KaraBear
Captain

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that because some didn't want infighting within the crew that they wouldn't accept at least some infighting. There need not have been a civil war, like the one Gaeta led in BSG. However, there should have been more of a political process as well as deal making in order for Janeway to achieve her more controversial plans.

Regardless, there was always the possibility that the audience would follow where the producers led.
but they all agreed to be a starfleet crew, they agreed to follow starfleet rules and regualtions. Do starfleet captains take votes? do they make deals with the crew? They issue orders and expect them to be followed
Old August 22 2013, 06:39 PM   #238
KaraBear
Captain

^

Yeah that was a solid surprise when Tuvok walked in and we were thinking... busted... and he says, give me the goods, I'll do it.
That was great! he walkd in and they all pooped their pants
Old August 22 2013, 06:40 PM   #239
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

but they all agreed to be a starfleet crew, they agreed to follow starfleet rules and regualtions. Do starfleet captains take votes? do they make deals with the crew? They issue orders and expect them to be followed
Did that agreement need to hold absolutely and indefinitely? Would impatience and disagreement not arise in spite of the Janeway-Chakotay pact?
Old August 22 2013, 06:44 PM   #240
KaraBear
Captain

Did that agreement need to hold absolutely and indefinitely? Would impatience and disagreement not arise in spite of the Janeway-Chakotay pact?
I'm sure people disagreed with some of her orders, just as I'm sure people disagreed with Picard's orders on occasion too. but impatience...yea they're stuck in the DQ, I'm sure they were impatient to get home and Janeway did her best to try to make that happen