RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Posts: 5,430,197
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 532
Newest member: Sb118_James


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2013, 06:11 PM   #4621
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Must be horrible for you having to hear about people liking different things . For four years, no less.
I think it's horrible for the people who bitch about it for four years non-stop because they have nothing better going in their lives. For me, it's merely an annoyance.

I'm not big on Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but I don't need to go into those forums to tell people how much I dislike their show at every opportunity. I'm more interested in talking about things I actually like. YMMV.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:13 PM   #4622
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Noname Given wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
Funny, considering George Lucas could have said the same to Pegg regarding his hatred of The Phantom Menace. The shoe is on the other foot now.
Thank you!
Except for the fact general audiences and critics (which was NOT the case for STID) ALSO panned The Phantom Menace.
Let me get this straight... it's only acceptable to criticise films that have a low score on Rotten Tomatoes?



BillJ wrote:
I think it's horrible for the people who bitch about it for four years non-stop because they have nothing better going in their lives. For me, it's merely an annoyance.
These people just answered a poll. A poll that went viral, and has caused the wheels of Abrams Trek to fall off in a rather amusingly public way. People can't put a lid on this shit, it's viral and out there now.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:14 PM   #4623
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Tell that to Simon Pegg, who feels it is acceptable to hurl abuse at people for merely ranking STID as their least favourite Star Trek film in a poll.
Such 'abuse' is richly deserved when the facts about the poll come out such as:

- It was a poll of exactly 100 people at a Con where multiple thousands of fans were attending.

- 'Galaxy Quest' wasn't added to the poll by said fans as a 'Star Trek Film', it was put on the poll by the author of the resulting article.

- The author wasn't interested in writing an honest article, it's pretty clear he knew what he want from the git go; and probably took the 100 responses that fit his agenda.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:17 PM   #4624
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DalekJim wrote: View Post
These people just answered a poll. A poll that went viral, and has caused the wheels of Abrams Trek to fall off in a rather amusingly public way. People can't put a lid on this shit, it's viral and out there now.
It has been so damaging that it is the number one film on iTunes here in the States and looks like it will do mega-business when the Blu-ray/DVD comes out.

But I can see where you might assume it caused the "wheels to fall off".
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:19 PM   #4625
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Thank you!
Except for the fact general audiences and critics (which was NOT the case for STID) ALSO panned The Phantom Menace.
Let me get this straight... it's only acceptable to criticise films that have a low score on Rotten Tomatoes?



BillJ wrote:
I think it's horrible for the people who bitch about it for four years non-stop because they have nothing better going in their lives. For me, it's merely an annoyance.
These people just answered a poll. A poll that went viral, and has caused the wheels of Abrams Trek to fall off in a rather amusingly public way.
Not at all - my point is:

- Simon Pegg is calling that poll bullshit. (As are most Star trek fans - just look at the responses to the article.)

- All other evidence (Talking to fans directly; and OTHER wider ranging fan polls (IE more than just 100 people); say otherwise.

Again, the response to Phantom Menace by fans and critics, etc. do support that that film is not highly thought of - and not just appearing that way on one very small sample poll.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:20 PM   #4626
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Such 'abuse' is richly deserved when the facts about the poll come out such as:

- It was a poll of exactly 100 people at a Con where multiple thousands of fans were attending.
The fact only a hundred people were polled gives a movie star the right to publicly abuse them all verbally?

I don't buy it at all, so I feel zero regret in publicly calling out Simon Pegg's Scotty performance to be fucking shit . What a douche.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:30 PM   #4627
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
Such 'abuse' is richly deserved when the facts about the poll come out such as:

- It was a poll of exactly 100 people at a Con where multiple thousands of fans were attending.
The fact only a hundred people were polled gives a movie star the right to publicly abuse them all verbally?

I don't buy it at all, so I feel zero regret in publicly calling out Simon Pegg's Scotty performance to be fucking shit . What a douche.
Abuse...that's the world to use. Man, you're good at hyperbole.

It's annoying because stories like that farce of a poll seem to reinforce the public notion that most Trekkies hate these films, which is not the case. It's only a loud, small, obnoxious group.
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:38 PM   #4628
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
It's annoying because stories like that farce of a poll seem to reinforce the public notion that most Trekkies hate these films, which is not the case. It's only a loud, small, obnoxious group.
I think you need to care less about what the public think, you'll be happier and less stressed out.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 08:06 PM   #4629
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Heres the thing I don't care if someone likes the movie or not I just don't want to hear about how much they hate it non stop for another 4 f@#king years just because they think their the second coming of Roger Ebert or something (which they aren't).
Must be horrible for you having to hear about people liking different things . For four years, no less.
Again I don't give two craps about what they like or don't like because their honestly not that important in the grand scheme of things.

I just want them to get that going on about it for 4 years is pathetic and frankly annoying as hell.


DalekJim wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
It's annoying because stories like that farce of a poll seem to reinforce the public notion that most Trekkies hate these films, which is not the case. It's only a loud, small, obnoxious group.
I think you need to care less about what the public think, you'll be happier and less stressed out.
I think you need to take your own advice.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 08:58 PM   #4630
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
It's annoying because stories like that farce of a poll seem to reinforce the public notion that most Trekkies hate these films, which is not the case. It's only a loud, small, obnoxious group.
I think you need to care less about what the public think, you'll be happier and less stressed out.
I think you need to take your own advice.
I think we should probably move away from dispensing personal advice at this point, and get back to discussing the movie. The poll already has a thread of its own, and discussion thereof may be conducted in that thread without the necessity of it being alluded to here as well.
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:09 AM   #4631
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry, reality is a bit more complex than that. Some movies display a lack of originality and attempt to sell the audience rehash of better movies they've already seen; others don't.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:24 AM   #4632
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Out There...That Away
View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Set Harth wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry, reality is a bit more complex than that. Some movies display a lack of originality and attempt to sell the audience rehash of better movies they've already seen; others don't.
Actually it doesn't need to be anymore complex than that. Did it entertain you: yes or no? Anything beyond that is a matter of clarification of an opinion.

You (general sense of the word) can apply whatever metric you want, however you want. And you might have an opinion that is shared by a great many people. But the ultimate decision of whether or not a movie is good or bad boils down to the individual and needs to be no more complex than a simple yes or no question.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
"I've made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that." The Doctor (Deep Breath)
| Zombie Bots From Mars! |
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:46 AM   #4633
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

To be fair, I do get annoyed when people rag on incessantly about the Star Wars prequels too. I recognize the flaws in those movies, but I can't believe people are still beating that dead horse more than 13 years after the Phantom Menace came out. They're not perfect, but they're not that bad.

There's just this tendency...I guess it's their passion, that make some fans so genuinely offended at a less than perfect movie. And Star Trek fans are passionate. Those who hate the film have been complaining about it everywhere, from Youtube, to each and every one of the pop culture websites I go to, to Facebook. They're not the majority by any means, but they're very loud. I'm afraid it's something I really don't understand.

Now as for the my rating of Into Darkness, I need to see the film again. I have a suspicion that I like it better than Star Trek 2009, which has been one of my favorite Trek films, but I can't tell until I get a rewatch.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:47 AM   #4634
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry, reality is a bit more complex than that. Some movies display a lack of originality and attempt to sell the audience rehash of better movies they've already seen; others don't.
Actually it doesn't need to be anymore complex than that.
But it is. I'm not talking about what it "needs" to be, whatever that means, but what it is. It is more complex than just a bunch of people who were entertained and a bunch of people who weren't entertained, with no particular reason for any of it.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:21 AM   #4635
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Out There...That Away
View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Set Harth wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post

Sorry, reality is a bit more complex than that. Some movies display a lack of originality and attempt to sell the audience rehash of better movies they've already seen; others don't.
Actually it doesn't need to be anymore complex than that.
But it is. I'm not talking about what it "needs" to be, whatever that means, but what it is. It is more complex than just a bunch of people who were entertained and a bunch of people who weren't entertained, with no particular reason for any of it.
Again, it isn't more complex than that. Not everyone needs to analyze the "Why" behind whether they like a movie or not. Sometimes, "I just do" or "I don't" is reason enough.

It's great fodder for a messageboard, but on average people that go see movies for entertainment aren't worried about anything beyond "Am I enjoying this"
__________________
- SeerSGB -
"I've made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that." The Doctor (Deep Breath)
| Zombie Bots From Mars! |
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.