RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 450
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old July 16 2009, 12:40 AM   #256
RapidNadion
Commander

Re: Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

You have another waiting reader in me, FWIW, Praetor.
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 02:00 AM   #257
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I just started my new job last Monday, but it's not nearly as crappy as my last job (or being unemployed) so once I get readjusted to the schedule, I am indeed planning to come back to this.

librarytrekker78 wrote: View Post
Bumping thread and patiently waiting for more of the Excelsior Class Tech Manual from Praetor.
Thanks very much.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Just finished reading the historical background...amazing stuff and it fits nicely into the movies and books. President Sulu? Is that from a novel or your own creation? Either way I like Hikaru's fate. I'll be going over the technical data over the next couple of days. Are you planning on doing something similar for other ship classes or just focusing on Excelsior right now?
Thanks, very much. If you find questions of the technical sort, please do ask them as it will give me reason to think about this, which will in turn make me want to work on it more.

I believe the idea of President Sulu came from one of the novels, though I don't recall which one. Originally I wanted to leave Sulu's fate ambiguous since it wasn't canon or anything, but the dramatic opportunity presented itself rather organically to have the ship retired as he died, and sort of link them, and it was too good to pass up. (Also, I somewhat hate the idea of all the TOS crew either being "immortal" or staying in Starfleet their whole lives.)

And, I would like to do something similar for some other classes, though perhaps not quite to the deckplans extent.

RapidNadion wrote: View Post
You have another waiting reader in me, FWIW, Praetor.
It's worth a lot, RapidNadion.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 07:27 AM   #258
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

thedude wrote: View Post
Ouch. I had an HP laptop die on me last year, they refused to fix it, so now I'm leading a class action against them for a bunch of money :-) Good luck!
If it's the series with the twisty screen that turns into a tablet, count me in, too. Wireless went dead first, then the whole thing wouldn't power on.
Old July 16 2009, 07:32 AM   #259
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Praetor, I really like this project and am looking forward to the end result.

The only suggestions I have are to:

1) Lighten up on poor Styles. It doesn't seem proper for the writers of a tech manual to be criticizing a Captain's career. But, to account for his disappearance and Sulu's commission of the ship... perhaps Styles was killed by way of an accident related to the transwarp failure, leading to the project being shut down?

2) Trim down the Ambassador and Galaxy stuff. This ain't their tech manual

Sorry if someone's mentioned these things already, I more or less skimmed past most people's posts besides yours.

Edit: One more suggestion... I'd replace the 'federation news service' as just a general press corps. The press shouldn't be entwined with government in a free society.

Last edited by Anticitizen; July 16 2009 at 08:17 AM.
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 05:26 PM   #260
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

Styles and the Excelsior between TSFS to TUC are in Forged in Fire.
Old August 20 2013, 07:37 PM   #261
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I re-read this stuff after reading Praetor's sequel thread about the Excelsior size HERE. A shame we weren't able to see more after this, but I'm happy we got what we did.

You know what though? I think the "history book" of the Excelsior class could be finalized and published as exactly that - a biographical recount of the ship and her sisters, through the major points of her development and active service. It's basically written that way anyway, albeit with a number of "personal" perspectives that don't really fit into a tech manual.

The best part is that re-doing this as a history book would be relatively simple, as most of the work is already done. I would present most of the text as-is, but add the context that it's actually a work of historical research, much like pretty much any history text you've ever read. I've recently read a couple books about stuff like the building of the RMS Titanic, or about the experiences of various WWII fighter pilots. The only real thing separating books like that with what Praetor has written is the illustration of the more factual points with quotes or "interviews" with the people involved.

For example, "excerpts" of interviews with the "author" and various people involved could be used to provide a more personal look at the development of the ship. What did Admiral Morrow think about the justification of the cost of the Excelsior, in his own words? What did Dr. Wazzisname say about the promise of transwarp drive in his speech at the Starfleet Propulsion Labs fall mixer? And just what did the very "vocal" opponent of transwarp, Montgomery Scott, say to the supporters? Heck, you could even include now-declassified excerpts from officers or personal logs of various people involved, thus finally giving a reason for having those things in the first place. :P

Here's what I dreamed up over lunch today:

Since the conclusion of the Romulan War, two polarized elements of Starfleet had long fought over the existence of Starfleet warships. Starfleet had been initially founded under the auspices of peaceful exploration and defense, but proponents of a more militaristic Starfleet argued that the narrow victory of the Romulan war had proven the need for dedicated battleships.

"In one hundred years we have developed starships which are larger, faster, and more capable than ever before. We have also developed tools capable of not only scientific, humanitarian, but also limitless military application. And yet, these tools are rarely seen aboard our flagships, and limited only to experimental use and deployment, in the name of a 'peace' that only continues to become more fragile as we continue to explore the galaxy. We have the ships. We have the technology. Why do the two never mix?" - Commander Lance Cartwright, address to the Admiralty, 2251
The Opponents countered that such ships would only truly be useful in the event of another full-scale war, and that multi-purpose starships could be well-equipped to maintain the peace. Initially, Starfleet operated battleships that were a part of its leftover Romulan War fleet, but gradually the costs of keeping these in operation outweighed their apparent need, and newer multi-puprose ships easily replaced their tactical roles. Militaristic proponents continued to press the need for more dedicated warships, and opponents continued to dispute them.

"Humanity and its allies in the Federation are a gestalt of intellect and physical capacity that together create things that no single species ever could. However, history knows that our ability to create is only exceeded by our ability to destroy, and so the principles of the Federation are our only true rulebook as we build ever better starships to reach out to new worlds in peace." - Dr. Larry Marvick, "The Constitution of our Constitution"
This argument would rage for decades, with neither side truly gaining any leverage until the 2250s. By that time, the Klingon danger loomed heavily, and many of Starfleet’s most prominent officers began to speak publicly about the need for a new Dreadnought class to meet any potential Threat attacks. Politically motivated budget cuts initially impaired any such major development projects, but eventually the movement gained enough momentum that serious fears began to emerge amongst the general populace about the safety of the Federation.
Such were my thoughts in re-reading this very cool thread. Thanks Praetor for writing what you have. I hope you find the time to do more someday, on this or any other ship.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:50 PM   #262
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Zombie thread!

Sir, you and I should talk. This fella's definitely on the backburner, but I have been wanting to revisit it. In fact, that's part of the purpose of the other thread, to lay the footwork.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old August 21 2013, 04:02 PM   #263
SicOne
Commodore

Glad to see the Excelsior TM thread resurrected!
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:15 PM   #264
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I'm just amazed that you're still alive!
Old August 21 2013, 06:19 PM   #265
Praetor
Vice Admiral

"I've been dead before."

Thanks guys.
Old August 22 2013, 12:14 AM   #266
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

I know I'm a little late to the party (I have an alibi, I wasn't on the board for a long time!) but I did read through your posts and I enjoyed them.

If I had a minor, minor quibble is that "Tokogawa" isn't really a Japanese surname (the syllabic emphasises make for an awkward name with the To and Ko) but easily fixed by swapping the o for a u.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:07 AM   #267
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Thanks! I borrowed that name from another story about Excelsior. I'm not super married to it. I didn't know it was a fake. So Tokugawa would be acceptable then?

At some point in the near future, I'll have some revisions to post.
Old August 22 2013, 09:37 AM   #268
Lego Thrawn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm a bit late to the game, but this is an awesome thread, and awesome work!
Lego Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 03:33 PM   #269
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Thanks very much.
Old August 22 2013, 04:43 PM   #270
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I remember this old thread! IIRC, I think there was also a Constellation Tech Manual in the same vein being worked on a while back too. These things were extremely detailed and very comprehensive in their documentation of details, taking much of the source information from the original filming miniatures. I miss the days of the old fan-made tech manuals. I truly hope that these things can find new steam once again.