Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.33%
A 161 21.61%
A- 100 13.42%
B+ 82 11.01%
B 58 7.79%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.37%
C 38 5.10%
C- 25 3.36%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22 2013, 10:34 AM   #4606
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Tosk wrote: View Post
Funny, considering George Lucas could have said the same to Pegg regarding his hatred of The Phantom Menace. The shoe is on the other foot now.
Thank you!
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:05 PM   #4607
Tom Servo
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Funny, considering George Lucas could have said the same to Pegg regarding his hatred of The Phantom Menace. The shoe is on the other foot now.
Thank you!
The difference is, unlike the prequels, these flms have been pretty universally praised by the film review community. Heck looking at the the audience approval ratings on various sites, they're all sitting at a very high level as well. The criticism comes from a very loud select section of the fanbase who thinks that their view of what Star Trek should be is the reality of what it is, and anything that doesn't meet their narrowly defined view is crap. Pegg is absolutely right. If someone doesn't like the film because they didn't enjoy it, then they have their right to. It's the people who claim, "Well its just a summer blockbuster, it's not Star Trek", while having no actual authority over what is and isn't, that he is talking to I figure.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:18 PM   #4608
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
The difference is, unlike the prequels, these flms have been pretty universally praised by the film review community.
That's true...and that makes Pegg seem like even more of a baby because of it. A hundred people voted it worst, boo-friggin'-hoo. A lot of people loved it and it made a butt-load of money, so who cares?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:26 PM   #4609
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Simon Pegg has also called Babylon 5 shit.

Total hypocrisy.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:54 PM   #4610
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
The criticism comes from a very loud select section of the fanbase who thinks that their view of what Star Trek should be is the reality of what it is, and anything that doesn't meet their narrowly defined view is crap.
That better defines criticism of STXI. STID, aka "we gotta do Khan because we're out of ideas and people just want to see their childhoods raped again" is a different animal.
Old August 22 2013, 03:06 PM   #4611
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
STID, aka "we gotta do Khan because we're out of ideas and people just want to see their childhoods raped again" is a different animal.
Did you actually think before you posted that? Do you have any idea how childish that sounds? It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old August 22 2013, 03:42 PM   #4612
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Tell that to Simon Pegg, who feels it is acceptable to hurl abuse at people for merely ranking STID as their least favourite Star Trek film in a poll.
Old August 22 2013, 04:06 PM   #4613
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Maybe Simon Pegg is just annoyed that these people will never shut up about how much they hate the movie not matter how much time passes, as well as the fact that they will just randomly bring said hatred up in conversations that have nothing to do with said movie.

Because I know I am.

I mean don't these people have lives or something.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:10 PM   #4614
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I suppose it comes down to which you think is more morally acceptable out of not liking a movie, or yelling abuse at people for not liking a movie.

I don't even rate STID as the worst Trek film, I think it's a largely passable, mindless runaround that I'd certainly rather watch again than Generations. Doesn't stop people having the right to claim Generations as the best and STID as the worst without being shouted down though.
Old August 22 2013, 04:18 PM   #4615
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Maybe Simon Pegg is just annoyed that these people will never shut up about how much they hate the movie not matter how much time passes, as well as the fact that they will just randomly bring said hatred up in conversations that have nothing to do with said movie.

Because I know I am.

I mean don't these people have lives or something.
You'd think they did, but apparently not.
Old August 22 2013, 04:41 PM   #4616
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I suppose it comes down to which you think is more morally acceptable out of not liking a movie,
And there in lies the problem, ascribing a moral imperative to your OPINION.

Heres the thing I don't care if someone likes the movie or not I just don't want to hear about how much they hate it non stop for another 4 f@#king years just because they think their the second coming of Roger Ebert or something (which they aren't).

Look no one is going to be converted to the haters side, they are just being annoying.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:18 PM   #4617
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less.
Tell that to Simon Pegg, who feels it is acceptable to hurl abuse at people for merely ranking STID as their least favourite Star Trek film in a poll.
Or he's just saying what a lot of the rest of us are saying.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:50 PM   #4618
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Ah, that makes it perfectly acceptable then.

Heres the thing I don't care if someone likes the movie or not I just don't want to hear about how much they hate it non stop for another 4 f@#king years just because they think their the second coming of Roger Ebert or something (which they aren't).
Must be horrible for you having to hear about people liking different things . For four years, no less.
Old August 22 2013, 06:08 PM   #4619
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Thank you!
Except for the fact general audiences and critics (which was NOT the case for STID) ALSO panned The Phantom Menace.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:09 PM   #4620
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Ah, that makes it perfectly acceptable then.

Must be horrible for you having to hear about people liking different things . For four years, no less.
Yes it is acceptable. Just cause he's an a public figure doesn't mean he has any requirement to express his opinion in a sugar coated way.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote