Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 20 2013, 02:49 PM   #46
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

He lived a pretty unextraordinary life before this, and he takes this perverse pride in the quality of his meth. He feels like he's accomplishing something important. But I like that now (early S4) it's going back to providing for his family. I felt like he was a real asshole for a long time there in S3 when he was fighting with Skyler, so I'm glad they're working together again.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 03:00 PM   #47
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm not sure I would call Walter's and Skylar's relationship in season 4 working together, so much as Skylar has surrendered his will.

She's got full blown Stockholm Syndrome.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 03:25 PM   #48
cultcross
Say my name...

Yeah, Mr Light, I'm not convinced you are interpreting the dynamic of season 4 in the most common way!
Old August 21 2013, 03:32 AM   #49
Mr Light
Admiral

Well I'm only 4 eps in, but she's actively working with him on the car wash thing and coming up with ideas for it. She's volunteering her involvement. It's a sight better than her calling the cops on Walt just because he's in their house.

Old August 21 2013, 11:26 AM   #50
Pingfah
Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post

I'm still waiting for the cancer to come back. I think it being in remission for over a season was a mistake as it robs his original motivation from him. ...
That was the whole point though - he hasn't had his original excuse for ages, but he still does it. Part of the genius of the show is that there is no gimmick or mechanism which allows us access to Walts feelings, so his real motivation remains a mystery. What is he really doing all this for?
He is portrayed as an extremely prideful man though, who reacts with great anger at the slightest hint that anybody may be getting the better of him. That pride was probably always there, but just directed into more benign feelings of responsibility towards his family. Then it was directed into the quality of his product, now it is directed simply into being the most feared, respected, and powerful man he can become.

I think his arrogance is primarily what drives him now, and it has been that way since fairly early on in the show. Any noble intentions were washed away as he became more ashamed of the weak, mundane man he used to be, and more aware of the fact that he loves being the bad guy, and loves being the winner. Or more accurately, hates being the loser.
Old August 21 2013, 12:51 PM   #51
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Pingfah wrote: View Post

I'm still waiting for the cancer to come back. I think it being in remission for over a season was a mistake as it robs his original motivation from him. ...
That was the whole point though - he hasn't had his original excuse for ages, but he still does it. Part of the genius of the show is that there is no gimmick or mechanism which allows us access to Walts feelings, so his real motivation remains a mystery. What is he really doing all this for?
He is portrayed as an extremely prideful man though, who reacts with great anger at the slightest hint that anybody may be getting the better of him. That pride was probably always there, but just directed into more benign feelings of responsibility towards his family. Then it was directed into the quality of his product, now it is directed simply into being the most feared, respected, and powerful man he can become.

I think his arrogance is primarily what drives him now, and it has been that way since fairly early on in the show. Any noble intentions were washed away as he became more ashamed of the weak, mundane man he used to be, and more aware of the fact that he loves being the bad guy, and loves being the winner. Or more accurately, hates being the loser.
I think the scene early in season 1 where the bullies were taking the piss out of Walter Jr. and he left then came back and battered them is the exact moment that happened
Old August 21 2013, 11:36 PM   #52
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

His motivations are clear to me. He wants to be the archetypal man, like a character from a Sergio Leone movie.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:25 AM   #53
Mr Light
Admiral

Just started 4X8. Fourth season is by far my favorite, I find the story of working under Gus and Mike a lot more involving than the previous premises, Walt is a more sympathetic character this year, I like the relationship with his wife now, Jesse is a better character... I like the increased screen time of Saul, Gus, and Mike, my favorite characters...

Old August 22 2013, 02:48 AM   #54
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Just started 4X8. Fourth season is by far my favorite, I find the story of working under Gus and Mike a lot more involving than the previous premises, Walt is a more sympathetic character this year, I like the relationship with his wife now, Jesse is a better character... I like the increased screen time of Saul, Gus, and Mike, my favorite characters...

You are the exact opposite of every other fan of the show I have seen and it's like a case study reading what you are saying.
Old August 22 2013, 03:14 AM   #55
Mr Light
Admiral

I have unique perspectives on things

What I really like are "evil" characters who are good and noble... that's what I gravitate towards.

Old August 22 2013, 09:43 AM   #56
cultcross
Say my name...

What I really like are "evil" characters who are good and noble... that's what I gravitate towards.
And I think you're inserting that into the show because you like that sort of thing, if I'm honest. Season 4 Walt is far from noble, and his relationship with his wife is a deeply abusive one. He is becoming a monster, to the extent that even those who were his allies in crime are beginning to fear him.
Old August 22 2013, 09:58 AM   #57
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

And I think you're inserting that into the show because you like that sort of thing, if I'm honest. Season 4 Walt is far from noble, and his relationship with his wife is a deeply abusive one. He is becoming a monster, to the extent that even those who were his allies in crime are beginning to fear him.
Yeah, season 4 is the point at which Walt is at his least relatable. The point at which he is a monster. An Abusive, child poisoning, spouse raping, murdering monster.
Old August 22 2013, 10:00 AM   #58
Pingfah
Admiral

I am astonished anybody would call S4 Walt a sympathetic character. I don't mean to be rude, but it's like he's watching a totally different show. Almost everything Walt does by this point is motivated entirely by self-interest and even malice.

I simply can't see how anybody could read the show like this.
Old August 22 2013, 12:42 PM   #59
Mr Light
Admiral

I think I just read a spoiler.... well I have four eps left in the season I'm just saying he's a better character than he was in S2-3 when I was getting disconnected from the show. He just said in the last one I saw "everything I do is for my family".

Old August 22 2013, 12:56 PM   #60
Pingfah
Admiral

Oh well, if Walt says it, it must be true.