Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 22 2013, 04:51 AM   #211
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: common misconceptions about Voyager

Not really. Jazzstick stated a misconception he had about Neelix in post 203 above.
Old August 22 2013, 05:39 AM   #212
Brit
Captain

Lighthammer wrote: View Post
What's this thread about again? I think it has skewed far away from what the topic was 3 pages ago =(.
Meaning no disrespect, but why does it matter. Great conversations always move along in strange and wondrous ways. I am a mod on another forum, and an administrator on still another and I never understood that the only conversation on a thread had to relate to the first topic.

I grew up in a family that would talk about anything and everything, even as a kid I was allowed to join in. It's like you hear others quote ever so often, "It isn't the destination, it's the journey." To me every conversation is a journey, you may be informed, humored or even enraged but it's all good.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:58 AM   #213
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

What's this thread about again? I think it has skewed far away from what the topic was 3 pages ago =(.
As we all know from reading it so many times Voyager abandoned it's solid Trek premise and spent seven years jacked into it's own lala land of reset buttons and absurdities.

This forum shows its love by doing likewise.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:09 AM   #214
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

Brit wrote: View Post
Meaning no disrespect, but why does it matter. Great conversations always move along in strange and wondrous ways. I am a mod on another forum, and an administrator on still another and I never understood that the only conversation on a thread had to relate to the first topic.

I grew up in a family that would talk about anything and everything, even as a kid I was allowed to join in. It's like you hear others quote ever so often, "It isn't the destination, it's the journey." To me every conversation is a journey, you may be informed, humored or even enraged but it's all good.
I was enjoying where the conversation was playing around with several pages back (not that this is about me, mind you) and been looking for a place to dive back in, but it just hasn't seemed to revolved back to Voyager-esque escapades!

Heck, I wouldn't necessarily say a few pages back, it was really even on Voyager misconceptions anymore, but almost dived into Trek universe misconceptions, which was getting interesting --- at least I thought so!
Old August 22 2013, 06:12 AM   #215
teacake
Admiral

You know Janeway murdered Tuvix.

Go ahead and reply to older posts or just start posting what is on your mind in relation to what you were enjoying. People will respond.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 22 2013, 06:29 AM   #216
R. Star
Rear Admiral

They will respond! Poor, poor Tuvix!
Old August 22 2013, 06:34 AM   #217
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Or you could really fire things up by saying something like, "I always thought [character] was gay."
Old August 22 2013, 07:06 AM   #218
teacake
Admiral

[all]

You know what would be cool, if you could get out of being trapped in tedious conversations about people's renovations and diets and crap by saying, "you know Janeway murdered Tuvix."

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 22 2013, 09:56 AM   #219
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

You know, I'll take that from another angel --- though I'm unsure if we can chalk this up as a misconception, lol

As much Tim Russ struggled for a primary part in a trek series for the better part of 15 years and he's continued to be a pretty awesome beacon for carrying the Trek Torch, I often think Voyager could have been a whole bunch more interesting if we would have actually kept Tuvix around .

Chakotay's throw away line of "Tuvix is proving the saying a whole can be greater then the sum of its parts wrong" pretty much nailed how I felt about the character on the head.

However, the thing that I always felt sucked about the series is it always felt like we Voyager was losing crew members and magically throwing out higher numbers throughout the series, though characters that would have been awesome to see get adopted by the crew and not necessarily become regular reoccurring would have been nice to see.

Just among some characters that would have been interesting to see Voyager pickup:
- 3947 (From "Prototype"): At the end, they kind of realized they were dying.
- Denara Pel (From "Lifesigns"): She could have said she didn't want to go back.
- The Colonists (From "The Thaw"): Where did they REALLY have to go?
- Gegen (From "Distant Origin"): He probably would have wanted to be the first of his kind to return "home".
- Kellin (From "Unforgettable"): She was one of the first characters we had that could have probably easily 'feel in the background'.
- One (From "Drone"): Seemed like such a waste to get rid of the 32nd century borg that fast. Would have been neater to pick a better end for him.
- Valerie Archer (From "In the Flesh"): Would have been interesting to see her tag along for a while.
- Crell Moset (From "Nothing Human"): The Doctor and him had such an interest dynamic and it would have been fun playing the ethics of the situation a little longer.
- Kashyk (From "Counterpoint"): I think this guy had some awesome opportunity to be a crew member we'd see pop up once in a while. He really DID have the feel of 'looking for a new home' till the twist at the end.
- Ensign Gilmore (From "Equinox"): I think she had potential to be a more trusted member a la Lt. Cary.
- Some of the Klingons may have considered staying onboard...

I think I might be beating a dead horse by this point; just because we had a main cast doesn't mean we couldn't have seen some of these characters join the crew even if they didn't become permanent fixtures. Its not like other characters we met and learned to like such as Lt. Cary, Ensign Vorik, Ensign Wildman among others didn't fall into the backdrop.

I should also point out, Intrepid classes (according to memory beta) can hold 200 crew members, but generally carry under 150. We've heard numbers as low as 113 and as high as 151 :-\.
Old August 22 2013, 09:58 AM   #220
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I firmly believe that the Demon Planet gave birth to tens of... Hundreds of thousands of fully staffed USS Voyagers... And that at least in one of those many, many USS Voyagers... In the recent (ho hum!) Freaky Friday remake, Jamie Lee Curtis and that off-ginger catastrophe, after the switch, run towards each other at great velocity wishing that the collision would jostle their souls back into the correct bodies where they belong... That perhaps Tuvok and Neelix didn't charge like two staggs arguing over a really hot doe, and wound up stuffed inside each other in a completely familiure way.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:37 PM   #221
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
[all]

You know what would be cool, if you could get out of being trapped in tedious conversations about people's renovations and diets and crap by saying, "you know Janeway murdered Tuvix."
Shall we dub him patron saint of changing the subject?
Old August 22 2013, 05:39 PM   #222
Anwar
Vice Admiral

This could've been avoided if they just made Voyager a bigger class of ship like an older Heavy Cruiser or something. Those could carry nearly 1000 people, meaning they could show recurring characters when they wanted and then shove them off into some empty corridor when they didn't want to show them and focus on the central cast without complaints.

And make the Central Cast smaller, there was no need for Kim, Kes Neelix and even Torres to be regulars.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:41 PM   #223
R. Star
Rear Admiral

For the most part they were just reoccurring extras with their credits in the titles anyways.

I dunno, one of my favorite parts when I was watching DS9 for the first time was watching the credits at the beginning of the guest stars and being able to tell who's gonna be in this episode. Never really got that in Voyager.
Old August 22 2013, 06:13 PM   #224
KaraBear
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
For the most part they were just reoccurring extras with their credits in the titles anyways.

I dunno, one of my favorite parts when I was watching DS9 for the first time was watching the credits at the beginning of the guest stars and being able to tell who's gonna be in this episode. Never really got that in Voyager.
well yeah, with the nature of Voyager being stuck in the DQ they couldn't really have recurring characters like that, not like Dukat and such.

though I would have loved to have Seska pop in on occasion to cause some trouble
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 06:15 PM   #225
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Naturally you can't have a singular villain or antagonist, but they could've used people like Carey, Sam Wildman, Haren and the such more often. In fact given there are only 150 people on the ship, it would make perfect sense that you're seeing these people regularly even if they don't have a major role in any given episode.