Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 21 2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Pitch a Movie

Nick Offerman goes to his father's funeral and discovers he has a brother from his father's secret "other" family: Zach Galifianakis. Nick's whole square world comes unglued. Zach is a professional force of destruction.

I don't care what else happens. Just put these guys together.

What do you think?

Last edited by Triskelion; August 21 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:51 AM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Pitch a Movie

Stepbrothers - starring Will Farrell and - oh, wait.
Old August 21 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

How about this. A ten hour long movie, filmed in black and white, made up of long tracking shots over grand, bleak scenes of human suffering. The film would feature elliptical storytelling following many different characters, jumping backwards and forwards through time, and focus on the ghettoization of third world countries following the influx of foreign capital.

Make it happen BELA TARR! And make sure to poison at least three cats!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Opus
Commodore

"And it's called 'Lady Killer'?"

"'Brady Killer'! That's why he only kills women named Marcia, Jan or Cindy."
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Triskelion wrote: View Post
Nick Offerman goes to his father's funeral and discovers he has a brother from his father's secret "other" family: Zach Galifianakis. Nick's whole square world comes unglued. Zach is a professional force of destruction.

I don't care what else happens. Just put these guys together.

What do you think?

You've got some good ingredients but the wrong recipe here. Zach attends his father's funeral and the video "last will" expressly and hilariously states (through the visage of some old-hollywood manly leading man type) that in order to prove he isn't entirely useless, Zach has to go find Offerman's character (the son he had by an adventurer/hunter/outdoorswoman while on Safari [who if she appears can be played by Julie Andrews or the like and carry off a few scenes by being posh, old and English while wielding a hunting rifle.]) and together they have to conquer some survivalist challenge or hunt some notoriously elusive animal and if successful will be rewarded with half of his fortune each. If Zach comes back empty handed, he gets nothing.

Zach finds Offerman's character in Alaska or South America or whatever being manly and outdoorsy and exactly like his father always wanted Zach to be, Nick wants nothing to do with this soft rich guy who knows nothing about any of it.

Through the trials and tribulations of their task, they grow to like and then love each other, eventually bonding and accomplishing the task but deciding Zach is better off not taking his father's spiteful money and coming to stay with Offerman on his adventures (because it turns out he is already rich and never needed the money).

Nick might also find a love interest along the way, while Offerman surprises with a series of humorously implied one night stands with both men and women (and possibly a lion).
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Armageddon Earth
Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael B. Jordan, Emma Watson, Gary Oldman, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron

A time-traveling soldier from the 25th century and his alien partner travel back in time to warn modern-day world leaders of an impending alien invasion that would lead to humanity's enslavement.

Genre: Sci-fi, Action/Adventure, a la Independence Day, The Terminator

Budget: $115 million

Rating: PG–13

Last edited by Gryffindorian; August 21 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 07:36 AM   #7
sojourner
Vice Admiral

The sword in the stone appears in modern day Great Briton.

We follow a historian (Benedict Cumberbatch) and a Police Detective (Michael Fassbender) through the chaos and intrigue that erupts around this event.
Old August 21 2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Vernardhi, nice take on the premise. Why do I get the feeling Hemingway should be in there somewhere?

Sojourner, that's a trailer!

Stellar responses, all! Keep 'em coming!
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy play themselves as well as each other's sibling. Fart jokes. Hilarity ensues.
Starbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Jono
Rear Admiral

Pride and Prejudice and Aliens

Director: Michael Bay

Because love is lame, but fighting back aliens with giant explosions isn't.

Or a Monkey Island movie.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Mistral
Vice Admiral

A grizzled prospector (Harrison Ford) on an alien planet returns to his pre-fab house out in the wild country to discover his front door open. Carefully investigating, he finds a 2ft tall, fur covered humanoid creature in his shower stall. A friendship develops as time passes, only to be threatened by the Big Bad Corporation that owns the planet when it turns out the little guy might be sentient, there bye voiding the Corporation's charter of ownership over the whole planet. A court battle commences to determine if the little fuzzy guy is really intelligent-with the future of the planet hinging on the outcome.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

OPERATION: SPANX

An update of the Cary Grant/Tony Curtis comedy Operation: Petticoat as a political/submarine war drama.

Much like the USS Mason, a WWII destroyer with an all-black crew, the Navy decides to turn a Los Angeles-class submarine over to an all-female crew to see if women can hack it as submariners.

I imagine Demi Moore starring as the commander, with Kate Upton playing her sonar operator/lesbian lover. (Takes care of women in subs and gays in combat in one shot.)

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:32 PM   #13
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
A grizzled prospector (Harrison Ford) on an alien planet returns to his pre-fab house out in the wild country to discover his front door open. Carefully investigating, he finds a 2ft tall, fur covered humanoid creature in his shower stall. A friendship develops as time passes, only to be threatened by the Big Bad Corporation that owns the planet when it turns out the little guy might be sentient, there bye voiding the Corporation's charter of ownership over the whole planet. A court battle commences to determine if the little fuzzy guy is really intelligent-with the future of the planet hinging on the outcome.
Han? Wicket?
Old August 21 2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Yes. Somone should adapt H. Beam Piper's work into a movie. Little Fuzzy is a good start. ford would be good as Holloway. Jeff Bridges might also be a good choice. Just use Piper's original version of the story and not the Scalzi re-boot from a couple years ago.

Last edited by Mysterion; August 21 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Close-Up
Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emma Stone, Melissa McCarthy, Daniel Radcliffe, Olga Kurylenko

A promiscuous CIA agent (Gordon-Levitt) and his partner (Stone) are assigned by their feisty director (McCarthy) to work as photographers to infiltrate an international crime syndicate posing as a modeling agency in Milan that's run by a sleazy manager (Radcliffe).

Genre: Comedy, Action

Budget: $35 million

Rating: R