Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 20 2013, 07:22 PM   #151
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: The STAR TREK Movies, As Ranked By STAR TREK Con-Goers

Agenda wrote: View Post
13. Into Darkness
Don't know if I'd rate it last, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a fan.
Why? What difference does it make? If you don't like something, then you don't like it, and that ought to be that. Should it really require anyone else's agreement to validate an opinion?

Thought I was going crazy there for a minute. Look, people can dismiss this as a general hatred of nuTrek all they like,
Why? What general hatred? It's just another movie that (for whatever reason) some people have decided they don't like.

... but the fact that the first Abrams movie did much better in the rankings should tell you something.
And what does it tell me? Go on - please 'splain it for everyone.
Old August 21 2013, 04:11 PM   #152
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/378...=entertainment

Simon Pegg has words for those one hundred convention goers:

Simon Pegg wrote:
... it absolutely isn't the worst "Star Trek" movie. It's asinine, you know? It's ridiculous. And frustrating, as well, because a lot of hard work and love went into that movie, and all J.J. wanted to do was make a film that people really enjoyed. So, to be subject to that level of sort of, like, crass fucking ire, I just say fuck you.
We love you, Simon Pegg
Old August 21 2013, 04:17 PM   #153
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

LOL. So if Into Darkness wasn't the worst on that list, then The Final Frontier would be the worst, and Shatner would say "Fuck you?" to those who didn't like it? And if TFF wasn't the worst, then Insurrection would be the worst, so Johnathan Frakes would say "Fuck you?" in response?

Pegg, like the rest of the involved, have a pretty unprofessional attitude when it comes to criticism. So they didn't like your film, too bad. There are many films people don't like. There are probably also films Pegg doesn't like. I wonder if he wants to hear a Fuck you from those filmmakers just because his opinion differs. And when he took the job, he already knew how vocal and passionate the fanbase was. It's like moving into an apartment next to a railway and complaining about the noise.

Perhaps we should stop ranking films altogether because it might hurt the sensibilities of the people who got paid to make them.

As someone said somewhere before, they did rank Star Trek 2009 on #6/12 (13) films at that convention. Just like they ranked Frakes' First Contact #2 and Frakes' Insurrection #11. It's called taste.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:22 PM   #154
trevanian
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

... but the fact that the first Abrams movie did much better in the rankings should tell you something.
And what does it tell me? Go on - please 'splain it for everyone.
I'd imagine it tells us the same thing about the reboot that QUANTUM told us about the Bond pics ... that most people found it disappointing after being impressed (or fooled) into thinking the film preceeding it was something special.

Even the box office was very similar, with QUANTUM generating close to CR's output, as was the case with the TREK films, and in both cases, the sequel films costing a decent chunk more.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:33 PM   #155
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
As someone said somewhere before, they did rank Star Trek 2009 on #6/12 (13) films at that convention. Just like they ranked Frakes' First Contact #2 and Frakes' Insurrection #11. It's called taste.
I just think it's funny that that is the only poll I've seen that ranks Into Darkness dead last and them putting Galaxy Quest in there was simply a way to insult the film even more.

It really feels like a poll where the numbers were cooked. If there was actually a poll at all and the person responsible didn't just made it up because he/she has an ax to grind.
Old August 21 2013, 04:54 PM   #156
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

LOL. So if Into Darkness wasn't the worst on that list, then The Final Frontier would be the worst, and Shatner would say "Fuck you?" to those who didn't like it? And if TFF wasn't the worst, then Insurrection would be the worst, so Johnathan Frakes would say "Fuck you?" in response?

Pegg, like the rest of the involved, have a pretty unprofessional attitude when it comes to criticism. So they didn't like your film, too bad. There are many films people don't like. There are probably also films Pegg doesn't like. I wonder if he wants to hear a Fuck you from those filmmakers just because his opinion differs. And when he took the job, he already knew how vocal and passionate the fanbase was. It's like moving into an apartment next to a railway and complaining about the noise.

Perhaps we should stop ranking films altogether because it might hurt the sensibilities of the people who got paid to make them.

I don't think Pegg here is being any different than he usually is. The guy has a pretty foul mouth, and before he did Star Trek he used those same foul words against various odd-numbered Star Trek movies. What I'm getting at is that I don't think he's especially hurt or sensitive that a movie he starred in was shunned by this small group, rather, he's just rattling off as he usually does.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I just think it's funny that that is the only poll I've seen that ranks Into Darkness dead last and them putting Galaxy Quest in there was simply a way to insult the film even more.

It really feels like a poll where the numbers were cooked. If there was actually a poll at all and the person responsible didn't just made it up because he/she has an ax to grind.
It does feel that way. The problem with these polls is that you can't ever verify their authenticity, but you also have no proof to dismiss them as engineered.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:17 PM   #157
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

It's finally gotten to the point that the bullshit is getting called out. Taste has nothing to do with it.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:25 PM   #158
bbailey861
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/378...=entertainment

Simon Pegg has words for those one hundred convention goers:

Simon Pegg wrote:
... it absolutely isn't the worst "Star Trek" movie. It's asinine, you know? It's ridiculous. And frustrating, as well, because a lot of hard work and love went into that movie, and all J.J. wanted to do was make a film that people really enjoyed. So, to be subject to that level of sort of, like, crass fucking ire, I just say fuck you.
We love you, Simon Pegg
Two thumbs up!!
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 07:41 PM   #159
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
It's finally gotten to the point that the bullshit is getting called out. Taste has nothing to do with it.
^^^
OMO - pretty much this. I give a pig thumbs out to Simon Pegg for calling this bullshit poll for what it is - bullshit.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 07:55 PM   #160
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
13. Into Darkness
Don't know if I'd rate it last, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a fan. Thought I was going crazy there for a minute. Look, people can dismiss this as a general hatred of nuTrek all they like, but the fact that the first Abrams movie did much better in the rankings should tell you something.
What should it tell you? That Star trek fans who grew up watching the TNG era don't really like the different aesthetics of TOS, and think any new Star Trek should have the TNG 'We're always right/Rarely fight' aspect?

STiD was truer to the original 'Star Trek' (You remember that version of Star Trek - without which TNG, DS9, et al would have existed); then even the majority of TOS films. It's 'more' Trek (IMO) then anything done in the TNG era.
Absolutely. JJ-Trek is very much derived from the source material and has (rightly, to my mind) ignored the 'evolved humanity' bullshit that pervaded TNG-Trek. TOS was conceived as an action-adventure series set in space and the JJ films fit into that concept quite nicely. I'm continually shocked at just how faithful they are to TOS, actually. Say what you will about plotholes and weird science errors, these movies are like a blast from the past: a sixties sensibility done with modern pacing and effects.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 11:36 PM   #161
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

The Final Frontier was half a decent Trek movie. So was Insurrection. Neither inarguably belongs in the last-place spot.

I stopped ranking them a long time ago, but not out of concern that anyone's feelings might get hurt. Face it: taking a collection of films—and particularly the collection of Star Trek movies—and arranging them in any particular order other than chronological so as to proclaim that "This movie is better than that one, and that one, and that one. Nyah!" well, it's pretty pointless, and ultimately highly subjective. There is no objectively, infallibly right ranking.
Old August 22 2013, 12:55 AM   #162
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Also, I don't think Pegg's anger was directed so much at the ranking itself as it was the inevitable accompanying vitriol.
Old August 22 2013, 02:58 PM   #163
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Simon Pegg wrote:
it absolutely isn't the worst "Star Trek" movie. It's asinine, you know? It's ridiculous. And frustrating
"...but other Star Trek movies are even more asinine, ridiculous and frustrating, so that means it can't be the worst!"
Old August 22 2013, 03:29 PM   #164
AUbricklogic
Ensign

Rankings are subject to so many factors, I don't think any "list" should be taken too seriously. Whether its from this convention, contrived from a very few voters and not from the community as a whole, or on a web forum like this one where its 1 person giving their personal list, its all complete garbage.

The way I see it, J.J. was just being paid to make some blockbusters for Hollywood. He himself has stated he's not a fan of Star Trek and has no interest in it or its history. He makes movies that make money and that's enough for the industry to keep him in it. What he did with these 2 new releases is bring in a bunch of new people who are aware of Star Trek and will probably look further into the series now that they've been introduced to it which is something I'm sure most here would agree the scene needed very badly after the drop-off from the 90s.

The movie itself had a huge amount of plot holes and inconsistencies "KHAAAAAN" should've been "MARCUUUUS" since Khan had nothing to do with the circumstances surrounding Kirk's pseudo-death, but quite literally all the Star Trek movies have had inconsistencies to some degree. You can argue that the ones in STID are larger than in some others like STTMP but at that point, you're just grasping at straws.

What we should really take away from all this is that there is now a huge renewed interest in Star Trek as a franchise. The question now is what will we do with it? Personally, I think a new round of TV saturation is necessary to keep the momentum going. The numbers clearly point to a large audience ready to support the series while the studios sit and bicker about franchising rights and cock-blocking the ideas set forth by the previous casts.

Instead of directing hate towards other fans or differences in "what movie was better", perhaps we should direct this hate towards the studios for stifling the momentum being created by the new films and essentially killing off the "New Trek influx" before it can begin to thrive.
AUbricklogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:39 PM   #165
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It was Khan's attack on the helpless Enterprise after beaming Kirk, Scotty and Carol to the brig ("No ship should go down without her captain!") which damaged the warp core, causing them to fall to Earth. Had Khan not attacked, power wouldn't have failed, so Spock being mad at Khan is very much justified (there's so much going on I Khan's attack too on my first viewing)