MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old August 21 2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Beginner tips for Star Trek Online

at this point it doesn't matter. he just needs to patch the game files he already has.
There won't be a second or third patch directly necessary.
The next time he needs to patch, it will be when the game regularly updates, and that patch will be significantly smaller.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:37 AM   #17
T J
Commodore

I look forward to you enjoying this game, keep on keeping on!
Old August 28 2013, 12:00 PM   #18
Rocketeer
Captain

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Am downloading it now, and have never played before

Any advice for a player just about to start out?
1) Quite a bit of beginner advice is in the regular STO forum. You just have to read through it. Don't be afraid to ask members of the TrekBBS Armada for advice.

2) If you need an original install disc of the game, let me know. I have several (if I can find them in the moving boxes...)

3) I have the Amazon Collector's Edition and the Steam? Deluxe Digital Download which give bonuses that are useful/fun to starting players.

4) I'm still off the Internet at home. They installed it yesterday but nothing's working. (Ensuring that something is operational is obviously not part of their contract. I can call tech support but it cost 0.43 Euros per minute. The last time I called tech support I was on hold for 20 minutes.)

If and when they get my line operational, feel free to give me a shout. I enjoy doing the lower level missions.

Thanks

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Tribble puncher
Commander

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Infern0 wrote: View Post
Am downloading it now, and have never played before

Any advice for a player just about to start out?
1) Quite a bit of beginner advice is in the regular STO forum. You just have to read through it. Don't be afraid to ask members of the TrekBBS Armada for advice.

2) If you need an original install disc of the game, let me know. I have several (if I can find them in the moving boxes...)

3) I have the Amazon Collector's Edition and the Steam? Deluxe Digital Download which give bonuses that are useful/fun to starting players.

4) I'm still off the Internet at home. They installed it yesterday but nothing's working. (Ensuring that something is operational is obviously not part of their contract. I can call tech support but it cost 0.43 Euros per minute. The last time I called tech support I was on hold for 20 minutes.)

If and when they get my line operational, feel free to give me a shout. I enjoy doing the lower level missions.

Thanks

You still have codes?...I missed out on the Red Matter Capacitor....hint hint
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:51 PM   #20
Rocketeer
Captain

I bought 3 Collector Editions when they were $6-7 on Amazon. I gave away the last code for that recently. I probably still have codes for the basic game which I bought for 2 Euros a piece at a Woolworths in Germany.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:58 PM   #21
SFC3
Ensign

View SFC3's Twitter Profile

I think the Steam version is updated, when I installed it there wasn't much patching.
SFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Majestic
Ensign

The amount of patches and weekly fixes are a real pain with this game.

But if you want to have some fun in the short term and remain a F2P player it's worth the wait. I have a life time membership and I personally haven't enjoyed the direction they have taken the game.

I haven't played for a few months now. I will return at some point, but I find taking a long break is sometimes good.

A suggestion, stick with only one or two characters, over the past 12 months they have made it hard to run multiple characters and actively develop them due to the introduction of both the rep and fleet assignment systems.

I find the Klingon faction the most fun, but it's also the least developed. The Federation has the most players, but they also have a lot of people who harass new players, so be careful there. I don't know much about the Romulan faction as I haven't played much there, but considering you have to side with either the Fed or KDF you're pretty much playing one of those factions anyway just as a Rom in a Rom ship. Though some of the missions are fun, the Romulans and Klingons do have the best missions that are the most fun.
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote