RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,523
Posts: 5,512,405
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 441
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 21 2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Charlie X

All it would take is a traffic jam on the way to work to set Charlie off.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Charlie X

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
It is a shocking scene particularly for that era of television. Yes, she would have died rather quickly.
Presumably medical could have inserted a breathing tube into her neck and hopefully the Thasians undid the damage.
That's if somebody got to her quickly enough. There's no evidence in the episode that anyone even noticed her distress. It was certainly never mentioned or shown later. If the Thasians didn't whisk her off to wherever the "disappeared" people went (presumably they were safe there, since Janice and the guy from the gym came back unharmed), that's yet another crewmember who was killed and nobody noticed.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: Charlie X

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'd reply but Charlie took away my face . . . .
That scene is why I will never watch this episode again. It's the stuff of nightmares. That woman would have suffocated, since she had no way to breathe! My grandfather was watching it with me, and he was shocked. This was back around 1975-1976, and I still remember what he said: "That's horrible!"
My father showed me that episode when I was six. Luckily, he covered my eyes at that scene, or I might have been scarred for life.

-
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Charlie X

Timewalker wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
It is a shocking scene particularly for that era of television. Yes, she would have died rather quickly.
Presumably medical could have inserted a breathing tube into her neck and hopefully the Thasians undid the damage.
That's if somebody got to her quickly enough. There's no evidence in the episode that anyone even noticed her distress. It was certainly never mentioned or shown later. If the Thasians didn't whisk her off to wherever the "disappeared" people went (presumably they were safe there, since Janice and the guy from the gym came back unharmed), that's yet another crewmember who was killed and nobody noticed.
Well when Charlie defaced her (so to speak) she was among a group of people laughing out of sight behind the bulkhead so she wasn't actually alone. But given everyone laughing stopped when Charlie did his thing we can assume he "defaced" them all. We only saw the one woman come around the corner, but we can assume her companions were in much the same condition.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: Charlie X

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
That's if somebody got to her quickly enough. There's no evidence in the episode that anyone even noticed her distress. It was certainly never mentioned or shown later. If the Thasians didn't whisk her off to wherever the "disappeared" people went (presumably they were safe there, since Janice and the guy from the gym came back unharmed), that's yet another crewmember who was killed and nobody noticed.
Well when Charlie defaced her (so to speak) she was among a group of people laughing out of sight behind the bulkhead so she wasn't actually alone. But given everyone laughing stopped when Charlie did his thing we can assume he "defaced" them all. We only saw the one woman come around the corner, but we can assume her companions were in much the same condition.
If Charlie were ever integrated back into society, and Starfleet decided he had killed those people, Charlie would have to serve time in a prison, which couldn't end well.

-
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 03:14 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Charlie X

Nine of Four wrote: View Post

If Charlie were ever integrated back into society, and Starfleet decided he had killed those people, Charlie would have to serve time in a prison, which couldn't end well.
Charlie Evans simply could never be reintegrated into society. It would be like turning Gary Mitchell loose in society.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Charlie X

Didn't the Thasians repair the damage Charlie had done? So other than those on the Antares everyone Charlie harmed on the Enterprise was restored.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:06 PM   #23
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Charlie X

But that's the point. The Antares crew was dead. The woman (and anyone else) who suffocated because Charlie literally deleted their noses and mouths, would presumably not have been brought back - because they were DEAD.

It would have been a terrifying death, as they couldn't breathe, couldn't call for help, and couldn't even see to try to go for help. They'd have had less than 2 minutes, tops, and that's only if they'd immediately held their breath as soon as it happened.

About the only chance they'd have had would be if some other crew came by and got them immediate help, or if they'd grabbed a knife and cut into their own heads to open a way - any way - to get oxygen into their lungs.

Any way you look at it, this was a truly horrible thing, and I can't see anyone who could do such actions as being redeemable.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: Charlie X

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Any way you look at it, this was a truly horrible thing, and I can't see anyone who could do such actions as being redeemable.
I agree whole-heartedly. Charlie killed approximately 30 people, and would most certainly serve a life sentence if he was ever accepted back into society.
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Charlie X

Timewalker wrote: View Post
But that's the point. The Antares crew was dead. The woman (and anyone else) who suffocated because Charlie literally deleted their noses and mouths, would presumably not have been brought back - because they were DEAD.
I didn't get that idea from the episode. I got the impression all those harmed on the Enterprise were restored.

Not that you're wrong, because what they said at the end was ambiguous.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:26 PM   #26
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain
 
The Cubed Ho's Avatar
 
Location: Foxhot
Re: Charlie X

During the above-mentioned scene the only sounds after Charlie leaves are from the faceless woman. The men's shadows are clearly frozen. I'd guess they were given the same temporary treatment Kirk and Spock were given the moment Charlie left his brig, if they were lucky.

He's seems much angrier with the crewwomen. Not just Ensign Faceless, but Yeomans Rand and ''Lizard'' Lawton, the yellow uniformed woman who ages 50 years in two seconds, plus the final frozen woman in the corridor. Misogynist resentment on his part?
Don't forget Uhura was practically electrocuted at her console as well.
__________________
''The African killer bee is in no way to be confused with the hard-working, industrious American honeybee, which creates abundant honey and pollinates our flowers.''
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Charlie X

If Charlie were ever integrated back into society, and Starfleet decided he had killed those people, Charlie would have to serve time in a prison, which couldn't end well.
Not in the TOS context, he wouldn't. He would be sent to get therapy in an asylum, and if that didn't work, he'd be sent to Elba II until he got cured (which might be life, but apparently would only be until "Whom Gods Destroy" when an universal cure for the final incurables appears to be introduced). No set length of incarceration, no punitive angle to it.

I mean, look what happened to Lenore Karidian. She murdered half a dozen people, and got the therapy. Probably folks like "Lethe" were mass murderers or worse, too, before receiving their therapy; it's just that Dr. Adams practiced a variant of it that wasn't exactly accepted, and got poor Lethe as the result. Other asylums would produce better reformed murderers.

As an aside, oxygen deprivation probably isn't that big a problem in the TOS era: lungs can be entirely bypassed and tri-ox injected into the blood instead. And it's something found in every paramedic's pouch, apparently. So rescue before extensive brain damage is certainly a possibility, although far from a given.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:42 PM   #28
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain
 
The Cubed Ho's Avatar
 
Location: Foxhot
Re: Charlie X

You REALLY believe they'd go to all that trouble to save a non-regular?
__________________
''The African killer bee is in no way to be confused with the hard-working, industrious American honeybee, which creates abundant honey and pollinates our flowers.''
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Bah Humbug
Admiral
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Location: Gary Mitchell ¯\_(°·O)_/¯
Re: Charlie X

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nine of Four wrote: View Post

If Charlie were ever integrated back into society, and Starfleet decided he had killed those people, Charlie would have to serve time in a prison, which couldn't end well.
Charlie Evans simply could never be reintegrated into society. It would be like turning Gary Mitchell loose in society.
Hey, I'm not that bad. I'm great at parties.
__________________
Not one shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Bah Humbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 01:50 AM   #30
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Charlie X

I have always hated Charlie as a character. He is much less likable than any Klingon or Romulan that appeared in the original series, and even villains of the week like Khan, Apollo, Roger Korby, Kodos and Flint were more sympathetic.
__________________
Check the circuit!
Mr. Spock, The Cage
(The very first line of dialogue in the series)
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.