IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old August 20 2013, 07:55 PM   #196
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, dude! Why don't you plan a big book-burning party for Star Trek Compendium from 1981 - it has lots of nice behind-the-scenes pics in it! How dare they include images that startrekhistory owned/was going to own 20 years later. :-)
Old August 20 2013, 08:03 PM   #197
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

stcanada29, if you're replying to me, you're confirming my suspicions.
Old August 20 2013, 08:09 PM   #198
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Melakon wrote: View Post
stcanada29, if you're replying to me, you're confirming my suspicions.
I was actually replying to the "only looks like a turd" remark. I have no clue about a boutique publisher. Flower boutique, LOL.
Old August 20 2013, 08:14 PM   #199
Daddy Todd
Captain

stcanada29 wrote: View Post
Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

Exactly, and you seem to have no problems with this type of bootleg activity -- while you are freaking out over the legal reprinting of public domain images? How peculiar!
Dude(tte), if you think you're helping the publisher's case, you're wrong. Please rethink your approach.
I'm not invoking the distasteful analogies - bordering on profanity - to make my point, dude.
Marc? Is that you?
Old August 20 2013, 08:15 PM   #200
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

. . .Flower boutique, LOL.
Or a fashion boutique, yeah. Boutique publishing seems to be ar relatively new term, I saw a question about it dated 2008.

From all the "dude"s begin thrown around, you must be higher than I am right now.
Old August 20 2013, 08:20 PM   #201
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Melakon wrote: View Post
. . .Flower boutique, LOL.
Or a fashion boutique, yeah. Boutique publishing seems to be ar relatively new term, I saw a question about it dated 2008.

From all the "dude"s begin thrown around, you must be higher than I am right now.
I'm always high on my love for TOS, dudes and dudettes. By all means don't buy the freakin' book if you're not inclined - but I have a copy and those pics are a tiny bit of everything that it's got!
Old August 20 2013, 08:27 PM   #202
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, dude! Why don't you plan a big book-burning party for Star Trek Compendium from 1981 - it has lots of nice behind-the-scenes pics in it! How dare they include images that startrekhistory owned/was going to own 20 years later. :-)
Keep digging that hole.
Old August 20 2013, 08:29 PM   #203
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

It would be interesting to see if the publisher considers releasing he next volume without the images. They might do well to include some nice artwork--something like what Bjo Trimble did years ago with the Concordance If they do so, it would be interesting to see if their sales are higher or lower than this first volume.

Probably the overarching observation in all this is that, as I'm sure even the Collector would concede, filmclip restorers now have less incentive to continue to spend their time and resources in what would seem to be simply the thankless task of making the Collector's image-collecting life easier for him.

"The turd is just a tiny bit of everything that the punchbowl's got!
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
Old August 20 2013, 09:20 PM   #204
Nine of Four
Commander

I've read more Trek books than I can count, and I'm hoping these three live up to their predecessors.
Old August 20 2013, 10:01 PM   #205
stcanada29
Lieutenant

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

Not cool, IMO, how you keep referring to legally reproduced images of William Shatner and TOS behind the scenes pics as turd, dude. I thought you were a fan of the series.
Old August 20 2013, 10:03 PM   #206
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Not cool, IMO, how you keep referring to legally reproduced images of William Shatner and TOS behind the scenes pics as turd, dude. I thought you were a fan of the series. I guess you know what they say, "It takes one to know one". So I guess there's some foul smelling stuff involved in Phase II, eh?
I think the reason that you/they hang so tight to "legally" is that ethically you know you screwed the pooch.
Old August 20 2013, 10:07 PM   #207
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

For what its worth, the Compendium was an authorized publication from Pocket Books, which was owned at the time by Gulf + Western, owner of Paramount and Star Trek. I doubt that anyone was or is going to sue the owner of Trek, then or now.
Old August 20 2013, 10:28 PM   #208
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Not cool, IMO, how you keep referring to legally reproduced images of William Shatner and TOS behind the scenes pics as turd, dude. I thought you were a fan of the series.
Okay, then: it is actually delicious, high-quality foie gras, caviar, and truffles that we have floating in the punchbowl. But I'm not certain that makes the product all that much more palatable.

I thought you liked and respected and were a fan of the work these filmclip restorers have been doing.

Thank you, Collector, wherever you are, for now wrecking that!
Old August 20 2013, 10:34 PM   #209
stcanada29
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post

I think the reason that you/they hang so tight to "legally" is that ethically you know you screwed the pooch.
I said "legally" because others here were strongly implying illegal reproduction of the pics was taking place -- or permission was required for those images - which isn't true. The truth is that photos which are in the public domain are free for all to republish. And it's not unethical for books to include images from the public domain. Done in the past, and will be done time and again in the future. And I don't see why you are so convinced startrekhistory was the source for all of these images versus all the old magazines, other film clips, books and fanzines in existence that are just as likely to have been sources? Is there a BW photo in the book that is unique to startrekhistory that was never printed elsewhere ... I kinda doubt that. Just considering the proliferation of these same images all over the web for years makes the existence of a single source less likely, IMO. I think it's possible some pics on startrekhistory share the same source as those in the book. Are you condemning every single photo in the book or just one or two? I actually thought I saw startrekhistory credited in there for some images.

Last edited by stcanada29; August 20 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old August 20 2013, 10:51 PM   #210
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

BillJ wrote: View Post

I said "legally" because others here were strongly implying illegal reproduction of the pics was taking place -- or permission was required for those images - which isn't true. The truth is that photos which are in the public domain are free for all to republish. And it's not unethical for books to include images from the public domain. Done in the past, and will be done time and again in the future. And I don't see why you are so convinced startrekhistory was the source for all of these images versus all the old magazines, other film clips, books and fanzines in existence that are just as likely to have been sources? Is there a BW photo in the book that is unique to startrekhistory that was never printed elsewhere ... I kinda doubt that. Just considering the proliferation of these same images all over the web for years makes the existence of a single source less likely, IMO. I think it's possible some pics on startrekhistory share the same source as those in the book.
"How do you know it's startrekhistory's turds? They might be turds from any number of sources. And besides: it's not illegal to dump turds into the punchbowl."

I'm still not convinced that it was actually an asset to include these images in the book--no matter how entitled the publisher might have been to do so.
Closed Thread